: 2002 AWD Escalade has a very loose feel compared to friend's new Denali

Lade
11-13-04, 03:03 AM
Both our trucks have 22's with 305/45/22 tires and share the same wheel base. Both trucks have low miles. My Escalade is all over the place and is harder to keep in a lane. My truck has very loose steering; anyone else notice this??? I know Caddy's always have loose luxurious comfort oriented steering, but mine is too loose IMO.

pf728
11-13-04, 03:54 AM
That dosn't sound right. Have your front end checked out, ball joints etc. IM curently having problems with my suspension and its all over the place :madtalkin

GMike
11-14-04, 07:57 AM
Deffinatly have the ball joints checked. Big wheels are brutal on the ball joints. I had an 02 Escalade that was much looser over time due to 20" 285 series wheels and tires. New 2004 Escalade is much better. Just switched back to factory wheels. Deffinately rides better, even though it doesn't look as good. :yup:

Lade
11-14-04, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the info,
I'm dropping it at the dealer on monday to have it checked out. The steering wheel also makes noise when turning???

mastertech
11-15-04, 06:14 PM
The larger the tire contact patch, the more you will be all over the road. With 305's and 22's, the dealer will probably just laugh.

ALLeyez187onME
11-16-04, 02:06 AM
Yea i was about to say the same thing. The dealer wont do anything but stare and laugh. He cant help you unless you take off the wheels. If it makes you feel any better I have 24's, and around here the roads are crap, and even worse now because of construction, I'll be lucky to not get pulled over for looking like a DUI suspect, trying to keep my truck in a lane. My truck feels almost as if it goes with every groover in the road, left and right, all over the place.

Taldryn
12-31-11, 10:45 AM
Sorry to reopen this old thread. But I'm currently having this "all over the road" bs with my 2003 escalade (stock wheels and rims). Just got the truck back a few weeks ago after getting front hub assemblies replaced, rear brake plates, lower ball joints, 2 new tires(balanced and aligned) and they checked out my "service ride control". said i need to replace the pump. Does anyone think the air suspension might be the culprit of my drunk driving style?

mikedyk43
12-31-11, 02:14 PM
Sorry to reopen this old thread. But I'm currently having this "all over the road" bs with my 2003 escalade (stock wheels and rims). Just got the truck back a few weeks ago after getting front hub assemblies replaced, rear brake plates, lower ball joints, 2 new tires(balanced and aligned) and they checked out my "service ride control". said i need to replace the pump. Does anyone think the air suspension might be the culprit of my drunk driving style?

Not likely! The air suspension really has nothing to do with the steering. This is mainly a front end issue, as in alignment and/or steering linkage.

altacarp
01-01-12, 05:22 AM
When I bought my 2005 a couple years ago I had a problem keeping her between the lines. Hard to describe but very noticeable like a ship at sea I ended up replacing all four shocks with GM front OEM and Arnott rears. The left rear and right front shock were both bad when I took them off the truck although they didn't appear to be leaking. Truck is now what you'd expect from a Cadillac on the highway no more driving along nervously anticipating some random swerve that your truck might decide to take unexpectedly. Initially I took her to a shop for a wheel alignment and asked them to have a look at the wonky steering. They took it for a ride and noticed the problem but on inspection only found a slightly loose inner tie rod on the passenger side. I went to rockauto bought left and right side inner tie rods, replaced them and took her back for the alignment and four new Michellin LTX M/S2 but it didn't help until I did the shocks. I checked this forum for the same steering problems but as I said it is hard to describe and a little bit scary.

wake
01-28-12, 10:59 PM
The steering should require less effort in the Caddy versus the GMC/Chevy but shouldn't be, 'loose'.

I just purchased an 05 yesterday and it's loose as well. I have the front end problem listed on my due bill from the dealer so I wasn't concerned. The dealer had a higher mile 06 on the lot which I also drove and it had a night tight feel to it as you would expect.

What's a low mile vehicle for an 02? SUVs are pretty hard on suspension parts. My 02 Trailblazer needed new ball joints, shocks, bushings, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings before 90K miles. I suspect my 05 with 82K miles probably needs a lot of the same as it drives like my 02 TB before the suspension rebuild.

enger126
01-29-12, 05:44 PM
I had the same loose steering in my 04 Denali and 05 Escalade I changed the inner and outer tie rods pitman and idler arm got an alignment and now it drives nice and tight.

wake
02-12-12, 03:46 PM
Another thought.

I took the Escalade in for a check and the Chevy dealer where I purchased it can't find anything wrong with the suspension, they claim it's supposed to be like that.

A little searching around the web found there to be a problem over time with the steering gearbox loosening up and needing adjustment. I forgot all about those things since the last vehicle I had with one was from the 80s. I'll be going to the Cadillac dealer to have them take a second look at it before my due bill expires and ask them about the steering gear box needing adjustment.

I'd attemp the adjustment myself but from what I remember these things are pretty easy to destroy if you do it incorrectly.