: can a N* fit in an 89 Deville?

Adam
11-14-04, 06:57 AM
my brother is getting my 89 Deville here soon and he wants to put a N* in it. will one fit? would he have to get a new transmission? computer chip? he is looking to find one from a 97-99 Deville.

Ranger
11-14-04, 06:47 PM
This has been asked before. Check the archives but I think the basic answer was don't even think about it.

BeelzeBob
11-14-04, 11:34 PM
Basically a huge undertaking that would hardly be justified in terms of the cost and time required to do it.

The 89 was a throttle body injected engine .... all Northstars are port fuel injected. That is the first problem you have.. Not only are all the electronics in the 89 a completely different generation of device than anything on a Northstar but the whole system is set up for TBI and not PFI.

The trans in the 89 will not hold up to a Northstar for very long....you really need to use the 4T80E that is behind all TFWD Northstars. That opens up a whole new set of problems.

Just find a Deville with a Northstar in it already, buy it and call it a day. If you really want to have a Northstar deville this is by far the simplest, easiest and cheapest way to get one.

Besides...what is the point. When you are all done you have an 89 Deville with a Northstar...it will not be worth anything nor perform as well as any other production car that has a Northstar as the orginal installation from the factory. Not to pour cold water on this idea...but it really isn't something that you want to pursue in my opinion.

Adam
11-16-04, 06:26 PM
my brother wanted to do this, not me. i didnt know the answer to his question so i figured id ask. thanks for replying, i didnt know it would be such a hassle.