: Hands free dialing from iPhone contacts...

FLTRI
01-29-12, 03:48 PM
Yes, it can be done. :thumbsup:

Click on the distorted pic to play video...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/th_71d13c7b.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/?action=view&current=71d13c7b.mp4)

mrl859
01-29-12, 04:59 PM
While that does work, what a pain in the neck. You should be able to push one button and say' "call xxxxx". I'm sure the CUE will do this.

FLTRI
01-29-12, 05:14 PM
Agreed, you do have to jump through hoops, and it failed twice before I got it to work for the video. You are using the phones voice recognition software to make the call. What would be nice is a menu, like the iPod menu...

On the plus side, I suspect (haven't tried it) you can use this procedure to read and send text messages using Siri, or access anything else Siri does. i doubt I'll ever do any of that, but it should work...

mrl859
01-29-12, 05:21 PM
What I do is hold the "home" button down on my iphone 4S while it is holstered on my hip. Siri immediately accesses the handsfree and then I just say, "call xxx". A lot less steps, but still clunky.

FLTRI
01-29-12, 05:29 PM
What I do is hold the "home" button down on my iphone 4S while it is holstered on my hip. Siri immediately accesses the handsfree and then I just say, "call xxx". A lot less steps, but still clunky.

Much easier, thanks for that!

Fireverm
01-29-12, 05:31 PM
As ridiculous as that dance is, I have done it tons of times while my iPhone is in the console. The worst part is when I forget that the third step is to say "voice". I'm left there having to wait longer as it goes through all of the choices again.

My 2012 Chevy Cruze actually allows you to long press the handsfree button on the steering wheel and bring up your recent calls so you are right there immediately.

V locity
01-29-12, 07:35 PM
Yes, it can be done. :thumbsup:

Click on the distorted pic to play video...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/th_71d13c7b.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/?action=viewĄt=71d13c7b.mp4)

Thanks! That's awesome for when you can't get to the phone!

buddyg
01-29-12, 09:52 PM
Agreed, you do have to jump through hoops, and it failed twice before I got it to work for the video. You are using the phones voice recognition software to make the call. What would be nice is a menu, like the iPod menu...

On the plus side, I suspect (haven't tried it) you can use this procedure to read and send text messages using Siri, or access anything else Siri does. i doubt I'll ever do any of that, but it should work...

Yes that works great for sending texts or emails hands free. Except when I told it to say "Siri Baby" to my wife and it sent "Siri Bi tch"

NickCat
01-29-12, 11:01 PM
Thanks for posting that... I've been spoiled by my Pioneer Nav head unit in my other car because it's a direct integration by importing the contacts from the iPhone for it's own voice recognition. What I REALLY miss though is the ability to control Pandora on my phone straight through my head unit.

I only input like 5 numbers into the car's contacts.

This is probably one of the only things I wish the car did better... keep those fingers crossed for some sort of CUE retrofit! :)

Rule12b
01-30-12, 01:12 AM
Thanks for posting that... I've been spoiled by my Pioneer Nav head unit in my other car because it's a direct integration by importing the contacts from the iPhone for it's own voice recognition. What I REALLY miss though is the ability to control Pandora on my phone straight through my head unit.

I only input like 5 numbers into the car's contacts.

This is probably one of the only things I wish the car did better... keep those fingers crossed for some sort of CUE retrofit! :)

A retrofit would be god-like. I can't even imagine GM would do something that wonderful. The phone interface in our v's is so far off the times, it's pathetic. My only real gripe with an otherwise great ride.

mrl859
01-30-12, 01:17 AM
Thanks for posting that... I've been spoiled by my Pioneer Nav head unit in my other car because it's a direct integration by importing the contacts from the iPhone for it's own voice recognition. What I REALLY miss though is the ability to control Pandora on my phone straight through my head unit. You can.

NickCat
01-30-12, 03:34 AM
You can.

I never even bothered to try because I keep a dedicated iPod in the center console with all my music on it anyway.

The Pioneer interface lets you flip through your Pandora channels, and thumb up/down songs on the interface.

What sort of control do you get? I assume basic track controls... does it pull the song info as well?

As far as a retrofit... it's really only software right? The head unit should be able to load new software on it. But I'd never actually expect it to happen... unless by some miracle the cars that will be running CUE are using the same basic brain as we have in our cars. We can dream though.

FLTRI
01-30-12, 04:06 AM
I never even bothered to try because I keep a dedicated iPod in the center console with all my music on it anyway. Pandora on my iPhone is my primary music source. I let XM expire after the trial ended.

The Pioneer interface lets you flip through your Pandora channels, and thumb up/down songs on the interface. Can't flip through the channels, but you can skip tracks & pause playback.

What sort of control do you get? I assume basic track controls... does it pull the song info as well? Yes, and yes.

As far as a retrofit... it's really only software right? The head unit should be able to load new software on it. But I'd never actually expect it to happen... unless by some miracle the cars that will be running CUE are using the same basic brain as we have in our cars. We can dream though. Yeah, I would't hold my breath. There are folks that will trade their car to get a better radio. GM is aware of that I'm sure, and isn't going to let us upgrade when they can sell another car instead... ....