: Front Sensors do nothing?

johndm
01-29-12, 10:35 AM
So what exactly are the sensors for on the front of my 2009 Sport Luxury UK model?

I don't seem to have adaptive cruise...... puzzled!

1BadCadSTS
01-29-12, 10:43 AM
Looks like postion sensors for parking

looks like you have the notorious condensation in your headlamps though...

johndm
01-29-12, 10:57 AM
They did nothing when I drove up to a wall?

Will be getting headlights done soon as still have 4 months factory warranty

1BadCadSTS
01-29-12, 11:51 AM
Have them checked out as well that's what they look like to me.

mckellyb
01-29-12, 11:53 AM
My good sir...those are the UK export-only Grey Poupon sensors.

You merely have not yet approached the proper kind of mustard, that's all.

/humor

nathanjax
01-29-12, 12:10 PM
Like others said, parking sensors. Have the dealer check them out...

ddalder
01-29-12, 03:20 PM
The adaptive cruise control module would be situated behind the emblem on the grille if it was installed. You'd also have a (primarily) flat emblem with the Cadillac symbol painted/printed on instead of the usual grille emblem.

As for the sensors, I have to wonder if someone didn't install them. There is nothing in the GM service manual about front sensors on a 2009 STS. Since the manual shows diagrams for all other items installed in the export vehicles, it makes me wonder about the origin of these. Also, they don't appear to be well positioned the way I would expect if they were factory installed.

johndm
01-31-12, 04:16 PM
Well ddalder, you were correct!

After a good poke around I found a small rocker switch up under the driver foot well (not the easiest place to easily reach), which turns on front parking sensors.
Looks to be a professional install with the wiring, shame about the not quite so good sensor positioning...:highfive:

ddalder
01-31-12, 10:48 PM
Glad you have figured them out. There are front sensors on a few different GM vehicles, including the DTS. I can understand these being turned on/off with a switch. The OEM front and rear sensors communicate on the vehicle data bus. When the vehicle is put either in drive or reverse, the system knows to activate the correct set of sensors. Speed is also monitored and the module disables the sensors above a preset value. On the DTS there is another display on top of the dash for the forward sensors. Did they install another display somewhere or is it strictly an audible warning?

johndm
02-01-12, 04:23 PM
We had a DTS a couple of years ago on our California Roadtrip, remember the LED's on top of the dash.
My STS install is bleeper only, but it will be very useful here in the UK as most parking spaces would be better suited to a Morris Minor rather than a STS.
UK multi story or parking garages as you know them are a nightmare for larger cars here too. Its sometimes difficult to negotiate the turns in them let alone trying to fit a Cadillac into a standard sized UK parking space....:rolleyes:

ddalder
02-01-12, 10:39 PM
I have to admit, I'm not very familiar with transportation in the UK. It sounds like these sensors definitely work in your favour!

Midnight
02-02-12, 11:47 AM
I have front sensors on mine, it's called the bumper :) lol