: Considering a 2009 V - Questions

mojorisin
01-28-12, 05:43 PM
Hi all, I have an 08 M3 sedan and looking to move into something a bit larger. I've always wanted to buy American, the V is really the first car I've considered (looked at the old one but it wasnt really a competitor to bmw).

Anyway, drove a 09 yesteray and, liked it. Its so much different from the M3 I was suprised. Its VERY connected to the road, and a serious performance machine. The E90 M3 is a bit more "soft", more compliant suspension. The V's recaros are HARD seats, OMG! The M3 seats are just as supportive and sporty, but SO comfortable.

Anyways... its the engine sound that is a potential deal breaker. I was expecting "burbling american V*, and it sounds like a vacume cleaner - lol - just kidding :tisk: but what's up with the engine noise? I like the deep exhaust note on the V at startup (I have an eisenmann sport on my M3), I'm indifferent on the supercharger noise, but why no engine sound? The sound of the M3 intake / engine under hard acceleration is intoxicating (especially over 8000 rpm).

It seems the "trend" for AMG / M is to have incredible sounding intakes / exhausts - who not on the V?

So, are there things that can be done to get the engine to be a bit more exciting? Maybe an intake? I've read up on exhausts, so that one is pretty "easy".

Thoughts or opinions? I'm pumped to get an American Super Sedan :) what an animal

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 06:15 PM
An intake will get you more sound. Just put on an exhaust. The V is also very well insulated so what you hear outside id much louder than inside...

Trapspeed
01-28-12, 06:30 PM
what an animal

Enough said. You'll love it...trust me.

M5eater
01-28-12, 06:39 PM
An intake will get you more sound. Just put on an exhaust. The V is also very well insulated so what you hear outside id much louder than inside...

Air intake gets you more supercharger whine, but that's it really..

If you want burbling V8, pickup some axle backs- which unlike in E90 land, don't cost an arm and a leg. The corsa's which are very popular here, run ~ $1100 shipped.

If you want snarling and burbling V8, some headers and the corsa touring are considered just about perfect in respect to nasty loud but not ear bleeding.

and no, none of us like how quiet it is. I think they were trying to make it more 'Cadillac' in that respect and somewhere lost the idea of what this car was supposed to be.