: Air Conditioning running in Automatic mode?

PeteK
01-30-12, 11:20 PM
I've only had the car for a few days, but it seems like whenever I select automatic operation of the Climate Control, the A/C light comes on, even with low ambient temps (~45). Is this normal?

Thanks!

M5eater
01-30-12, 11:27 PM
yes, it's normal. The car uses the A/C when it's in automatic mode. If you're worried it sucking power, iirc, it also automatically shuts the compressor off past a certain throttle position.

Marcuse12
01-31-12, 01:03 AM
It turns off the a/c when the ambient temp is around 32 degrees

PeteK
01-31-12, 01:47 AM
yes, it's normal. The car uses the A/C when it's in automatic mode. If you're worried it sucking power, iirc, it also automatically shuts the compressor off past a certain throttle position.

I figured it would do that. I was more worried about it sucking gas, but I guess I should just face it that I've got a V, and I'm going to be getting pretty comfortable with the gas station.

Club Malibu
01-31-12, 06:24 AM
and I'm going to be getting pretty comfortable with the gas station.

I live in NJ; it's unlawful to pump your gas. The guys at the Sunoco gave me their user ID, password and sequence for me to pump my own gas. It's great when it's really crowded and there's only one guy working. I'm the last car to pull up and the first car to pull away.

maiahsdad
01-31-12, 07:08 AM
I live in NJ; it's unlawful to pump your gas. The guys at the Sunoco gave me their user ID, password and sequence for me to pump my own gas. It's great when it's really crowded and there's only one guy working. I'm the last car to pull up and the first car to pull away.

What? U cant pump Ur own gas? Why is that? I can't GET someone else to pump my gas unless I pay twice the price per gallon in the full serve lane.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-31-12, 07:43 AM

The 'gas pumpers' in NJ are probably union.... if someone is going to half assed the job, the union must do it! Never heard of such.... Can you wash your own car in NJ?

AC is seldom needed in winter except to defog the windshield with 'dry' air so the automotive industry made use of AC to keep the system active (and working) during any and all times that climate control or windshield defogging is activated. The system degrades if left inactive for extended periods of time.... and that's the truth - razzz razzz...

69mets
01-31-12, 09:29 AM
It is not yet illegal to wash your own car in New Jersey, but they are trying to make it illegal. The state department of environmental protection strongly encourages you to take your car to a professional car wash. I think community fundraiser type car wash may be illegal now. They don't want the run off to get into the storm drains.

sfv41901
01-31-12, 01:53 PM
It is not yet illegal to wash your own car in New Jersey, but they are trying to make it illegal. The state department of environmental protection strongly encourages you to take your car to a professional car wash. I think community fundraiser type car wash may be illegal now. They don't want the run off to get into the storm drains.

Wow......I know where I'll never move too. Government always trying to control every aspect of our freaking life. What's next.......controlled sex

M5eater
01-31-12, 01:56 PM
Wow......I know where I'll never move too. Government always trying to control every aspect of our freaking life. What's next.......controlled sex

ahem

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/virginia

sfv41901
01-31-12, 02:45 PM
ahem

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/virginia

WTF.........no oral.......that's BS

tedcmiller
01-31-12, 09:25 PM
Most cars operate the AC even if the temperature is low and heat is called for by the automatic climate control. The air is first dehumidified by the AC and then heated.

PeteK
02-01-12, 03:33 AM
The air is first dehumidified by the AC and then heated.

Hmm, just what I need driving to work in the Mojave desert: dehumidification!

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-01-12, 08:17 AM

Hell, AC doesn't work in the desert anyhow! You need a car equipt with a swamp cooler.....

sfv41901
02-01-12, 12:14 PM

Do u live on that side or just work out there? I live in Palmdale.

commander112
02-01-12, 02:35 PM
A/C does not drain the power or suck the gas like it used to. Like everything, design has improved over the years. It costs less to run the A/C with the windows up then to have the A/C off with the windows down these days. Therefore, don't worry about it in winter and be happy that your windows won't fog up.
As a side note, I always laugh at the people that drive Japanese cars that have the switch for fresh and recirculated air and they have it set to recirculate during the winter months. Their windows are always all fogged up and I'm sure they have no idea what is going on.

sfv41901
02-01-12, 03:18 PM
The only time I switch from fresh air to re-circulate is when I've got a smoker, whether cigs, oil, diesel in fnt or around me.

thebigjimsho
02-01-12, 03:50 PM
Even though gas is usually very cheap in NJ, I can't deal with the monkeys filling up for me. Drips down the side are the bane of my existence...

FLTRI
02-01-12, 05:44 PM
Just turn off the compressor. There is a button for it, after all...

PeteK
02-01-12, 08:33 PM
Just turn off the compressor. There is a button for it, after all...

Yup, but that takes it out of auto mode. Not a big deal, but I just wanted to make sure the A/C was expected behavior.

M5eater
02-01-12, 11:03 PM
Even though gas is usually very cheap in NJ, I can't deal with the monkeys filling up for me. Drips down the side are the bane of my existence...
amen. I try to stop in MD when I run up there and again when I leave.

PeteK
02-01-12, 11:10 PM
Do u live on that side or just work out there? I live in Palmdale.

I work in scenic Mojave, live up in Tehachapi. There's nothing like explaining that I couldn't drive to work because the highway is closed from snow in Southern California.

sfv41901
02-01-12, 11:39 PM
I work in scenic Mojave, live up in Tehachapi. There's nothing like explaining that I couldn't drive to work because the highway is closed from snow in Southern California.

I know what u mean.......Jan 2010 my boss heard it from me......he thought I was crazy till I showed him a pic.