: My thoughts on the 2013 Cadillac ATS

Lord Cadillac
02-16-12, 08:44 PM
Well. I like it. I'm not thrilled with the exterior. To me, it's boring. Sorry. Not Toyota boring - but Cadillac boring. I expected more flash and/or pizazz.. I think the smallest car should be the edgiest while the largest car should be the most prestigious looking.

I really like the interior. I love the dash and center stack - and just about everything I've seen so far. It's a very, very good looking interior. To me. Far better looking than BMW and I doubt I'm going to think the new BMW-esque Lexus IS interior is going to impress me. At least not from a design standpoint.

The photographs below are from Car and Driver's "Dissected: 2013 Cadillac ATS (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/dissected-2013-cadillac-ats-feature)" article...

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q1/439417/2013-cadillac-ats-interior-photo-441599-s-1280x782.jpg
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q1/439417/2013-cadillac-ats-interior-photo-441598-s-1280x782.jpg

rand49er
02-17-12, 07:27 AM
As pleasing as I found the ATS in person, I have to agree with you regarding the exterior. It needed more ... somehow.

That's why I'm excited to see what they do for the V. For that, I'd like to see a combination of aggressive and classy ... somehow.

I'll take mine in white.

GreaseMonkey
02-17-12, 08:13 AM
Have you seen it in person or just through pictures? It still amazes me sometimes how different a car can look in pictures, compared to sitting still, compared to being driven down the road.

I'm personally a fan, but I do know the V will me the flavor that most of us will prefer.

thebigjimsho
02-17-12, 09:32 AM
Randy has seen it in person, as have I...

Lord Cadillac
02-17-12, 10:21 AM
Have you seen it in person or just through pictures? It still amazes me sometimes how different a car can look in pictures, compared to sitting still, compared to being driven down the road.

I'm personally a fan, but I do know the V will me the flavor that most of us will prefer.

I've seen it in person and agree it looks better that way. Those official Cadillac ATS pictures in red don't look good to me. The new grey ones look much better. If you haven't seen them, they're in the ATS Picture forum...

GreaseMonkey
02-17-12, 11:01 AM
I've seen it in person and agree it looks better that way. Those official Cadillac ATS pictures in red don't look good to me. The new grey ones look much better. If you haven't seen them, they're in the ATS Picture forum...

I'm never a fan of debuting vehicles in red. It blends too much in with tail lights, CHMSL, etc. White, silver and/or black usually displays vehicles design the best.

Lord Cadillac
02-17-12, 12:31 PM
I'm never a fan of debuting vehicles in red. It blends too much in with tail lights, CHMSL, etc. White, silver and/or black usually displays vehicles design the best.

I prefer the usual silver/grey as well...

HansK
02-17-12, 01:45 PM
I feel that a lot is lost in pictures with black vehicles. I have a harder time discerning all the lines and detail that way. I also prefer the gray for pictures even though I rarely find it my favorite in person.

nguyennhatquang
02-18-12, 01:56 PM
this interiol look better than CTS-V...
leather cover dash..awesome..i like the european Gas pedal style in the ATS
it help a lot for long cruise..

thebigjimsho
02-19-12, 03:27 PM
So does cruise control.

JimmyH
02-19-12, 03:56 PM
I fell utterly in love with Crystal Red ATS. I agree, it lacks some pizzazz, but that's what I like about it. It's not over the top, and won't attract a lot of attention.

0AT E03
02-19-12, 07:44 PM
The ATS looks best in Silver, Black, and White. The Red, Blue and other colors lose something. Red is probably the worst color for the car.

The interiors that look best are the Red/Black and Black. The Titanium is OK, the Cashmere is a little old looking but fine. The worst color (which all the IVERs where) is that ugly brown/beige hybrid. It makes me want to vomit.

CaddyShack CTS4
02-23-12, 11:47 AM
I don't get why they keep showcasing these cars in red. Honestly, the worst color on the CTS/ and from what I've seen the ATS is red. I would say Black was my favorite (but it's hard to see the lines/angles), but stick to grey or white.. or silver. Sorry if I offended red cts owners. I own a black cts, and the one color that I really liked was that white diamond tricoat. I just thought it was slightly more feminine, but looking back at it I kind of wished I had that. That white on the cts man oh man is it nice. It's all in the eyes of the beholder isn't it.....?

JimmyH
02-23-12, 02:55 PM
I love the Crystal Red. If I get one, it will be Crystal Red. I tried like hell to find a Crystal Red Camaro, but I think they only made 7 of them. Pictures don't do it justice. You have to see it in person. It dazzles.

rand49er
02-23-12, 08:14 PM
... the one color that I really liked was that white diamond tricoat. I just thought it was slightly more feminine, but looking back at it I kind of wished I had that. That white on the cts man oh man is it nice. It's all in the eyes of the beholder isn't it.....?There's a guy who parks his white, late-model M3 in the parking lot where I work. Even before I saw it, I've thought of having a V in white, and seeing his car has helped make up my mind.

LS3 MN6
02-24-12, 09:54 PM
M3's look really nice in White. BMW's and Porsche's for some reason always have a nice white. Mostly because it's super clean looking.

ABTsportsline
03-05-12, 01:03 PM
I like the red, personally. In fact I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to look into a used 2009 CTS-V or a brand new ATS (non-V) - either in red.

I actually had been looking at the Buick Regal GS because I love that 270 hp turbo engine. But the Regal is FWD. The concept was AWD; when they made it FWD it killed the car for me.

The ATS is RWD, correct? I'll take the ATS with that 270 hp motor.

thebigjimsho
03-05-12, 08:14 PM
That should be a sweet ride. I'm tempted to look towards that is I end up selling my V2...

Lord Cadillac
03-06-12, 01:53 PM
The ATS is RWD, correct? I'll take the ATS with that 270 hp motor.

Yes, the ATS is rear wheel drive...

M5eater
03-07-12, 10:09 AM
There's a guy who parks his white, late-model M3 in the parking lot where I work. Even before I saw it, I've thought of having a V in white, and seeing his car has helped make up my mind.
If GM had given us a real white and not this pearl cream color that they want to pass off as a 'higher' class white. I would have had it in a hot minuite.

CaddyShack CTS4
03-09-12, 03:10 AM
I think that white diamond tricoat was really clean looking. As for getting the 09 cts-v vs. the new ats.. I guess you'd have to decide what's more important to you.. something faster, a little bigger vs. smaller, brand new (not tested for all the possible kinks that may occur in that cue system), and slower. I haven't seen the ats in person yet so I'll reserve judgment on the exterior styling. The only thing I'd be worried about is how that cue system will work, will it be faulty? I've seen the electronic cluster/gauges on the new ford explorer and I'm not sure I like it as much as the needles like the CTS has.. Frankly, the cts gauges are perfect imo. I know some people have some issues with the navy but I think the cts interior looks quite good. Much better than the crappy bmw 3 series interiors they keep trying to pass as nice. Of course, the cts has its squeaks and stuff, but so do many other cars. For now, I give the cts the edge on interior because of its look, and worried about that CUE system (don't know if i'd like it all electronic).

I like the standard car setup with the gauges in front of you, speedometer (analog or w/e), tachometer, fuel, etc. The cars that don't have that are so funky. For instance, bmw mini has the speedometer or tachometer in the middle console i think. The honda civic has that funky window that reads speed only in digital (reminds me of my parents old ford aerostar, sigh.) I'm young, but call me oldschool. I'm young, but call me oldschool because even my phone has a qwerty keyboard (blackberry kind) because I hate touchscreen, it's so faulty or weird or something I just can't get my mind around it.. I'm just worried that CUE system will be weird, anyone else see that or do I lose everyone?

thebigjimsho
03-12-12, 01:57 PM
You need to get with the times. And CUE could be awesome if they make the gauges fully customizable. I want a big honkin' tach in the middle when I'm on the track...

HansK
03-13-12, 11:19 AM
You're going to have to embrace technology or go buy something like a Lotus

TulsaVic
03-13-12, 05:15 PM
CUE will be fine as long as it doesn't dim prematurely near sunset (like the DTS gages) making the gages unreadable. As for the design, think Cadillac did a much nicer job here than with the XTS.

shudog
03-26-12, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty excited about this car. As a die-hard GM fan, I've been waiting for something like this car for awhile. I think it will be the replacement for my G8 GT maybe in another year. The G8 is a fun car, but it's too big for me, I don't need the back seat or the trunk space. I want something more sporting and I think the 300hp V6 with rwd will do the trick. Should be a pretty fast car if curb weight is under 3500 lbs.

Loveldos
03-26-12, 11:57 PM
The ATS looks really good--it seems as though Cadillac got all the details right. The ATS looks different enough from the CTS yet it retains Cadillac styling cues. It seems it will be available with "high content" even though it is Cadillac's "entry-level" offering. When will the build specs and color chart be available? I can't wait to configure an ATS!
(*If the gas prices keep creeping up, the ATS will attract more CTS buyers, with its light weight and availability of smaller power plants.)

thebigjimsho
03-27-12, 04:55 PM
Yep, perfect car at the perfect time. I also can't wait to see what the bigger CTS weighs in at on the stretched Alpha platform...

Atswatcher
03-27-12, 09:02 PM
In one of the recent Youtube videos a GM VP seemed to have pushed the ATS to fall this year. I can't find the clip anymore.

Ok found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ry8PaaA1k&feature=youtube_gdata_player