: '87 brougham trouble spots?

Insomniac
11-12-04, 07:20 PM
i'm looking for a new car (my old one in wrecked), so in my local paper an '87 cadillac fleetwood brougham is listed. i called the guy and he said it's in perfect shap except for one thing: the radiotor leaks. how expensive would a new one be, how easy to find? i'm guessing it'll be around $100, and i they didn't have any for the brougham on ebay.

i then asked him how many miles it had on her and he said he doesn't know because it's a 5 digit odometer (which i'm suspecting is not true). it's a small dealership, so they don't know much else about it.

when i go to look at, what should i inspect? remember, he says it's in great condition, all except the radiator.

brougham
11-12-04, 07:52 PM
Call a parts place to find out how much a new radiator is or if they want a lot for the car get them to fix it before you buy it. I don't know if they have 5 digit odometers or not but some cars did then. Why would he lie about it if you can just go there and see that's what it has?

Have a look throguh this part of the forum and you'll be able to see what kind of problems they have.

barge master
11-12-04, 08:07 PM
One thing in particular if you're up north is the frames tend to get really scaly. They rot the worst in front of the rear tires, just below the rear corner of the rear doors. The very end near the bumper shocks rot out too.

luddyludwick
11-12-04, 08:56 PM
Just my $0.02...

Like barge said, frames to get scaly. My '85 FWB's frame isn't the prettiest thing ever, for sure.

As for odometers, my '85 has the 5 digit...you'd think my car is pretty low miles just looking at the odo (64,000)...but it's really 164,000!

I'd check:

1) rear suspension. The air shocks in the back wear out, as does the suspension air compressor. To test: turn on car, then have everyone get in. Wait a few minutes, and you should see a green "Level Ride" light come on on the dash. If you're sitting still and it keeps on coming on, or the car isn't level like it would be with just you in it, there's probably something wrong.

Just check little details like you would any other car. If you do get it, you might as well put in a new thermostat, too. It's just something else that it's nice to not have to worry about in your cooling system!

Cheers!

sizanjdf
11-13-04, 03:26 PM
I have an extra radiator out of my parts car....Im from stillwater, oklahoma so find out how much shipping would be to you and we can see if we can work something out if u get the car

Insomniac
11-13-04, 05:08 PM
I have an extra radiator out of my parts car....Im from stillwater, oklahoma so find out how much shipping would be to you and we can see if we can work something out if u get the car

that would be great. but first, i'll see if i want to buy the car ;).

i'm going to go look at it pretty soon. any last suggestions?

Insomniac
11-14-04, 03:17 PM
well i just got back from looking at it (1987 cadillac brougham delegance). the air ride works just fine, there's no rust (that i noticed), and it drives smooth. the interior is in absolute perfect condition, well...it has no rear view mirror for some odd reason :hmm: but other than that it's immaculate.

and it definitally needs a new radiator. sizanjdf, how much would you sell the one off your parts car for?

P.S. what gas milage do these get? and it has a 307 olds engine, did they come out of the factory with these in them?

luddyludwick
11-14-04, 04:52 PM
They are actually pretty fuel efficient, I think. They put out all those full-size GMs in the 80s with really low (numerically) axle ratios, so the engine turns really slow. I would expect at least 20mpg on the highway; our '87 Caprice with the 305 actually got 30 mpg on a trip once!

Yes, 86-90 FWBs have the Olds 307...too bad they didn't put in the Chevy 305...it made 30 hp more!

Insomniac
11-14-04, 05:34 PM
great! well i really hope i can get this car, he wants $1750. is this a good price?

barge master
11-14-04, 08:46 PM
If the car is in overall good shape, that would seem like a reasonable price range. I've heard some of the prices some other members have paid and it made my hair stand on end. Slowly but surely, those cars are becoming icons of the past and if you keep it up, you won't lose money on it.
Glad to hear you like it, hope the deal works out in your favor. :2thumbs:

Destroyer
11-14-04, 10:21 PM
well i just got back from looking at it (1987 cadillac brougham delegance). the air ride works just fine, there's no rust (that i noticed), and it drives smooth. the interior is in absolute perfect condition, well...it has no rear view mirror for some odd reason :hmm: but other than that it's immaculate.

and it definitally needs a new radiator. sizanjdf, how much would you sell the one off your parts car for?

P.S. what gas milage do these get? and it has a 307 olds engine, did they come out of the factory with these in them?
The mileage must be pretty high on the car you are looking at. Chop a few hundred off the price and have them fix the radiator. Older Fleetwoods are cheap (bargains actually), so finding another shouldn't be a problem. I honestly believe its best to spend a little more if you have to for a low mileage clean condition car from an old guy. In the long run it will save you.

I have an 87 which currently has 93k orig miles (had 72k when I got it for $1k) and I couldn't be happier with the car. I've had my Caddy for over a year, put on about 21k miles and the car never breaks so I'd recommend one with the 307. I average around 17-19 mpg with my car so mileage was a really good surprise and it operates perfect on 87 octane.

Insomniac
11-14-04, 11:50 PM
^^i doubt that guy that's selling it is willing to put in a new radiator. if so, he would have already. he says he bought it from a dealership, put on new tires he got from a friend, cleaned it up, and put it up for sale. but i will haggle the price down a little.

it's the only brougham in my area (wichita, ks), in that price range for sale i've seen for a month. plus, i don't have any more money to buy a nicer one. ;)

sizanjdf
11-15-04, 02:45 AM
sounds like a pretty good price to me...not great, but not bad at all if its in good condition....how much is that radiator worth??? im guessing around 50 bucks....and ur not to far away either so shipping shouldnt be to bad...or borrow a friends little honda that gets 30 mpg and come pick it up...lol. If that sounds kinda high on the price let me know and I might come down on it

Insomniac
11-15-04, 06:19 PM
all my friends' hondas have turnbos on them and are all riced out :helpless:

50 seems like a good price. is it a good radiator? everything works, nothing leeks, and it would fit an 87 brougham?

it would cost about 12 dollors to ship (your area code is 74074, right?) and would take one buisness day. but like i said before, let me buy the car first ;)

sizanjdf
11-15-04, 07:10 PM
yep u got the area code right, and I just took it out of the car this weekend and it seemed fine....ive driven the car quite a bit and it didnt seem to leak or anything...before I sell it to you though I will test it and make sure. If you really like the car offer him like 1250 or somethin for it. You can always pay more if you really want the car...I would say 1500 wouldnt be a bad price...I have an 88 d'elegance parts car...so if you need anything else let me know

Insomniac
11-15-04, 07:40 PM
I have an 88 d'elegance parts car...so if you need anything else let me know

how about a rear view mirror? is it just a reguler old mirror or does it have the automatic dimmer on it? if it doesn't have the auto dimmer i'll pay $15 for it.

sizanjdf
11-16-04, 05:46 AM
sounds great to me...a radiator and a rearview mirror....anything else...besides the car to go with it. lol

DopeStar 156
11-16-04, 10:11 AM
If your 87 had the autodimmer you'd see wires coming out of the cieling above where the mirror mounts. If there's no wires, then you just had a standard mirror. The mirror could have fallen from having something heavy hanging from it in the heat. I had a metal dragon hanging from the mirror in my 89 Lincoln and after a few days in the sun it pulled the mirror off. I had to remount the pain in the ass. That's why in my Caddy I just have some virtually weightless dice and a little Marilyn Manson symbol I made. Good luck with the new car. I paid $2,200 for my 89 with 115k on the odometer and the car has given me nothing but loyal service since May.