: Upgrading 93/94 FWB to 95/96 mirrors?

carguy16
11-14-04, 05:23 PM
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Cadillac/Fleetwood/PLP1270644/20194

They sell mirrors that have the power and heat, but you have to paint them your own color, for $99.00 bucks a piece. I just thought it would be a neat idea to retrofit our small dorky mirrors with the ones the 95/96's have, it really makes the car look better. I mean, when you look at how huge the car is and how tiny the mirrors look on 93/94, then look at the 95/96's, its night and day.

Of course:

How to patch the hole from the old mirrors
how to mount the new mirror
will the power cable be compatible?

But, it would look awesome. Check out this site, thanks for the link Leloz, everyone can benefit from this, check out their performance page too.

509Rider
11-14-04, 06:56 PM
I upgraded mine it is not that hard you have to fill the old mirror hole, be careful when drilling the holes for the new mirrors they have to just right if they are off they will push on your weather stripping and make you windows harder to roll up, and probly wear out your regulator, harness plugs right in, no cutting required. That price is cheap I bought mine from the factory, I worked at gm so they were like 150 a piece. I am glad I updated mine I like it a lot more.

scurling
11-14-04, 10:34 PM
Call me old fashion, but i like the '94 mirrors just the way they are. The car doesn't have that wind tunnel design look which the newer mirrors invoke.

Besides, the way I hear it, most owners on thie forum drive so fast, they don't need to check the rear view unless backing up. :rofl:

ocjmakaveli
11-15-04, 11:03 PM
Besides, the way I hear it, most owners on thie forum drive so fast, they don't need to check the rear view unless backing up. :rofl:

THIS IS ME ALL THE WAY

RBraczyk
11-16-04, 06:33 AM
Its gonna need a lot of work. Your going to have to respray your doors if thats how the mirrors are mounted.

Bowser
11-16-04, 10:17 AM
now that i ve had both i think its primarily a matter of style and taste because you can get the finest visibility by sticking those little round convex mirrors onto the ones you have now ...
i had the '93 since new and kinda hankered for the 95-6 mirror style from the time i first saw it ... but in shopping to replace the car it struck me that the 93-4 style has a note of "classic elegance" in most colors while the '95-6 is as you said a bit sleeker and more wind tunnel.. i ve noticed that i now can adjust the '95 to eliminate the blind spot COMPLETELY ... but then because my garage is narrow they really are more difficult to walk by... it DOES seem a lot of work... when i thought of changing mine i toyed with the idea of covering the old hole with a caddy emblem or some kind of medallion...

HotRodSaint
11-16-04, 12:14 PM
now that i ve had both i think its primarily a matter of style and taste because you can get the finest visibility by sticking those little round convex mirrors onto the ones you have now ...

I've read that later mirrors (mine) make more wind noise.

I also read that the later ones increase MPG slightly.

I like the aero look produced by the new mirrors. I also like the unlcuttered look it produces.

But that's me. I do want to have them chromed though! :thumbsup:

ocjmakaveli
11-17-04, 02:08 PM
I've read that later mirrors (mine) make more wind noise.

I also read that the later ones increase MPG slightly.

I like the aero look produced by the new mirrors. I also like the unlcuttered look it produces.

regarding wind noise that might possibly be caused by improper sealing or not enough padding between the side mirror and interior of the car because of the slightly limited space in between that area of the door although this could be fixed probably.

the mpg gain is SOO FALSE If side mirrors create enough drag to really cause a mpg gain when changed then I would really be amazed considering our cars overall weight would really be virtually the same.........i might consider taking my caddy emblem off the front hood for aero dynamic gains

besides the side mirrors still stick out its just a couple inches less probably a 2-3 inch or considering that they are wider the overall width maybe exactly the same as 94 mirrors ..oh well :bonkers:

ill admit the newer side mirrors make it fit into the newer styles/designs and the older mirrors has a slight retro look which i like BUT As many fail to remember or realize there is a big reason why our side mirrors are designed that way and of course its so that you can look at mirrors completely without interference from your dash lol...

here are some pics from an older post from a modded 94 with newer 95-96 complete door exchange

http://www.rejuvesite.com/webphotos/BlueDoors3.jpg

http://www.rejuvesite.com/webphotos/BlueDoors2.jpg

not worth the money unless you go all out and actually change the dash or modify it somehow WHY change one blind spot for another? btw i never had any blind spot problems with my car money better spent would be a sunday afternoon learning how to use our 94 mirrors :D

post is here http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000364

HotRodSaint
11-18-04, 12:15 PM
regarding wind noise that might possibly be caused by improper sealing or not enough padding between the side mirror and interior of the car because of the slightly limited space in between that area of the door although this could be fixed probably.

The additional wind noise is due to the mirrors. It's documented and logical considering how the mirror would change the manner in which the deflected wind is forced to vortex at the window, instead of slipping around the mirror as in the old design. There might be a way to add sound deading in that area though.

the mpg gain is SOO FALSE If side mirrors create enough drag to really cause a mpg gain when changed then I would really be amazed considering our cars overall weight would really be virtually the same.........i might consider taking my caddy emblem off the front hood for aero dynamic gains

I'm not an aerodynmicist and I've never had my car in a wind tunnel, though I've visited Dan Gurney's American Eagle Racings wind tunnel a long time ago.

But if you remove surface area contact, you reduce wind drag and increase fuel mileage. It's probably negligable and in the tenths of a gallon. But at Bonneville it might be good for an additional 2-3 miles per hour on the top speed. Removing the hood ornament might be good for another 1/2 - 1! ;)

Vehicle weight is not tied to aerodynamics, so I am missing your point on this. But I have some ideas to shed some unneeded pounds, if that time should come. But not so save fuel! :devil:

besides the side mirrors still stick out its just a couple inches less probably a 2-3 inch or considering that they are wider the overall width maybe exactly the same as 94 mirrors ..oh well :bonkers:

Aerodynamics is only concerned with surface area and the ability of the wind to pass over (or under) it. One only need look at race cars to see how this theory is applied. I would never be able to use the tiny mirrors used on F1 cars.

So if you measure that surface area of both style mirrors, there is less surface contact with the wind on the new mirrors. Mostly because of the large post holding that old mirror to the door, not the size of the mirror itself.

But at the end of the day, any performance gain is probably so small that it is really just a matter of taste.

HotRodSaint
11-18-04, 12:17 PM
not worth the money unless you go all out and actually change the dash or modify it somehow WHY change one blind spot for another?

Is it a dash pad redesign? Or a dashboard redesign?

A dash pad would be relatively cheap and easy.

A dash would be a pain in the butt.

Bowser
12-17-04, 02:40 PM
i think i immediately noticed LESS wind noise from the '95 sideview mirrors than from the '93... i spose other factors could be involved tho

evilrussian
12-17-04, 06:56 PM
If I were you, I'd change the front doors to a new style. The labor involved in patching is gonna be more than just a respray on 95-96 doors, imo...
If you do convert you'll get the benefit of a "brekaway" design. The sheet metal damage is imminent when mirrors get hit on a 93-94.
As far as aerodynamics concerned, you'd have to drive really friggin fast to see the differnce, imho...

HotRodSaint
12-18-04, 12:36 AM
As far as aerodynamics concerned, you'd have to drive really friggin fast to see the differnce, imho...

And removing them would be better for a Bonneville run.

I wonder if it'd be possible to crack 200 in a highly modified car?

ocjmakaveli
12-20-04, 02:34 AM
I still dont understand how come people here think that about 1-2 inches makes a noticeable difference as if our mirrors create so much drag?

I would be more concernedd about slamming my car to about 1 inch off the ground to increase aero-dynamics and shaving the corners off my cars hood etc.

IF I was truly concerned about 200+ mph air drag I would take them off and bondo the hole and maybe paint it too.

Honestly though I sincerely doubt the change is anything that can be measured because any increase with a change like this would definitely be a very insignifact amount.

Mostly mental.

This mostly came about has a rumor that was believed my some because of a "newer" model.

Btw If your concerned with aero-dynamics you are really driving the wrong car I would buy a corvette if aero-dynamics is of concern. Our cars are the widest box full length cars ever made excluding limousines etc. which i doubt anyone here owns......