: Uh-oh, is this normal???

carguy16
11-12-04, 06:32 PM
I drove the Fleetwood today for the third time, I was pulling out onto the high way making a left turn, as soon as I straightened out I floored it, at this point I was doing about 15-20 MPH. After I floored it, it roared and took off, it shifted gear's and the rear tire squelched, I was doing 30 or 45 MPH when this happened.

Now, the second scare I had. I was on my way home and I floored it, I was picking up speed, I cant say how fast I was going ;) :coolgleam , but the LOW COOLANT light came on, I immediately let off of the gas pedal then the light went off, I then pulled over into a drive way, jumped out and made sure nothing was gushing out.

Oh, and its official, I have a peg leg rear end. :burn:

CADDYBLACK99
11-12-04, 10:06 PM
Uh-oh #1: Sounds normal to me..flooring it will cause it to drop down a gear or two...roar and take off and even chirp the tires as the tourque kicks in! For some of us flooring it also causes big grin :D

Uh-oh #2: Sudden extreme operating conditions will cause any weak systems to stress. :eek: It may be that your coolant level was a little on the low side to begin with and then when called into heavy action it decided to tell you :rant2: to check the coolant level!

Adam
11-12-04, 10:58 PM
^ could be that. i had the same problem there with no. 2 - somehow that could have been worded better-. i kept getting a LOW COOLANT signal but it was every once in a while. finally it was every one hundred miles. i took it to a garage and had them look at it. turned out to be just a cap but they had to do a radiator flush cause it sat for a long time.

HotRodSaint
11-13-04, 08:47 AM
Uh-oh #1: Sounds normal to me..flooring it will cause it to drop down a gear or two...roar and take off and even chirp the tires as the tourque kicks in! For some of us flooring it also causes big grin :D

I was able to get traction control to engage breifly once recently during a second gear shift, after launching with as little first gear interference as possible. :burn:

HotRodSaint
11-13-04, 08:49 AM
Uh-oh #2: Sudden extreme operating conditions will cause any weak systems to stress. :eek: It may be that your coolant level was a little on the low side to begin with and then when called into heavy action it decided to tell you :rant2: to check the coolant level!

Ah yes, coolant is the week spot on our cars. Heater cores get clogged very easily. I'd flush the system.

carguy16
11-13-04, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info, you know someone might just think we have a manual, I never knew it was possible to do that with an automatic, I was suprised as hell when I heard that tire chirp. :wtf:

As far as the coolant goes, I can tell you the Coolant DOES NOT get full to the top when the engine has been ran, it always seems to stay in one spot, I would be expecting the fluid to be expanded, but apparently it doesnt do that. But, I think it would be a good idea to flush the system.

I think it would be a good idea to flush the power steering system as well, I know the local Chevy dealer advertises a $59.00 job for a power steering flush, my fluid is very liquidy and brown. The dealer would be the way to go, if there is a clog in my heater core, how would it get un-clogged??? I have used the defroster once, and it seems to work.

HotRodSaint
11-13-04, 01:07 PM
if there is a clog in my heater core, how would it get un-clogged???

You'll know because it will be cold, not hot.

And replacement is the only cure.

ocjmakaveli
11-13-04, 10:00 PM
btw this is completely NORMAL both of your descriptions the chirp is mainly 2 reasons good torque and your tires are too skinny not enough traction this is normal for stock wheels wider tires eliminate most of the slippage at least 70%

i get the low coolant light too when i floor it but it only comes on for a brief second when its going at high rpm's in my opinion the coolant etc. is moving so fast the switch/sensor may get triggered for a brief moment.

i did a flush this year and i don't remember having seen the light lately but i know i've got it plenty of times when flooring it the light does not come on unless i floor it and even then it's just occasional.

happy driving i know by your post you enjoyed it especially the chirping, just wait until you start modding and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the potential of the 5.7l Lt1 engine even on a heavy car like this.

Adam
11-14-04, 02:58 AM
well, can you believe this sh!t. driving to work tonight and guess what just happens to kick on. the damn LOW COOLANT light. pisses me off. it is low too. i looked at it and it is real low. i will probably have to get some before going home in the morning. well, see you guys tuesday.