Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4.6 Rod Clearance

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
I am building a new 4.6 northstar to use in my class 1 offroad racecar. I am mocking up my crank with rods. I am looking for the rod clearances as i am starting with new eagle forged rods.

I was told to measure clearance between the two rods when installed on the crank.

What should this clearance be?

#2 ·
Here is the procedure for a 2000 year

Note the orientation of paired connecting rods on each crankpin. The notches in the connecting rod cap must be facing each other.
Before removing the connecting rods, check the connecting rod end play using the following procedure:
2.1. Tap the connecting rod to one end of the crankshaft journal with a dead-blow or wooden hammer.

2.2. Using feeler gages, measure the clearance between the crankshaft counterweight and the connecting rod.

2.3. The connecting rod end play should not exceed 0.500 mm (0.020 in).

2.4. If the end play exceeds the specified limits, measure the width of the crankpin end of the connecting rod.

2.5. The width of the crankpin end of the connecting rod should be 21.745 - 21.805 mm (0.856 - 0.858 in).

2.6. If the connecting rod width is significantly smaller than specified and severe wear is present on the side of the connecting rod, replace the connecting rod.

2.7. If the connecting rod width is within specification and excessive scoring is present on the crankshaft journals, replace the crankshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.