: Tire Questions...

mojorisin
01-28-12, 12:00 AM
Checking out a few 09 V's.

1. Winter tires - are you guys in the north running 19" snow tires, or do you have a seperate set of winter wheels?

2. Summer tires - the PS2's are an outstanding tire, however very "firm" for a DD. Are there any good alternatives that still have good road feel and performance, however not quite as firm? Also - maybe a tire that will get more mileage out of them? On my M3 I"m only getting 20k or so, and would like to find a tire that gets more miles.

Thanks for the info.

cts-v ls6
01-28-12, 08:03 AM
I bought a used 2010 V2 11 months ago. The PS2 tires were crap and almost done at 11k miles. At 28k miles, the left front got a hole in the inside sidewall. The 3 others were tread bare. I replaced all 4 with USED Continentals Sport Contact 2's I bought off of the internet. Total cost including freight and mounting was under $500.

Today at 50k miles, the 2 rear Continental tires are bald. Surprisingly, the 2 front tires still look great! I could not find any used 285 35 19's for the back (other than runflats, and I'm not using those), so I bought (2) new Bridgestone Potenzas from Tirerack. I did not buy ZR rated tires because I'm not going to be driving 100 mph+.Those tires were received yesterday and I'm going to have them put on today.

I drive 1000 miles a week, and a new set of tires for that car run about $1700 + tax. Too expensive for me when they only last 25k miles or so. The car is a 6 sp manual and an absolute blast to drive.

Jack

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 04:09 PM
To not buy Z rated tires because you won't ever drive over 100 is foolish. Besides there are tires like the Hankook Evos that will run you under $1000 a set, installed, and are about 85% the tire the PS2 is.

baabootoo
01-28-12, 04:16 PM
The Continental DWs are great also. I show slight wear after a season, where as the same driving wore the PS2s away. I got all 4 under $1000 also. A search will get you more info than you want!

mojorisin
01-28-12, 04:50 PM
Ok, great news. I plan to put some miles on this car, and need to get some mileage out of the tires. Plus the PS2's are expensive. At the same time, the tires can make or break the feel of the car, so its an important decision!

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 06:07 PM
The Pilot Super Sports have a 30,000 mile warranty. Not prorated. They are supposed to do everything better than the PS2. For less...

RapidRob
01-28-12, 09:49 PM
^^^ - +1.

Still waiting for the PSS tires to come out in our oem sizes - supposed to happen sometime this year the last I heard, but who knows .... ?

Rob

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 10:02 PM
If you get some 20" wheels, you could get them now. Maybe I'll ditch my stock polished wheels for some 20" TSWs...

Cub Cadet
01-29-12, 12:17 PM
I ended up going with an *All Season* tire that performs the same - if not better - than the PS2's. These tires are Bridgestone Potenza 970AS tires are are wonderful in wet, dry, and most important snow / ice for Northeast Ohio. This was a VERY good investment for me and I wish I had done it sooner. Absolutely AWESOME!!!

HeavyH20
01-29-12, 12:42 PM
I have tried all season tires but they do not equal ultra high performance in the summer or winter tires in the snow. They are decent, but the application specific versions are hard to beat.

I have two sets of rims. Pirelli Sotto W240 winters on the stock rims, 255 front and 285 back, and they work great in snow, slush and rain. For summer duty, I use Continental Extreme DW on polished stockers and they are great in wet conditions, quiet and have good tread wear. They are also lighter and less harsh than the PS2 but that trade off means a little less turn-in response. A little extra PSI seems to help offset that quality. Still not a PS2 but very close. For weekend sprints down the quarter, I have polished coupe rears with drag radials. I have been very happy with the setup.

Cub Cadet
01-29-12, 12:49 PM
Going with the All Season tire did not hurt performance of the car... it actually helped in my case. The car is much more responsive with these tires (Bridgestone Potenza 970 AS) than it was with the PS2's. Honestly... I have pushed this car hard with both tires, and the Bridgestone All Season tire performed MUCH better than the Michelins did. This was very, very surprising to me as well.. I would have never thought that. Thus, this is why I was extremely happy with my purchase.

embassured
01-29-12, 03:12 PM
The debate of all-season vs summer vs winter (I believe) is very geographic dependent, in my opinion.

In the SouthEast/West - where ambient temps stay above 50 degrees, summer performance all the way.

In the NorthEast/West - where there's a fair amount of snowfall to consider, rotate between summer and winter.

I'm in the mid-west. In STL we get snow maybe 3 times a winter but the temps are sub 50 degrees 5 months out of the year. Dedicated winters (except when the snow is falling) will under perform a high-po all season but I do need some snow protection. Likewise, a summer tire will under-perform an all-season for 5 months. In this case, the all-season "jack of all trades - master of none" fits our weather pattern to a "T".

Regarding waiting for the PSS's to come out in stock sizes, I would think the Panamera fitment (the only size currently available, I think) would fit the V2 fine; i.e. 255/45/19 and 185/40/19. The rolling diameter appears to be about 2" greater, which has an added benefit of filling up the wheel well a bit better.

Good luck,
Eric

Cub Cadet
01-29-12, 04:20 PM
Regarding waiting for the PSS's to come out in stock sizes, I would think the Panamera fitment (the only size currently available, I think) would fit the V2 fine; i.e. 255/45/19 and 185/40/19. The rolling diameter appears to be about 2" greater, which has an added benefit of filling up the wheel well a bit better.
Eric

I would strongly recommend not going this route in size. Aside from the aesthetics, you will definitely have a rub issue with the front wheels when turning.

garfin
01-29-12, 04:31 PM
I bought a set of OEM 19" rims (painted) for winter and mounted the Pirelli Sottozeros on them in stock sizes. They're great!
I'm still on my original PS2s at 21,000 KM and there's tons of tread left. I should be able to get through the coming season with them no problem. So far, so good, but as soon as I sense a loss of wet traction they're gone.
Hopefully the PSS tires in sizing for our cars will be out a year from now, when I'll be looking to take off the Sottos after next winter... if they're not available, I'll replace the original PS2s with the same tire. I love 'em and they perform great on the track during lapping days. Many years ago, I tried a less expensive tire on my Camaro (same speed rating) than I had been running and after they got warmed up on the track after 10 min. they became very slippery and lost their grip. A great car, great track, great event with lots of seat time became very frustrating because the tires couldn't grip. I learned my lesson early and would rather not go through that again.
That being said, I'm sure there are some excellent tire choices out there for our cars that will provide excellent mileage while saving a good few dollars and nobody will notice any performance difference if the car is not being tracked.

Best regards,

Elie

thebigjimsho
01-29-12, 07:11 PM
Going with the All Season tire did not hurt performance of the car... it actually helped in my case. The car is much more responsive with these tires (Bridgestone Potenza 970 AS) than it was with the PS2's. Honestly... I have pushed this car hard with both tires, and the Bridgestone All Season tire performed MUCH better than the Michelins did. This was very, very surprising to me as well.. I would have never thought that. Thus, this is why I was extremely happy with my purchase.Maybe in the wet it feels more responsive. In the dry, I think you're just doing the same old mistake. Comparing worn, old tires to brand new ones. The 970AS won a comparison test against other all-seasons, including the Pilot Sport AS. But THAT all season tire's dry handling and performance beat the Bridgestone.

And the Pilot Sport A/S Plus can't hold a candle to the PS2. You're probably just spiteful because the tire doesn't look cool...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=147