: 2005 STS's with vogue tires & vynal tops here!

diamond in the back
11-14-04, 04:28 AM
Since the first time I saw the 2005 STS uncamouflaged I always wondered how it would look with a set of sweet rims and some vogue tire. I was wondering and hoping it would look just as sweet as my diamond white 98 STS and by the look of these pics it does. I'm kinda reserved about the vinyl tops. (choose cadillac then STS) for more pics at http://vogue-tyre.com/index-gallery.html

Sandy
11-14-04, 10:52 AM
If you were to drive this in my surrounding area, you'd be stopped by the law at least twice a week as a suspected "moble pharmacist" ~ using their vehicle as a store-front!
http://vogue-tyre.com/upimages/gallery/CAD392/392-sts-gtv_500.jpg

Pete Benson
11-14-04, 01:33 PM
They look awful. Just absolutely awful. Just absolutely, horrifically,bloody awful. And did I mention I think they look awful???

Sandy
11-14-04, 02:03 PM
Guys, Pete don't like 'em.

Mikethegreeat
11-14-04, 02:22 PM
http://vogue-tyre.com/upimages/gallery/CAD399/399-sts-sonix_500.jpg

diamond in the back
11-14-04, 04:51 PM
I don't get the 2004 connection between vogue tires and drug dealers maybe 20+ yrs ago but today. 80-90% of the caddies(and other cars) I see with them have 60+ year old drivers. I think every deville sold should have vogue tire because with anything less then a 19in rim the whole wheel just look plain and ugly. a set of vogue tire just says luxury on a big cadillac to me thats just my opinion.

b4z
11-14-04, 05:47 PM
When I first read the Title I thought this was a joke thread or
the poster was showing them to us to give us a warning or at least
a laugh.

Out of all the pics I saw maybe 1 that was decent and not overwrought.

The rest is just plain bad..... and a little scary all at the same time.

Caddy Man
11-14-04, 06:21 PM
VOGUES TIRES DO NOT BELONG ON NEWER CADDYS. They dont belong on CTS or STS.

Sandy
11-14-04, 06:23 PM
Diamond in the black, I LIKE Vogue Tyres! I have them on my Sixty Special and keep them mint looking!

However, in my area, ll the drug dealers that drive Caddies (most drive Meserable Bends) all have a sim-con & Vogues, and also gold emblems and custom aftermarket chrome rims. The cops are always pulling these cars over for a "check" and really to look for drugs. The police impound yards are full of these cars, mostly like 2001 & 2002 Sevilles and Bummers, 7 Series.

Rauf
11-14-04, 06:30 PM
Why? This one looks great!!!

Sandy
11-14-04, 09:34 PM
The dogs will be sniffing in and around & under the rear seat carpeting :tisk:

Blue Chip
11-15-04, 09:57 AM
I too thought this thread was going to be a joke. I was ready for a good laugh. Now I feel nauseated. I hope I never see an STS with vulgar Vogues or, worse, a vinyl top. That stuff belongs to the bad old days of Cadillac and to greedy dealers who drool at the thought of conning persons into buying grossly overpriced junk. Believe me: Less is more.

Reckamech
11-15-04, 11:53 AM
Hi Guys

I visit this board from time to time and when I saw this thread I was horrified. If Caddy wants to be put in the same category with the BMW's, Audi's and the Mercs the have to kill this image. The vynal tops will keep them with old image they are trying to escape. How many of the german vehicles have you ever seen with a vynal top? I am having this vision of me in a new STS with some 19" HRE's and countless performance mods ready to take on the germans and I see another STS with the vynal, vogue tires and chrome rims going in the opposite direction. I would be killing myself wondering why I didn't get the BMW. :drinker By the way what is the correct way to write it vinal or vynal or vinyl :hmm:

megeebee
11-15-04, 12:46 PM
They look awful. Just absolutely awful. Just absolutely, horrifically,bloody awful. And did I mention I think they look awful???

.....sorry but I have to agree. This kind of tawdry, glue-on, tarting-up is one of the reasons Cadillac was in the shape it was before the new designs were introduced. We live in the good ol' US of A so people are free to ruin the looks and resale value of their cars if they so desire. But the question remains: why?

tdogg5184
11-15-04, 03:57 PM
Vinyl tops look horrible on STS or CTS in fact i even thought the old STS looked bad with them. Leave the vinyl tops for the deville. I dont mind the rims as much but the tires look pretty bad as well. I hope I never see one of these on the street.

hawkman
11-15-04, 05:27 PM
That is how to ruin a beautiful car. If you put a vynal top on this car you should be arrested!

Rauf
11-15-04, 05:45 PM
.....sorry but I have to agree. This kind of tawdry, glue-on, tarting-up is one of the reasons Cadillac was in the shape it was before the new designs were introduced. We live in the good ol' US of A so people are free to ruin the looks and resale value of their cars if they so desire. But the question remains: why?

Because the vynil top make the car looks AMERICAN. Unfortunately, american cars lost their distinctive look, and now they're looking more EUROPEAN. And that is a simple craze, as if the European style would be the standard of the world! I don't think the car's performance depends on its exterior's look. I personnaly like the look of old Cadillacs with cabriolet tops. However I dislike Vogue tyres and gold emblems. And this is my favorite tyre (it belongs to 1985 Eldorado):

mastertech
11-15-04, 06:02 PM
Don't forget your Continental kit and curb feelers... :drinker

Crozier
11-15-04, 09:04 PM
STS's with vinyl tops....... Somebody kill me please...... NOW!!!!

:blasted: :blasted: :blasted: :blasted:

JOENH
11-15-04, 09:50 PM
I can some it up in one word! UGLY!!!!!!

Caddy Man
11-15-04, 11:49 PM
i agree with most people...the old caddy image DOES NOT belong on these new cars. Sometimes less is more. having vynil tops with vogue tires and gold package with flashy chrome wheels is in the some category as a ricer with an oversize wing, montrous body kit, and flashy wheels :its called EXCESS!!!! And no, i am not biased in my opinion because i used to have a 1991 Town car, with vynil top, chrome wire wheels, chrome rocker panels, and vogue tires, and that style does NOT fit the new cadillacs!

Ralph
11-15-04, 11:54 PM
i agree with most people...the old caddy image DOES NOT belong on these new cars. Sometimes less is more. having vynil tops with vogue tires and gold package with flashy chrome wheels is in the some category as a ricer with an oversize wing, montrous body kit, and flashy wheels :its called EXCESS!!!! And no, i am not biased in my opinion because i used to have a 1991 Town car, with vynil top, chrome wire wheels, chrome rocker panels, and vogue tires, and that style does NOT fit the new cadillacs!

We may as well all just drive Chevy Impalas then, if boring is what you're after? Toyota Camrys fit the bill too.

There is no comparing ANY Cadillac to a Ricer. :tisk: I may not like the pictured STS, but without tradition and heritage, you have nothing.

Less is more if you like Yugos, and there are plenty of those to be had for a fair price.

Cadillacs are all about excess, as in offering more than the others, and shouldn't have to play follow the leader with the popular German luxury cars. Besides, you can option them out the way you want it to be.

Problem is, you're right about people wanting less I fear. My parents LOVE the fact that their DTS looks more plaine than my Fleetwood (their previous car). They didn't want the flash, attention! Then why the hell didn't they go for an Impala?!

Caddy Man
11-16-04, 12:08 AM
We may as well all just drive Chevy Impalas then, if boring is what you're after? Toyota Camrys fit the bill too.

There is no comparing ANY Cadillac to a Ricer. :tisk: I may not like the pictured STS, but without tradition and heritage, you have nothing.

Less is more if you like Yugos, and there are plenty of those to be had for a fair price.

Cadillacs are all about excess, as in offering more than the others, and shouldn't have to play follow the leader with the popular German luxury cars. Besides, you can option them out the way you want it to be.

Problem is, you're right about people wanting less I fear. My parents LOVE the fact that their DTS looks more plaine than my Fleetwood (their previous car). They didn't want the flash, attention! Then why the hell didn't they go for an Impala?!
its a differnt type of flash, its like in a DTS, when i see one on the road, i immedialty think flashy, but there is a tasteful type of flash. A BMW 760iL is very flashy, but put some 22 inch rims with spinners, sound system, 10+ tvs in it etc, it becomes too excessive and looks bad. I just mean the newer style caddys have a sleek graceful look, i like vynil tops and vogues, but on the older cadillacs. A car dosnt need dealer tacked on extras to be distinctive, is there any other car that looks like a BMW 760iL??? Ive never seen any. Is there any car that looks ever remotly close to a Cadillac CTS??? See what im gettin at? No offence to anyone, like i said i used to have an old towncar with all that, and i put it on, but the type of car fit that style, and belive me i used to get compliments left and right on that car. But a lincoln towncar is a very differnt type of car than a Cadillac STS.

Ralph
11-16-04, 12:19 AM
its a differnt type of flash, its like in a DTS, when i see one on the road, i immedialty think flashy, but there is a tasteful type of flash. A BMW 760iL is very flashy, but put some 22 inch rims with spinners, sound system, 10+ tvs in it etc, it becomes too excessive and looks bad. I just mean the newer style caddys have a sleek graceful look, i like vynil tops and vogues, but on the older cadillacs. A car dosnt need dealer tacked on extras to be distinctive, is there any other car that looks like a BMW 760iL??? Ive never seen any. Is there any car that looks ever remotly close to a Cadillac CTS??? See what im gettin at? No offence to anyone, like i said i used to have an old towncar with all that, and i put it on, but the type of car fit that style, and belive me i used to get compliments left and right on that car. But a lincoln towncar is a very differnt type of car than a Cadillac STS.

I can understand that. :D I also think that Cadillac is running neck and neck with the likes of MB in offering many new interior ("flash") options to compete like the ventilated seats, touch and go entry, start, etc. So in a way, they are "flashy" on the inside too without shouting to the world "I'M SPECIAL AND BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!" :lildevil:

Should we fear that if "excess" becomes out of style, Cadillac would be in trouble? ;)

However, there are many new cars that have similar styling cues and even look alike. For example, the Altima. An Ion looks like a mini version of this car. Infinity makes one similar also. My parents even seem to think that the rear half of the DTS looks like an Altima's but without the clear lens taillights! In some regard many new cars look alike because they all lack chrome. Even chrome trim around window sills which at least look good on the DTS. I think that's the only chrome on it. I wish instead of the plastic buttons on the door, etc. weren't plastic, but offer some chrome plastic even. Interiors are so monotone these days and some chrome and color variation can be a good thing.

Ralph
11-16-04, 12:30 AM
Here is a pic of a 2004 DTS at the dealership last week. The only chrome on it is a strip over the grille, below the side windows, the rims, and the tail pipes. I think that's it.

60 special
11-16-04, 09:34 AM
Being a Cadillac and car lover for all of my life, I strongly feel that it is up to the owner of the car to either customize it to their own tastes or leave it completely factory. For the past 10 years the growth of aftermarket wheels had been tremendous. The reason why, the factory wheels were so plain. So now GM is offering a full line of chrome wheels for Cadillac and their other motor divisions. The only reason they are is because people love wheels.

As for some of the customer added options on cars, there are many I don't like. But who am I to determine what is right or wrong when people personalize their cars or trucks?

If there wasn't a demand for custom parts there wouldn't be a market. Nobody forces any customer into purchasing aftermarket parts. If they didn't sell, the companies would go out of business. Vogue Tyre goes back I think to the 30's.

My personal feeling is whatever you like for your car or truck, go for it!

cadillacchromer
11-16-04, 10:47 AM
If you were to drive this in my surrounding area, you'd be stopped by the law at least twice a week as a suspected "moble pharmacist" ~ using their vehicle as a store-front!

Why so you say that?

jworkmans
11-16-04, 12:09 PM
Hmmmmm...now lemme see...I just dropped $63 large for my new STS and I'm gonna pimp it up with a lot of crap. Well, hayull yesssss!

As soon as I get my purple hat blocked (the one with the big white feather in it), I'll just ooze my bad Cad-oh-lack downtown and have them dip the whole thing in chrome and gold. I'll just bling bling this bad baby all up.

Of course, I gots good taste and I'll be sure the vinyl top is virgin (from ugly petrochemical factories) and the Vogues and Spinners are at least 20's....maybe I can drop some 22's in here if I bend the wheel wells back. (Ain't that why we have tire irons?)

Maybe I'll even rip out that 15-speaker DD5.1 system and drop in a nice Kenwood head unit, some thumpin woofers and a cassette deck.

Oh yeah......that'll do the trick.

(JOKE, guys, JOKE......)

Sandy
11-16-04, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy

http://vogue-tyre.com/upimages/gall...sts-gtv_500.jpg

Why so you say that?

That's what the drug dealers drive and how they customize them.

diamond in the back
11-16-04, 04:32 PM
I would still buy that red DTS above today(well maybe a used one until 06) but I would get the vogue's before I left the dealer lot. because that fat plain looking tire just ruins it for me and I would think twice about putting 20's on it (my personal taste) but I would put 20's on it if they looked good on the car to me.

60 special
11-16-04, 06:06 PM
Hmmmmm...now lemme see...I just dropped $63 large for my new STS and I'm gonna pimp it up with a lot of crap. Well, hayull yesssss!

As soon as I get my purple hat blocked (the one with the big white feather in it), I'll just ooze my bad Cad-oh-lack downtown and have them dip the whole thing in chrome and gold. I'll just bling bling this bad baby all up.

Of course, I gots good taste and I'll be sure the vinyl top is virgin (from ugly petrochemical factories) and the Vogues and Spinners are at least 20's....maybe I can drop some 22's in here if I bend the wheel wells back. (Ain't that why we have tire irons?)

Maybe I'll even rip out that 15-speaker DD5.1 system and drop in a nice Kenwood head unit, some thumpin woofers and a cassette deck.

Oh yeah......that'll do the trick.

(JOKE, guys, JOKE......)

I hate to tell you this, but Mercedes S Class and BMW 5 Series are the rides of choice for many urban entrepreneurs. If it's a Cadillac, it's an Escalade.

Please, whatever you do, don't change ANYTHING on your car. That way your STS will look just like every other one on the road. And in a year or two nobody will know what it is.

jworkmans
11-17-04, 12:42 PM
I hate to tell you this, but Mercedes S Class and BMW 5 Series are the rides of choice for many urban entrepreneurs. If it's a Cadillac, it's an Escalade.

Please, whatever you do, don't change ANYTHING on your car. That way your STS will look just like every other one on the road. And in a year or two nobody will know what it is.

Hey 60,

I do agree that the Escaladers are the "ride of choice" for mobile pharmacy representatives and companionship engineers. Doesn't mean, however, that I need to bling my ride to be in that particular market segment.

Besides, I like the concept of the Q-ship. My generic, black Caddy - all plain and simple like from the factory - will blow the doors off a lot of those little rice burners and other exurban mommyhaulers. Sometimes it's nice NOT to stand out in the crowd, just be a "teensy bit superior".....*grin*

John

gust_1980
11-23-04, 12:18 AM
i agree with most of the rest of you guys. vogues and vinyl do not belong on any of the newer styles.

STS 310
11-24-04, 03:45 PM
If you have 50-60 k to drop on a new STS, who gives a s**t what anybody here thinks. Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one, and most of the time they stink.

The pics are not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt call them awful. CADDY MAKES CARS LIKE THIS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THEM. That look does not define the company in any stretch of the imagination.

Reckamech
11-24-04, 05:19 PM
If you have 50-60 k to drop on a new STS, who gives a s**t what anybody here thinks. Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one, and most of the time they stink.

The pics are not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt call them awful. CADDY MAKES CARS LIKE THIS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THEM. That look does not define the company in any stretch of the imagination.

STS 310 I would have to seriously disagree with you. I believe "that look" does define the company because it instills a precieved notion to everyone who see it. Potential customers my come to the assumption that people who drive that car may have bad taste and that they don't want to associated with that group. What do you think everytime you see a BMW, Merc or an Audi? One of the main reasons why someone may advoid the STS is the resale value which is derived from all of the percieved notion we as auto customers have about a perticular auto maker.

Rauf
11-24-04, 06:34 PM
Everyone has the right to make his own choice!

syrob@MSN.COM
11-29-04, 06:03 PM
WOW, NOWAY. YUKKK... Imagine how that would look on an SRX !!

SYROB

60 special
11-29-04, 07:12 PM
STS 310 I would have to seriously disagree with you. I believe "that look" does define the company because it instills a precieved notion to everyone who see it. Potential customers my come to the assumption that people who drive that car may have bad taste and that they don't want to associated with that group. What do you think everytime you see a BMW, Merc or an Audi? One of the main reasons why someone may advoid the STS is the resale value which is derived from all of the percieved notion we as auto customers have about a perticular auto maker.

While we are disagreeing, since rap stars, famous sports figures and people whose livelihoods may be questionable drive pimped out Escalades, does that stop businessmen, families or other people from buying them? No. So if someone puts '24's and a custom grille on their Escalade it drives down the resale value of it? No. At first Cadillac was apalled that the Escalade was a hit with the hip hop culture, now they go out of their way to embrace this group!

A car is a reflection of the driver's personality, not the designer's. That's why there is an aftermarket that offers chocolate and strawbery instead of just plain old vanilla.

jworkmans
11-30-04, 11:11 AM
A car is a reflection of the driver's personality, not the designer's. That's why there is an aftermarket that offers chocolate and strawbery instead of just plain old vanilla.

I agree with your assertion that a car is for the driver and not the designer.

As we all know, without some serious "Market Segment Adjustment", the average Cadillac driver would be dead soon - so GM (in one of their more lucid moments) decided to embrace two competing cultures at once.

There are those of us who are financially blessed who want a solid, high-performance, technically advanced AMERICAN luxe-mobile. There are others who want a pimpmobile, complete with all the bling it can carry. That's why the Escaladers are here competing with the CTS & STS's.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all good. For every drugbuggy Caddy sells they have more income to devote to developing serious cars - like the STS. This dichotomy lowers the average driver age, opens the marque to new demographic segments and keeps the wreath-and-crest on the highways and not just the history books. :D

AirJigga25
11-30-04, 11:35 AM
I don't get the 2004 connection between vogue tires and drug dealers maybe 20+ yrs ago but today. 80-90% of the caddies(and other cars) I see with them have 60+ year old drivers. I think every deville sold should have vogue tire because with anything less then a 19in rim the whole wheel just look plain and ugly. a set of vogue tire just says luxury on a big cadillac to me thats just my opinion.

i like your screen name.... with the DIAMOND IN THE BACK!

60 special
11-30-04, 05:36 PM
i like your screen name.... with the DIAMOND IN THE BACK!

Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with the gangster lean!

That's when an Eldorado was about 50 feet long!

AirJigga25
11-30-04, 05:38 PM
i know...my dad's 75 eldo is quite a long car. women want to take off their clothes when they see it.

STS 310
11-30-04, 11:52 PM

A percieved notion? Go to the Dealer and you may see, and I mean may see 1 maybe 2 models decked out in this fashion. Most of the models will NOT look like this. If you percieve something just because you see 1 example then maybe you are not "seeing" the whole picture. This may be what some see as "Cadillac" styling but, to think that this is the premise of the companies styling would be simple minded. Go buy a CAMRY.

Rauf
12-01-04, 06:50 AM
There are those of us who are financially blessed who want a solid, high-performance, technically advanced AMERICAN luxe-mobile.

Where do you see an AMERICAN luxe-mobile? 196 inches long, 5-passenger seating, a shifter on the floor, a short trunk, the emblem on the grille and so on. Is it an American style? It's just my opinion, but I think the last true Caddy was 1993-1996 Fleetwood Brougham.

60 special
12-01-04, 09:23 AM
A percieved notion? Go to the Dealer and you may see, and I mean may see 1 maybe 2 models decked out in this fashion. Most of the models will NOT look like this. If you percieve something just because you see 1 example then maybe you are not "seeing" the whole picture. This may be what some see as "Cadillac" styling but, to think that this is the premise of the companies styling would be simple minded. Go buy a CAMRY.

When I've stopped by Cadillac dealers I have seen DeVilles with different tops on them, different style grilles and custom wheels and tires. Some of these cars just make you stop and look at them, they are unique. They appeal to
another set of Cadillac buyers. But why should those buyers be mocked? The largest growing demographic in the US is the baby boomers. Unless I'm wrong, they don't care about 0-60 in under 60 seconds, or G-force ratings or skid pad performance. They want an attractive car that will hold 4 adults comfortably and their luggage. Also, have you ever noticed on a CTS or STS that you have to turn your foot sideways to get in and out of the back seat of the car? To me that makes no sense at all.

1toycad
12-01-04, 04:59 PM
Besides, I like the concept of the Q-ship. My generic, black Caddy - all plain and simple like from the factory - will blow the doors off a lot of those little rice burners and other exurban mommyhaulers. Sometimes it's nice NOT to stand out in the crowd, just be a "teensy bit superior".....*grin*

John

I agree 100%. I like my 1999 black-on-black Seville to look as stealth as possible. :lildevil:

1toycad
12-01-04, 05:01 PM
i know...my dad's 75 eldo is quite a long car. women want to take off their clothes when they see it.

Would he be interested in trading it for my 99 SLS? :sneaky:

1toycad
12-01-04, 05:05 PM
If you have 50-60 k to drop on a new STS, who gives a s**t what anybody here thinks. Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one, and most of the time they stink..

I agree 100%

The pics are not my cup of tea, but I wouldnt call them awful. CADDY MAKES CARS LIKE THIS BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE THEM. .

I also agree 100%

That look does not define the company in any stretch of the imagination.

I disagree.

jworkmans
12-01-04, 05:58 PM
Where do you see an AMERICAN luxe-mobile? 196 inches long, 5-passenger seating, a shifter on the floor, a short trunk, the emblem on the grille and so on. Is it an American style? It's just my opinion, but I think the last true Caddy was 1993-1996 Fleetwood Brougham.

Well, as far as the "American" part is concerned, that's pretty obvious (aside from the French tranny). GM is a US-based company and the STS was assembled in the US of largely US-sourced parts. Any arguments on this point are likely to be too picayune for words.

The "luxe" part is, IMHO, pretty obvious as well: In what other alternate universe is the STS NOT a luxury car? It sure as snot whoops up on about 99% of everything else out there, including RiceBurners, BundVagons, SwedeMobiles and anything else I can think of. Not that there aren't lots of wonderful cars competing with it - but competition doesn't lessen the luxe-stature of the STS. To infer such is simply without merit.

Finally, the word "mobile" is accurate if you only read Webster's.

I don't understand your dissatisfaction with my characterization of the STS as an "American Luxe-Mobile". If you have trouble with the dimensions, please, by all means don't buy one. That's the beauty of capitalism. If you wish to say that "American style" is somehow inferior, well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion - and I'm entitled to say that I'm not much interested in engaging in an American-Bashing conversation. That dog don't hunt. :tisk:

If you don't like a floor shifter, 5-passenger seating and the emblem, again, go buy something else.

Nothing you've asserted refutes my statement: American Luxe-Mobile. It is what it is, no matter how much some may protest. Calling the STS anything else doesn't lessen the nature of the car, only of the author.

Lastly, if you want to attach your affections to any other vehicle - even one that's 10+ years old and three developmental generations ago - I say more power to you. I certainly respect your right to admire any car you like. I also refuse to permit anyone to deny me that same right.

To put into simple words, of very few complicated syllables: The STS is a nice car. The STS is a fast car. The STS is a pretty car. The STS is MY choice of a car and if that's a problem then it's entirely your problem.

Again, just my opinion. And like STS310 just said: Opinions are like buttholes.....

Regards,

John

Playdrv4me
12-02-04, 02:15 AM
This is disgusting. Cars to me are like people, and I tend to sometimes view their exterior appointments like peoples clothing.

Putting this kind of filth on a MODERN Cadillac (absolutely agree with you Caddyman) is akin to those mothers who send their kids to pre-school in sailor uniforms because they THINK it looks adorable. Thats not to say you cant make enhancements to the exterior (tasteful aftermarket wheels, deep tint, wire mesh grille etc etc), but to make it absolutely gawdy, with the excuse that its for the heritage of the brand, class or whatever is absolutely out of place on a turning point car like the new STS. I respect a Fleetwood with an Astro-roof, gold badges, chrome trim and the like, even if its not my preference. I laugh at the same on an STS. Please do the rest of those with this car a favor, and dont begin chipping away at this cars resale by building an image like this.

60 special
12-02-04, 10:34 AM
This is disgusting. Cars to me are like people, and I tend to sometimes view their exterior appointments like peoples clothing.

Putting this kind of filth on a MODERN Cadillac (absolutely agree with you Caddyman) is akin to those mothers who send their kids to pre-school in sailor uniforms because they THINK it looks adorable. Thats not to say you cant make enhancements to the exterior (tasteful aftermarket wheels, deep tint, wire mesh grille etc etc), but to make it absolutely gawdy, with the excuse that its for the heritage of the brand, class or whatever is absolutely out of place on a turning point car like the new STS. I respect a Fleetwood with an Astro-roof, gold badges, chrome trim and the like, even if its not my preference. I laugh at the same on an STS. Please do the rest of those with this car a favor, and dont begin chipping away at this cars resale by building an image like this.

Why would adding gold badges, chrome trim and the like affect the resale value of your STS? When STS's are traded in or resold outright, what other STS's are equipped with makes no difference on any car. Each car is judged by its own merits. To each his own.

Playdrv4me
12-02-04, 11:04 AM
I know dealers that will specifically give you less for a car with all that stuff on it, because they have to take it all OFF for the next guy who cant stand it. Like I said, on older Cadillacs, and even the newer Town Car you can do alot of this and be ok, it still looks classy. It looks absolutely hysterical on the STS. But yea, to each his own... I suppose.

diamond in the back
12-03-04, 01:18 AM

your right cars are like people we all wear different cloths and accessories. so why whould you want to drive something you bought the way the cheap factory gave it to you. there is a multi-billion dollar after market for a reason, so we as consumers can really drive the cars we want the way we want it to look. if vinyl tops and vogue tires are so offensive to everyone like some of you say they are then why do almost all caddi dealership's offer both(and more) as an option. almost all auto manufacturers offer ugly wheels as standerd or option. all these after market options are just that options you either buy them or not but don't give me that "this is what caddi offers so this is what we all should have on our cars an nothing else bull".

60 special
12-03-04, 10:37 AM
your right cars are like people we all wear different cloths and accessories. so why whould you want to drive something you bought the way the cheap factory gave it to you. there is a multi-billion dollar after market for a reason, so we as consumers can really drive the cars we want the way we want it to look. if vinyl tops and vogue tires are so offensive to everyone like some of you say they are then why do almost all caddi dealership's offer both(and more) as an option. almost all auto manufacturers offer ugly wheels as standerd or option. all these after market options are just that options you either buy them or not but don't give me that "this is what caddi offers so this is what we all should have on our cars an nothing else bull".

Diamond, "Amen Brother"!

Other than clothes, what do people put on everyday? Their cars. A car is a reflection of the personality and ego of its owner.

Now as far as the STS "purists" go, isn't it ridiculous that the stock wheels and tires are so small they look like they belong on an Impala? Why didn't Cadillac fill the whell wells with 18's as standard equipment? BMW, Mercedes, etc. all do this. Not only does it look great, it dramatically improves handling. I think this answers the question as to why wheels and tires are probably the first aftermarket option added to a car. It's what I did with my Seville STS.

To anyone that buys an STS, do whatever you want with it to satisfy your tastes.

STS 310
12-06-04, 01:45 PM
Ok. Maybe I was a little hasty in saying that this look does not define the company. I think what I was trying to say is what Caddy is trying to do NOW. Which is why some of you are so animate on how bad the coach top and Vogues look on a new design.

pontiac_fanatic
12-07-04, 01:09 AM

I'll drink to that! :drinker wait...I don't drink! :shhh: Makes me wanna start though...just so I can forget about what I saw :cookoo:

60 special
12-08-04, 10:13 AM
I'll drink to that! :drinker wait...I don't drink! :shhh: Makes me wanna start though...just so I can forget about what I saw :cookoo:

You might want to consider buying an Avalon. It's put together just as well as the STS, looks as boring as a STS unless you put larger wheels and tires on it and is available with only a few option packages. And in a year or two we'll see if the STS retains any resale value, the Avalon does. What scares me is the fact that the new SRX drops more than 15% in resale value in a year. That's not a good sign for Cadillac.

Katshot
12-08-04, 10:24 AM
STS's with vinyl tops....... Somebody kill me please...... NOW!!!!

:blasted: :blasted: :blasted: :blasted:

Absolutely couldn't agree more.

AirJigga25
12-08-04, 11:22 AM
You might want to consider buying an Avalon. It's put together just as well as the STS, looks as boring as a STS unless you put larger wheels and tires on it and is available with only a few option packages. And in a year or two we'll see if the STS retains any resale value, the Avalon does. What scares me is the fact that the new SRX drops more than 15% in resale value in a year. That's not a good sign for Cadillac.

yeah that's nothing new... i am going to go with classic caddy's as toys and sunday drivers from now on. Maybe a new caddy if I ever got a company car.

pontiac_fanatic
12-09-04, 12:11 AM

If you think the STS looks as boring as an Avalon---you need some glasses.

Avalon= boring
STS= cool

We can just agree to disagree--but I bet more people would agree with me on this point. I hate Toyotas.

megeebee
12-09-04, 01:26 PM
If you think the STS looks as boring as an Avalon---you need some glasses.

Avalon= boring
STS= cool

We can just agree to disagree--but I bet more people would agree with me on this point. I hate Toyotas.

I'm with you on this point. For all their high quality and value, Toyota design is a mess. The ES 330?!?! Yuk. Mile-long overhangs and a front end that looks like Joan Rivers after her last face lift! But, if they ever do get their design-act together, Detriot will be in for its final fall. GM and Ford continue to loose market share, and advertise desperate rebates to sell their wares, and the Japanese makes sail on ever higher. We may spar in forums like this over one design or another. But you can't argue with the market. And the market loves Toyota.

jworkmans
12-09-04, 03:24 PM
But you can't argue with the market. And the market loves Toyota.

I agree with everything except your last statement.

That's the reason we live in a Democratic Republic - cause the Founders recognized that "The Masses" are simply the lowest common denominator - nothing more. Appeal to the baser instincts and you'll get a lot more takers than if you attempt refinement.

While I agree that GM & Ford are getting their collective keisters' kicked, it doesn't mean the ricers are worth a red hot flying damn. It simply means the foreign manufacturers are appealing to the bulk of the spectrum (that irritating bell curve!) - which is not necessarily the market segment that currently purchase Caddys.

I applaud GM's push toward the middle-end (is that an oxymoron?) of the spectrum - and the CTS is a great example of appealilng to the masses. The STS, on the other hand, won't be a huge-market car because it's just not the kind of transport that Mr. & Mrs. Joe Lunchpail will be attracted to, nor can afford.

Of course, I will admit to an abiding and long standing aversion to ricers, bahnburners and the like, so take what I say with a grain of salt...... :canttalk:

Regards,

JW

Randy_W
12-20-04, 07:28 PM
If these pimps want a Cadillac that looks like 1972, then buy a '72 and don't screw up a beautifully understated piece of art, like the STS! Whitewalls and coach roofs are so 20 years ago! :helpless: :eek:

ellives
12-23-04, 06:22 PM

Absolutely no whitewall tires and GASP no vinyl roofs.... will we ever learn?

Ells

STS 310
12-25-04, 05:16 PM
Funny thing is even with those vogues and vinyl tops, they will still walk away from our pre 05 STS's.:lildevil:

Msilva954
12-26-04, 06:58 PM
Man I gotta disagree with most of you....

Sure the new Caddys are trying to sway away from that 90's and earlier boat image but keep in mind its still older people that are buying these and companies like Vogue rely on Caddy and Lincoln to continue in business.

While I cant read minds and its all your opinions, I actually think that it looks pretty decent.....im one of the few that really think the new STS is a piss job on GMs part....for the money and what you get I feel its WAY overpriced and the styling (both inside and out) could use some serious revisions...the Vogue treatment is a pretty nice improvement to the exterior.....

Now I cant say I like the cloth top......and im usually a sucker for them but on a car like the STS and 300 for that matter...with short rears cloth and vinyl tops look horrible.....but the rims and "tyres" do add some style.....and the New Vogues (as Cardiodoc will tell ya) performe ALOT better then the old accustom to vogues.

So please dont wish to destroy these cars or the people who buy them (id be gone right now :() we all have our own taste and opinions and I happen to like either way these cars can be customized.....either "classy" or "sporty"...to each his own.............................but it is fun to watch arguing...lol

1SICKLEX
12-27-04, 05:10 PM
I hope dealers are not installing these. Caddy is working real hard on its image, which right now, IMO, is a mix of our older senier citizens and hip-hop entertainers "Rappers". CAddy is trying to be sporty but is it really catching on?

I love the new Caddys, this cloth top/vogue tires have to go. TIme to move on.

STS 310
12-27-04, 06:37 PM
I love the new Caddys, this cloth top/vogue tires have to go. TIme to move on.

Well I guess he closed the thread just like that!

bam_bam_4
12-28-04, 12:44 AM
i hear a lot of hating going on in this thread. i don't want to name call, but these particular individuals talk as if they bought these "flashy" cars for their sons and want to tell them what and what not to do with it.

60 special
12-28-04, 02:23 PM
What most people don't understand is that if there wasn't a market for accessories like wheels, tires, tops and other products, those companies would simply go out of business. Since Vogue has been around since I think 1917, these must be one heck of a market.

To each his own.

Rauf
12-28-04, 06:16 PM
What most people don't understand is that if there wasn't a market for accessories like wheels, tires, tops and other products, those companies would simply go out of business. Since Vogue has been around since I think 1917, these must be one heck of a market.

To each his own.

You're right. And if someone wants he can install a coach roof even on MB's S-class or BMW's 7 series! :D

60 special
12-28-04, 08:46 PM
You're right. And if someone wants he can install a coach roof even on MB's S-class or BMW's 7 series! :D

You are absolutely right! In L.A. I saw a Mercedes 700, I think that's the number, with a Cabriolet top. It was a dark blue coupe with a tan cloth top. It looked so much like a real convertible it was incredible. It had the complete Lorinzer package and was so cool, people almost broke their necks looking at it.

jworkmans
12-29-04, 12:01 PM
The interchange of ideas in this thread - both pro & con - is intriguing. It's obvious that this issue raises a lot of strong emotions, which, if nothing else, at least proves that the STS is worthy of LOTS of discussion. Kudos to Cadillac for at least keeping their products out there!

I honestly don't see where some of the vitriol is coming from - there's a bit too much "minding someone else's business" going on.

Personally, I'm not gonna bling my ride because it's not who I am or what I want. Since I'm paying the note on it, that's my choice. I do, however, reserve the right to make fun of folks who crap-up their cars, while they can call me a boring, old fuddy-duddy all day long.

Hey, it's all good!

John

MRbling
12-29-04, 01:51 PM
Just lower it and it will look so nice...

Haleykeek
07-08-05, 11:07 PM
i don't like them on the STS.maybe on the DTS or Deville,but not the STS.the STS is a performance sedan,not a marshmallow cruiser.