: Pages not loading...

Kingoftypos
02-17-12, 02:29 PM
For the last couple days I have been finding random pages not loading. So far is only the actual discussion threads. Some loads up all the way as it should. Some will only load the first couple of postings. Then there are the ones that load up only the "header" of the next person who posted, but I can't see anything they wrote.

Reloading the page does not help. Restarting the browser does not help. Restarting the computer helps, but only for a few page opens then it starts acting up again.

Running Windows 7, have been since it came out.

Firefox browser... just updated it today, not sure how long it was out for. But updating had no effect.

Just tried IE, it was working with all the pages. However, the problem is random and it may not come up for several page openings. So I don't if it's just FireFox at this time or not.

But I can say this, the Cadillac Forum does work all the time. Via iPod Touch.

KOT

----------

As ironey would have it...

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz283/kingoftypos/Pagesnotloading.png

KOT

JimmyH
02-17-12, 02:44 PM
I have been getting a lot of server-overloaded messages lately. Sal is aware of the problem and has the webmaster looking into it.

It's been very snappy today, for me.

Ranger
02-17-12, 03:29 PM
:yeah:
I've been noticing that on quite a few occasions lately.

Kingoftypos
02-17-12, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah, last week I was getting the overload messages too. But the problem now is something I haven't seen before. I just wanted to get the word out on it.

KOT

Submariner409
02-17-12, 06:03 PM
Noticed long load times - NOT "page loading" errors - off and on the last few days. Someone is tinkering with the software to clean up the site.

Doesn't make any difference whether it's Windows XP SP3, Vista, or 7. Three computers, not willing to cough up the new software bucks, so I'm stuck with 3 OS.

smackdownCTSV
02-19-12, 08:04 PM
Kill the ads and it will be quicker.

JimmyH
02-19-12, 09:46 PM
kill the pointless posting, and it will be quicker yet

maeng9981
02-21-12, 12:57 AM
Besides this, I also noticed messages about long running scripts and the site falls into a halt. Happens in every browser, only the IE is kind enough to tell that the long running script is slowing it down. Tried other network, still the same issue here and there.

CadillacLuke24
02-21-12, 02:12 AM
I don't mean to be a hoot, but it's doing the same thing with me. The page will partially load at first, and then after some refreshes it boots all the way. That and part of it may be the wonderful internet here on campus. Most of the time it's great, but as one might imagine on a public govt server that hosts a university with an enrollment of 13k, it bogs down. :nono: One of these days I'm going to frankenstein an infreakingcredible :D machine with 10 terabites of storage, a couple hundred gigabites of ram, a 8.0 megahertz processor, and other reefreakingdiculous components so it's CTS-V fast :D One of these days, when I have this mythical thing called disposable income, I'm going to be contributing bit time to this site to help you guys out. After all, I've gotten so much from you guys. Thanks :D :thumbsup: :D

Lord Cadillac
02-21-12, 03:33 PM
Just letting you guys know that we're getting a new, much more powerful server in the coming weeks. We're working on putting together something very powerful. When we got the current server in 2010, it was "brand new" but based on 2008 technology. It's a great server but we're getting too much traffic for it these days. The new server will be based on 2011 technology - so everything about it is "new".

Things were going really great until about September of 2011 when traffic started going on. We use way more than a terabyte of bandwidth each month now.

CadillacLuke24
02-21-12, 04:05 PM
On the dark side, it sucks that the site is slowing down. On the bright side, it's good, and I'm stoked, that you guys are doing so well :D

Lord Cadillac
02-21-12, 07:37 PM
On the dark side, it sucks that the site is slowing down. On the bright side, it's good, and I'm stoked, that you guys are doing so well :D

Thank you. :) On one hand, it's scary seeing the bills rise - the flip side of that is I rarely ever pay out of my own pocket anymore. In fact, I don't think I paid anything other than fees due to unexpected server maintenance over the past 12 months. On the other hand, we're getting a lot more traffic - which is what makes a forum valuable to members. The more input, the better (most of the time). The supporting members and advertisers have really helped out in this aspect. The important thing is to keep bringing on new supporters as people come and go. As long as we can maintain parity with where we are now, everything will be okay. It would be bad news if we lost the bulk of our supporters. I wouldn't be able to financially maintain the server myself.