: H&R Lowering Issue

etcts-v
02-15-12, 02:57 PM
I lowered my CTS-V on H&R lowering springs about 6 months ago and my car continues to settle lower and lower each month to the point now where I have serious clearance issues at the front tires. It's gotten so bad that the front drivers side tire rubbed the front fender covers down to almost nothing and the the sharp edges of the fender shredded a bunch of rubber of my tire.

Does anybody have any workarounds or tips on how I could address this issue? :hmm: Could I use use a rubber spacer at the top of the spring to raise it an inch? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :worship:

EdmundGTP
02-15-12, 03:20 PM
What size tire is that? Something looks very wrong there.

etcts-v
02-15-12, 03:53 PM
Nothing special 245/45ZR18

Here are two other pics

Ny's Caddy
02-15-12, 04:41 PM
Shocks?? Might be shot

soulja
02-15-12, 04:47 PM
Nope, that's just how H&R's sit. Mines sit the exact same way. I will be knocking in (rolling) my front fenders when it get warmer. The only time I notice rubbing is if I hit a bump while turning. Otherwise, no issues.

Ny's Caddy
02-15-12, 04:58 PM
Are you serious?? what happened to the 1inch drop? I was gonna go pick up a set of H&R's this weekend but that looks wrong in the sence that it is lower than ive seen V drop with the H&r's

Nope, that's just how H&R's sit. Mines sit the exact same way. I will be knocking in (rolling) my front fenders when it get warmer. The only time I notice rubbing is if I hit a bump while turning. Otherwise, no issues.

EdmundGTP
02-15-12, 05:56 PM
Your driver's side looks significantly lower than the passenger's side. Measure from the ground to the highest point of your fender opening.

This is a side shot of how my front looks with H&R's installed. Have not rubbed, nor even come close to rubbing anything with my setup.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Edmund944/IMG_0938.jpg

----------

Are you serious?? what happened to the 1inch drop? I was gonna go pick up a set of H&R's this weekend but that looks wrong in the sence that it is lower than ive seen V drop with the H&r's

It's a well known fact among those of us who have installed them that the H&R's drop significantly more than just 1 inch.

Ny's Caddy
02-15-12, 06:08 PM
ya I know thats fine but not rubbing status!! Yours looks just like were i want mine to sit :D

What did you do to keep your rear end down?

----------

[/COLOR]

It's a well known fact among those of us who have installed them that the H&R's drop significantly more than just 1 inch.[/QUOTE]

EdmundGTP
02-15-12, 06:17 PM
I think pretty much any and all questions about my setup can probably be answered in this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/213116-definitive-h-r-mm-spacer-lowering.html

etcts-v
02-15-12, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=EdmundGTP;2864867]Your driver's side looks significantly lower than the passenger's side. Measure from the ground to the highest point of your fender opening.

This is a side shot of how my front looks with H&R's installed. Have not rubbed, nor even come close to rubbing anything with my setup.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Edmund944/IMG_0938.jpg

----------

Your stance looks perfect (sexy wheels by the way!), I must have a shock issue going on with my drivers side, I didn't even consider that because the car drives fine and the shocks sound fine. I'm going to pop the wheels off this weekend and roll the fenders to at least eliminate the sharp edge eating my tire for lunch. The drop is definitely more than 1", the rear dropped a bunch but I attributed that to the M&M spacers.

What's weird is when I first installed them they were perfect! The fronts had no rubbing and looked great for about a month and then it slowly started lowering more and more until last week I had to park it because it was rubbing so bad.

EdmundGTP
02-15-12, 06:45 PM
Id check to make sure that the spring perch on your shock is still intact. Even if the internals of the shock itself were bad, I wouldn't expect it to let the car sag so much. Something else isnt adding up. Still curious what your floor-to-fender peak measurement is.

etcts-v
02-15-12, 06:53 PM
That's what I was thinking too, I'll do some measurements and see what's going on. Out of curiosity does anybody have shock recommendations other than stock? Or is it best to stick with the OEM for replacement?

Thanks for all your feedback on this guys, I really appreciate it!

Ny's Caddy
02-15-12, 07:28 PM
I think pretty much any and all questions about my setup can probably be answered in this thread. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/213116-definitive-h-r-mm-spacer-lowering.html

Ive actually read your great write up before. Thanks for that I guess i should of asked in a different way. Question Were can i get what i need to keep the rearend down? (MM spacers?) I read somewhere on the forum the guy got canned...

EdmundGTP
02-15-12, 08:28 PM
Ive actually read your great write up before. Thanks for that I guess i should of asked in a different way. Question Were can i get what i need to keep the rearend down? (MM spacers?) I read somewhere on the forum the guy got canned...

You'll have an easier time finding him over on LS1Tech in the V specific forum.

sx54dx
02-15-12, 08:59 PM
Or you can email him directly at MIGHTYM0USE@verizon.net. He is pretty helpful and quick to reply usually.
The spacers are around $60 for the set...

sx54dx
02-15-12, 09:03 PM
Sidenote: if the H&R's look like that I may not order the ground control kit!
Looks pretty good in my opinion.

etcts-v
02-23-12, 02:31 PM
Crises averted! Got the fenders rolled this weekend, I rented an Eastwood fender roller from a guy off craigslist for $20, those things work like a charm! Although they do not fit our lug pattern so I was only have to strap it down on one stud.

I would not recommend using a rubber mallet!! I used one on the bottom corner of the drivers side front which the roller wouldn't reach and it totally jacked my fender. I also had to modify the plastic fender wells as they were all jacked up as well.

With that said I got my first real good look under the car for rubbing and scraping (jacking up the car is a challenge now being so low and all) and I have to say not bad! Few small scrapes and rubs but overall great condition. With the fenders rolled all clearance issues are resolved, perfect fit! I have just enough fractions of a inch to maneuver the tires.

Thanks for the input on this everyone!

Ny's Caddy
02-23-12, 02:49 PM
Pictures??

EdmundGTP
02-23-12, 03:43 PM
Still strikes me as odd that you'd have any rubbing at all, but as long as you've fixed whatever issues you have, that's good.

Actually now, just out of curiosity, did you remove or trim your bumpstops on the front struts?

etcts-v
02-23-12, 04:16 PM
Yeah I did cut about 1/2 an inch off the bump stops. Here are a few pics.

87050 8705187052

etcts-v
02-23-12, 04:17 PM

EdmundGTP
02-23-12, 05:44 PM
Hmm.. Well I guess I dont have much more to offer on all that except, don't go fast over big bumps, especially if you're turning..

For some reason, your tire still looks much closer to the fender lip than mine ever was after lowering. Maybe it would boil down to a difference in camber settings. i.e. more negative camber would draw the top part of the tire further inwards away from the fender lip.

soulja
03-14-12, 01:36 PM
Crises averted! Got the fenders rolled this weekend, I rented an Eastwood fender roller from a guy off craigslist for $20, those things work like a charm! Although they do not fit our lug pattern so I was only have to strap it down on one stud.

I would not recommend using a rubber mallet!! I used one on the bottom corner of the drivers side front which the roller wouldn't reach and it totally jacked my fender. I also had to modify the plastic fender wells as they were all jacked up as well.

With that said I got my first real good look under the car for rubbing and scraping (jacking up the car is a challenge now being so low and all) and I have to say not bad! Few small scrapes and rubs but overall great condition. With the fenders rolled all clearance issues are resolved, perfect fit! I have just enough fractions of a inch to maneuver the tires.

Thanks for the input on this everyone!

There nothing wrong with using a rubber mallet. You must have been doing something wrong or not being patient. Did you use a heat gun too with the mallet? That is a necessity so you don't crack the paint.

etcts-v
03-14-12, 03:08 PM
Yes of course I used a heat gun, the paint did not chip or crack at all and yes I went slow and supported both sides of the fender. It's the sheet metal that caused problems not the paint, sure you can get by with a rubber mallet but do so at your own risk. I ended up with a few ripples in the sheet metal. The biggest down side is you don't get a long smooth roll like you do with the fender roller, you get a bunch of hammer marks knocking the sheet metal flat.