: Any other lowered V2's out there starting to squeak a lot?

jwall09
01-28-12, 10:53 PM
I have to say since it has gotten cooler out i am noticing mine squeaking like crazy when i have people riding with me (weight i guess). It does it while alone as well when going over bumps and stopping. I called D3 (brand of springs) and they said it's the shocks and to grease them up, which i did the back ones and i think it helped, but i couldn't get to the fronts without taking springs off... And it still squeaks..

Anyone else have this issue and how did you remedy it? Squeaks will make me get rid of a car quick... but i prefer to fix it if i can =).

JW

DoingOK
01-28-12, 11:29 PM
Read this....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-performance-mods/241485-how-fix-lowered-suspension-noise-squealing.html

Low Rider
01-29-12, 03:43 PM
I had problems with my Coupe squeaking in the front when I first lowered it. I jacked the front up far enough to get the front wheels off the ground and sprayed the spring insulators with WD40. This was over six months ago and It is still squeak free......Good luck with your ride.

Cub Cadet
01-29-12, 04:24 PM
This has been documented over and over and over again. For those that lowered their 2009-UP CTS-V, you MUST add another step to the instructions that the spring manufacturers left out. When lowering the CTS-V, the BUMP STOPS have to be trimmed down to accommodate the lowered ride height. If not, you will get the squeak, and then you will have blown up shocks. The trimmed bump stop on the shock itself is a MUST DO when lowering the car. There is no way around it and you have to do this regardless of what spring manufacturer that you use.

MrMaschine
01-29-12, 06:35 PM
I trimmed my bumpstop and removed the shock cap, no squeak for a while but it now sounds like my shocks are thumping on
low speed bumps. I think this contributed to cutting them and letting the suspension travel more and bottom out. i really dont know
i had drive the car for 30k miles then i cut the stops and at 34 now my shocks up front sound like they are shot.

anyone else have this?

by the way what is the feedback on the Eibach springs versus the D3? Cant find much out there in detailed reviews

baabootoo
01-29-12, 07:44 PM
I had my rear shocks replaced last year, and fronts replaced just the other day, due to leaking. They also replaced the front and rear anti-sway bar end links that were squeaking. It only happened maybe 15 F and colder.

Cub Cadet
01-30-12, 09:27 AM
I trimmed my bumpstop and removed the shock cap, no squeak for a while but it now sounds like my shocks are thumping on
low speed bumps. I think this contributed to cutting them and letting the suspension travel more and bottom out. i really dont know
i had drive the car for 30k miles then i cut the stops and at 34 now my shocks up front sound like they are shot.

anyone else have this?

by the way what is the feedback on the Eibach springs versus the D3? Cant find much out there in detailed reviews

I am betting that the shocks are wiped out if they have been hammered (no trimmed bump stop) for 30k miles.

Veho
01-30-12, 09:36 AM
I had hennessy lowering springs on mine but changed back to the factory springs because of the squeaking. The squeaking is 100% a spring problem if you have lowered your ride. I bought mine that way (lowered) but the dealership i bought mine from told me they would take care of any costs if I wanted to change back to factory springs. I drove the car for a week with that awful squeaking and took it to the dealership and now everything is fine (except another issue with the recaro seats). The only reason i got the dealership (not a GM dealership) to change mine was because I had them sign a document before I bought the car that stated that they need to change the springs if I dont like the lowered springs..

Cub Cadet
01-30-12, 02:26 PM
The squeaking was caused by not trimming the bump stops properly and also from the rubber cup item at the top. These need modified for the lowering springs to work properly and not squeak / destroy the shocks. If you have squeaking, then your shocks are getting ate up from the constant hammering they are taking. Those with cars that are/were lowered need to inspect their shocks for leaks on a regular basis.

jwall09
02-08-12, 10:48 PM
Well i took the car into the dealership and they tell me the front driver shock is causing the noise and needs replaced... And warranty wont cover because it's lowered... Bummer..

----------

The squeaking was caused by not trimming the bump stops properly and also from the rubber cup item at the top. These need modified for the lowering springs to work properly and not squeak / destroy the shocks. If you have squeaking, then your shocks are getting ate up from the constant hammering they are taking. Those with cars that are/were lowered need to inspect their shocks for leaks on a regular basis.

Cub - thanks for the replies... Are you saying you need to check shocks always if lowered or only if you don't do the bump stop trim, etc.

Cub Cadet
02-09-12, 08:38 AM
All of the above... these shocks are very finicky if you decide to lower.
If you lower the car, the BUMP STOP MUST BE TRIMMED! This will keep the shock from hammering itself and having pre-mature failure. I refuse to lower my car until someon comes out with a suitable, in-expensive replacement of springs AND shocks. I will not lower on the factory shocks... just too questionable at this point. I have watched so many people lower, then squeak, then have to give up their first born to put new shocks back in since they blew up.