: seville indash cd

stoveguyy
02-04-12, 03:38 PM
i have 96 seville bose setup with cd-changer in trunk. will a 98 in-dash cd unit install ok? i could live without a cd changer function. actually i want to only use the in-dash cd function on the newer unit. i found a 96 and 98 in boneyard with intact systems. i do not know if they work but the head unit size seems to match. both dash/consoles have not been touched yet.

N*Caddy
02-05-12, 11:52 AM
YES it will work just fine as long as you have the VIN cleaned from the replacement HU. This is done ONLY with a TECHII tool (usually dealers have it).
It will cost you around $50, takes about 5 minutes and you have to provide to the dealer a LEGAL proof of purchasing of the replacement HU. In this paper should be stated the name of the seller and the donor vehicle VIN. Otherwise a dealer won't touch the unit (is a matter of protecting us from people stealing the HU). If you have trouble with the dealer telling you that it won't work as '96 never had that unit see my Stock to BOSE conversion thread. I explained in there in one of the posts what they are suppose to do (in a nutshell: set the TECHII as if is connected to a '98+ car not a '96).

stoveguyy
02-05-12, 01:55 PM
Will the cd changer still function with my plan? I looked in trunk of 98 and did not see a changer or wiring. I can live without changer. Why do I want in car cd function? Bored I guess. And no one else will have a 96 Seville with factory Bose in dash unit. Does donor unit work? Am sure yard will give me credit on a doa unit. Now, how do I get the faceplate off and hu out?

N*Caddy
02-06-12, 01:29 AM
YES, the existing CD changer will still work.
There was no In-Dash CD unit available in '96 and '97, you need a '98+ unit.
To remove the HU you need to remove the shifter knob, then pull up the wood trim (with the PRND321 on it), and disconnect the attached wires. Locate the 2 screws on the bottom of the ashtray and the one underneath the ashtray (you have to remove the tray to see it). Remove that and disconnect the harness then locate the 2 screws on the bottom of the Climate Control Module. Then you need to remove the piece on top of the HU with the INFO button on it (use a flat plastic tool inserted in a corner between the HU and pull up and out). Disconnect the harness and now you have access to the last 2 screws that hold the HU/Climate control assembly (the two are attached together with a bracket). Now you can pull out the two units and disconnect the harnesses (1 for Climate Control Module and 1 for HU + the Antenna cable). Once out you can separate the HU from the Climate Control Module and replace with the new one.
Once everything is installed you are off to the dealer (with ~$50 in your pocket) and the proof of purchase of the replacement HU (that will get rid of the THEFTLOCK message).
You can skip the dealer thing and save the $50 if you purchase a brand new (never ever, ever, ever installed in a car) HU. Again very important, not “like new”, note “brand new, tested works fine” it has to never been connected to a car.
Before doing anything really make sure your existing unit is a BOSE otherwise won't work (even if the base and BOSE units look similar could not be more different inside). From your post I see you did not read the thread I recommended you, do that then take the next steps into this.
B.T.W. the procedure is described many times on this forum, do a quick search and you can see it described in much more details including pictures.

stoveguyy
02-06-12, 01:49 PM
Lazy. I have factory cd unit from our grand prix sitting on shelf. But that's another story. Both units in cars say bose and my car is Bose so we are ok there. I wanted a quick answer. Got it. At least I am trying to stay with factory stuff.

stoveguyy
02-23-12, 01:32 PM
Junkyard guy said I can hook up 9v battery to hu leads and save memory so I don't have to clear theft code with tech2 tool. Ever heard off that? Have not pulled unit yet. Yes there is no battery in car now. But he said unit still has retained power? Huh?

eldorado_97
02-25-12, 11:07 PM
:thepan: the car communicates with the radio and your car knows your vin so when you turn on the car it looks at the current vin in the radio and if they are not matching then it will active theft lock... and actually it has a built in battery so it does remember the vin, so that it does not clear the vin when you disconnect it

N*Caddy
02-26-12, 01:06 AM
It will be stupid and useless to have the VIN cleaned just like that.
Remember the people working on junkyards barley have a high school (if that), be selective in who you listen for advises.

Lazy. I have factory cd unit from our grand prix sitting on shelf. But that's another story. Both units in cars say bose and my car is Bose so we are ok there. I wanted a quick answer. Got it. At least I am trying to stay with factory stuff.
Grand Prix is NOT Cadillac so it won't work.

stoveguyy
03-07-12, 05:05 PM
yes i know grand prix unit will not work/fit in my caddy. sort of a side comment that i had a gm indash cd unit but i need a proper one from a caddy. i look at many craigslist ads and found a few bose systems for caddys but prices were higher for the hu and seller was trying to unload entire system where i only need hu.

N*Caddy
03-09-12, 11:00 PM
Contact ponyboyt he has like 10 BOSE HUs sitting on the shelf.
Ebay has tons of these HUs for under $30.

stoveguyy
03-13-12, 12:38 PM
There is boneyard 4 miles from my house with several good cars. Actually it is pretty easy to find these units. Might go there today. Supposed to be 65f which is awesome for march in MN.

stoveguyy
04-05-12, 12:51 PM
The 98 unit does not say Bose. It has no signal processing buttons either. So that means it will not work in my 96 Bose equipped car? Could have sworn it said Bose last time I looked at it. The 2nd car, 96 also does have a Bose unit which is identical to my car.

N*Caddy
04-06-12, 02:29 AM
BOSE with BOSE, base with base, can't mix them. If it doesn’t say BOSE and is '98-'01 then is NOT BOSE.
BOSE has a DSP button and a yellow RDS logo near the RDS button (yellow rectangle) plus the BOSE logo on the bottom left side of the screen
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5375/19433552.jpg
Here is a detail of the screen with the BOSE logo on the bottom left.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3057/facew.jpg
The theftlock logo is what tells you is a '98+ unit.
A white RDS logo tells you the unit is '02+ (not compatible for you).

Here is a simple diagram of the BOSE sound system
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/mtflight/etc/BOSE.jpg
note how the central piece of the audio system is the RIM NOT the HU, the HU and the CD changer as just auxiliary devices.
And here is the simple diagram of the base sound system
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/574/baseek.jpg
The HU is the central part of the sound system, the CD changer connects to the HU, and so do the speakers.

stoveguyy
04-13-12, 11:08 PM
Guy on eBay has 98-01 Bose units for 27 with free shipping. He has pic of unit With yellow rds buttons. I asked him and he said they will not work on 96-97 cars.

N*Caddy
04-15-12, 12:41 AM
As I pictured my car, it clearly work in '97 (and '96 too), just that the '96 and '97 HAS TO BE BOSE.

stoveguyy
10-08-12, 11:41 AM
My trans died. I got a used trans from a 99 eldo and I see it has Bose in-dash cd unit. Has yellow rds logo too. So that will work on my 96 Bose Seville? Just checking.

N*Caddy
10-14-12, 10:03 PM
ANY '98+ Eldorado InDash CD (BOSE) will work in a '96 and '97 Seville/Eldorado with BOSE sound system. Is a plug and play thing, just you need to do the VIN clear thing. I just installed 1 week ago a BOSE HU from a '99 STS in my friend's '97 Eldorado (BOSE). My car has a '99 Eldorado HU for years. It only took 1 minute with the TechII to get the VIN cleaned.

stoveguyy
10-23-12, 11:52 AM
I just want in-dash cd ability. I did not think of rds or song info? Is that a big deal or just a gimmick? Why did ur friend swap units?

N*Caddy
10-25-12, 09:11 AM
RDS is a good thing, it tells you what radio station you listen to (not just the frequency), some stations brodcast on RDS the show name, the song name, even the clock so you can sync the car clock using the radio station time.
My friend asked me to swap the HU because he was in the same situation like you, he wanted a CD slot.