: found cause of coolant smell

gust_1980
11-12-04, 12:56 AM
for months now ive had that burnt coolant smell and was scared to find out what the cause was. well, i took a chance and let my shop look at it, well, it wasnt a bad line or bad head gasket....turns out it was a bad freeze plug. it makes sense now actually, the smell is coming from exactly where they said it was. only thing is, i dont have the 600 dollars it takes to fix it. is this quote fair, and how long can i expect to drive with this problem?

also, anyone who has a coolant smell, i suggest you take a look at your freezeplugs.

dkozloski
11-12-04, 01:34 AM
Elsewhere on this forum I saw it stated that a North* doesn't have freezeplugs. Since it is an open deck design it doesn't need them. In that case why not just send me the $600. You'll get the same result.

SHERIFF
11-12-04, 08:14 AM
Or use the $600 to have freezeplugs installed. Then they can leak. :D

growe3
11-12-04, 09:52 AM
Ask them to point out the leak out to you. It may be a block drain that is seeping.

-George

gust_1980
11-12-04, 09:23 PM
wow, i didnt know that. i appreciate the advice, facts and sarcasm. tough luck though, i dont have the 600 to give to them, let alone you guys :) . i will take it somewhere else and see what the verdict is and let you guys know.

SHERIFF
11-13-04, 07:14 PM
i appreciate the advice, facts and sarcasm.
To be quite honest, I didn't know they didn't have freeze plugs until this subject came along either. You gotta have a little bit of humor to take the edge off a $600 repair. :)

BeelzeBob
11-13-04, 11:48 PM
for months now ive had that burnt coolant smell and was scared to find out what the cause was. well, i took a chance and let my shop look at it, well, it wasnt a bad line or bad head gasket....turns out it was a bad freeze plug. it makes sense now actually, the smell is coming from exactly where they said it was. only thing is, i dont have the 600 dollars it takes to fix it. is this quote fair, and how long can i expect to drive with this problem?

also, anyone who has a coolant smell, i suggest you take a look at your freezeplugs.

Have you tried putting fresh coolant in the system and adding the coolant supplement/sealer that is discussed often....??? If there is just a slight seepage then possibly that will seal it up....

Wicho
11-15-04, 11:05 PM
Bbob, I finally found the bars leak golden powder at my local walmart. Where do I add this stuff to, is it where I pour coolant or into a hose ? I car has been leaking coolant and tomorrow I am taking it to a shop so they can take a better look at it ( I took it today but they couldn't locate the leak ). He said it could be the water pump but wasn't sure. Is there anything else that it could be ? Thanks for any help.

eldorado1
11-15-04, 11:10 PM
Bbob, I finally found the bars leak golden powder at my local walmart. Where do I add this stuff to, is it where I pour coolant or into a hose ? I car has been leaking coolant and tomorrow I am taking it to a shop so they can take a better look at it ( I took it today but they couldn't locate the leak ). He said it could be the water pump but wasn't sure. Is there anything else that it could be ? Thanks for any help.

Easiest way is to the top radiator hose. Have them check the "water log" to block gaskets...

STS 310
11-16-04, 10:12 AM
I thought Bars goes into the lower radiator hose? The top hose will send it through the radiator first and then to the engine. I think you want the Bars going through the engine first.

peteski
11-17-04, 01:28 AM
It doesn't matter which hose you put it in as long as you don't put it in the overflow tank (which has no flow through it).

Once the thermostat opens, the supplement will get distributed throughout the entire cooling system.

:cool:

Peteski

STS 310
11-17-04, 12:33 PM
Yea, I forgot to mention that the overflow is a no no.