: 1.9D engine/diesel warmer

BLS_1.9_TiD_Sweden
02-02-12, 07:34 AM
Hi guys,

So, I've had a "problem" since a couple of years ago on my -06 (bought -07) BLS that's really annoying me ALOT. I'm feed up at this point. The "problem" I'm thinking of is an engine/diesel warmer which is engaged at below 9 degrees celsius, best seen being active by indicating

1) A yellow light on the dashboard with a "heat rising pattern" and the number 2 besides it. I hope I make my self completly understood now :)

and

2) Sometimes the car starts to fumigate ALOT from approx below and of the middle of the car.

I've acctually been terrified sometimes that the car will catch on fire (which it won't, obviously (I HOPE!!!)), the fumes (smelling as of diesel fumes) are sometimes so "intense" or that much that people are also starring at the car, not out of attention to the car itself, but because of the fumes it produces.

I've spoken to the workshop that I service the car and said that it really disturbes me alot. I guess of course it's not bad that the engine is heated quicker because then I can enjoy some warmth in the car on a cold winters day here in Sweden, because the engine is getting hotter alot quicker, but it's very disturbing. At the workshop they said that alot of the BLS owners do complain about this, and this problem is also found on some Mercs. The technican at the workshop said that he always writes down complaints about these sort of "problems" to give them to some sort of general agent, so that they some day maybe can give us costumers a fix. But as of last time at the workshop, there was no solution.

Even though the light comes up below 9 degrees celsius more often than seldom, sometimes it doesn't - even if the temperature outside is say -2 or +6 or -10 or..., you get the point. I don't know if it's something I do differently when the light doesn't pop up and the car doesn't fume, but those times the diesel warmer doesn't start I'm happy. Not only just because of not having any fumes, but also to my fuel economy - the warmer makes a nice statement on the average consumption during winter time. The warmer stops when the engine is up to temperature (the middle tick on the temperature gauge). The diesel warmer has NEVER started above +9 degrees celsius.

So, what the h*ll is my question then you might ask after this novel. Do you guys have any problems with this (diesel BLSs of course)? Is there an "easy"/hard/whatever fix to this? If I remember correctly, last winter I went through the books of the car to find if there might be a fuse to pull for this, but no luck. Stop this maddness, I want to atleast have this type of control over my car!

//Jacob

Tong
02-03-12, 12:38 PM
Hi Jacob,

is this a device that is only fitted to cold climate cars .. I don't seem to have noticed that there is one on my car? even so it seem like a scary problem.

I note that you are in the Gothenberg region .. I visit a factory at Annelund once each year and this year intend to drive up there from Copenhagen .. perhaps we could get the opportunity to meet and compare notes about the BLS or drive up to Trondheim and get some answers on spare parts :)

best regards
Tony

ExRPO1
02-04-12, 08:44 AM
I'm pretty sure my own vehicle is NOT fitted wth this device either. I suspect as already mentioned, it was a Nordic/Baltic States option?

ajp558
02-05-12, 05:09 PM
Same here. My wife's BMW X5 diesel has a pre-heater which heats up the engine when the weather is cold, but my BLS has nothing like that and takes ages to get warm.

BLS_1.9_TiD_Sweden
02-08-12, 04:30 AM
Hi Jacob,

is this a device that is only fitted to cold climate cars .. I don't seem to have noticed that there is one on my car? even so it seem like a scary problem.

I note that you are in the Gothenberg region .. I visit a factory at Annelund once each year and this year intend to drive up there from Copenhagen .. perhaps we could get the opportunity to meet and compare notes about the BLS or drive up to Trondheim and get some answers on spare parts :)

best regards
Tony

Hi Tony! I guess it's fitted to atleast cars intended for Sweden, I don't know. Guess I could search around for some info on the Saab forums for some help, but I rather not... :)

Sounds like a great idea, I might even be able to show you my problem :) Hit me up on jacob.oliver.langer@gmail.com (I know, a bit long...)

Jacob

----------

Same here. My wife's BMW X5 diesel has a pre-heater which heats up the engine when the weather is cold, but my BLS has nothing like that and takes ages to get warm.

Thanks for the answers guys!

ajp, when, on RARE occasions, the pre-heater isn't on even though it's colder outside the engine does take forever to get up to temperature. kind of a "catch 22" situation, I don't want the pre-heater, but when it's on I do have a warm car within minutes.

I kind of enjoy having it on those really cold days, like yesterday at -14 celsius, pretty happy about it - but on days like today when it's "only" -3 degrees, I rather not have it on. I guess I'm just greedy but I really like the type of average consumption I get during summers (about 6.1l/100 km --> 46 mpg), instead of what I have today (about 38 mpg).

Well, thanks alot again guys and if you hear anything anywhere about how to solve this, just give me a shout! :)

Jacob