: Switching from factory headlamps to HID (2000 Cadillac Seville STS)

ThaUnknownOne
02-15-12, 11:51 AM
I am sure this has been discussed somewhere on the site, but I have not located it. So I pose the question. I was told that I cannot switch the factory headlamp to HID. Is this true? I am hoping not because the light that is behind the projector beam is EXTREMELY low. I can see MAYBE 10 feet in front of me at night. I tried to upload a picture, but it says my picture is too big! I want to upgrade the lighting system all together because of not only the look, but because I drive down very dark roads from time to time. HELP! 2000 Cadillac Seville STS

Submariner409
02-15-12, 04:55 PM
You are correct: the subject of low beam HID's has been covered in great detail in Seville, Deville, Cadillac Tech Tips and here in Electrical. Google something like "cadillac forums 2000 seville hid lighting". Our headlight assemblies were designed to mount low beam HID's so the conversion is not difficult. Keep the light color temperature (Kelvin) in the 5,000 to 6,000 K area for most light output.

If your present light output is as you say then you have problems other than simply bulb output - BUT if those 9006's are the originals they are probably dim as a candle by now.

If your lens covers do not look like these on my car, that's the first place to start with either a 3M polishing kit or one from www.customchemicalpkg.com (products) (http://www.customchemicalpkg.com)

ThaUnknownOne
02-15-12, 05:12 PM
My lenses look GREAT! I do not think the issue is there. I am not sure how old the lights are, so I will certainly say they are more than likely OLD AS DIRT! :-) So is is safe to say that you can see far distances with your headlights on and no fogs?

Submariner409
02-16-12, 10:59 AM
I use PIAA Intense White 9005 and 9006 bulbs in the highs and lows, do some pretty insane rural road driving, and have absolutely no need to change lighting systems. The fog lights use PIAA Extreme White+ 880's and have been turned on less than 2 hours in the 6+ years I have owned the car. My DRL's are also disabled. All those bulbs ^^^ are 5+ years old with no problems.

The ONLY way to get a true "picture" of just how good/bad your headlights are is to get WAY out in the country, away from all city lighting. (Most cities and towns are so over-lit that you don't need headlights anyway). On the relatively dark country roads you get a far better idea of headlight illuminating ability, distance and beam pattern.

The original Sylvania headlight bulbs in our cars were 3100K (yellowish) items. The PIAA's are 4100K (white), and most aftermarket HID's designed for driving rather than bling are from 4800K to 6000K (sparkly white to sparkly blue-white).

In your car, remove the 6 plastic rivets holding the radiator sight shield on - pop out the center screws and the rivet collapses. Each assembly is retained by two 10mm bolts at the inner end, one long, one short. Slip a section of towel under each assembly and move it out a bit. The outer rear corner is retained by a pop ball fitting in the body - careful - it's a bear to get out the first time. (Use a tad of anti-seize on the pop ball and bolts when you put it all together.) With the assembly slid out you can rotate the bulb holder to remove it - they key in only one way. The low beams will have a rubber boot over the rear of the lens - careful there. DO NOT rotate the small T15 Torx beam adjusters - if the assemblies were correctly set before you started, they will stay that way. DO NOT touch the glass of either a halogen or HID bulb - if you do, clean it thoroughly with alcohol before installation. Oil from your fingers will usually crack the glass when it hearts up the first time......

evil sts
02-28-12, 05:01 PM
If one were to want to switch headlamps and fogs to 6k HID, Is there a specific place one could order those from and any idea on how much they run?

ThaUnknownOne
03-02-12, 08:58 AM
Picture of my headlights

Submariner409
03-02-12, 01:54 PM
If one were to want to switch headlamps and fogs to 6k HID, Is there a specific place one could order those from and any idea on how much they run?

You might look in the Vendor threads up there ^^^

evil sts
03-05-12, 03:03 PM
did you car come with those HID's?

ThaUnknownOne
03-05-12, 03:22 PM
No, they are aftermarket...