: window tinting and radio reception

Trionalaw
02-18-12, 11:17 AM
I just picked up last week my 2012 CTS-V coupe. I read in the owner's manual that tinting the windows interferes with radio reception.anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks so much,

Jim

6speeder
02-18-12, 12:57 PM
I thought the shark fin on the roof was the integrated cellular/satellite/radio antenna. If so, there would be no effect from tinting.

Bigron
02-18-12, 03:52 PM
I went 3M Crystalline. Since it is non-metalic it won't cause any problems. Granted I have no heard of anyone complaining about other tint.

BigDog001
02-18-12, 04:40 PM
I just picked up last week my 2012 CTS-V coupe. I read in the owner's manual that tinting the windows interferes with radio reception.anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks so much,

Jim

I had my car tinted - I have had no cell or Radio problems - on another point, I have a V coupe and they had a lot of trouble getting to the back window.

Jim

OldRoadDawg
02-18-12, 05:54 PM

Thanks so much,

Jim

Yep. The AM reception on my 2009 sdn is terrible. I checked with the installer and he confirmed that he used a metallic tint.
When the weather warms up and I pull the V out of storage, I will have him replace the tint on the back glass where the antenna grid is. Hopefully he can do it without screwing anything up.

XM comes in off the roof mount and FM is OK, but I rarely listen to FM.

Trionalaw
02-19-12, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all. Looks like it will have to be no-metallic.

GMX322V S/C
02-19-12, 01:20 PM
I did ceramic years ago (F1 Pinnacle) for this very reason. If I were to do it again today, I'd go with crystalline as its performance exceeds ceramic.

thebigjimsho
02-19-12, 02:43 PM
My dealer tinted the windows well before I bought it. Don't know what type, but I have no reception issues...

Donsv
03-01-12, 12:57 PM
That owners manual ALSO says it creates and Issue with GPS. Since that's an LOS process it won't matter what the tinting material is, if the GPS can't See the satellite. I backed off putting them on my Black.

GMX322V S/C
03-01-12, 01:43 PM
GPS uses radio frequencies that the ceramic and crystalline tints are transparent to. Besides, I thought the GPS antenna is inside the sharkfin...

----------

I stand corrected: the nav antenna is under the dashboard, near the base of the windshield (probably under the plastic defroster vent trim).

ShapeShifter
03-18-12, 05:43 PM
I'd like to do about 35% tint on all side windows and maybe the rear too, or just a tad bit darker back there. But wondering how good the tint will actually look on the rear window? Hopefully, those grid lines wouldn't become more visible after installation? Never checked out a tinted one close up.

thebigjimsho
03-20-12, 12:11 PM
Looks good. Doit!