: CPO warranty to the rescue (again)

MacMuse
01-26-12, 11:38 PM
So once again I am thankful for having my CPO warranty. And that it's the older, more comprehensive version of the warranty.

Picked up a CEL a few days ago, and my code reader said P0174. Car was certainly drivable but a little rough and underpowered. Set up the appointment at the dealer for two days later.

The next morning the driver door wouldn't latch. I finally had to manually trigger the latch manually in the door (and found a use for the key) and it resumed working.

I added the door issue to the list when I dropped off the car. As I am approaching the end of CPO with 92,500 miles, the service writer offered to do a full inspection and test drive to check for issues. The result?

- tests showed the MAF sensor was failing (cause of code) and was replaced.
- they replaced the driver door latch.
- replaced both motor mounts (2nd time for one of them).
- left front lower control arm replaced (noisy).

All covered under warranty. I kicked in for a fuel system cleaning since it's one of those 100,000 mile recommendations & new air filter. $2,000 in work, cost me $300. Sweet.

And she drove like a dream on the way home. Put the 2012 CTS loaner I drove for two days to shame.

Smiling Jack
01-26-12, 11:54 PM
So once again I am thankful for having my CPO warranty. And that it's the older, more comprehensive version of the warranty.

Picked up a CEL a few days ago, and my code reader said P0174. Car was certainly drivable but a little rough and underpowered. Set up the appointment at the dealer for two days later.

The next morning the driver door wouldn't latch. I finally had to manually trigger the latch manually in the door (and found a use for the key) and it resumed working.

I added the door issue to the list when I dropped off the car. As I am approaching the end of CPO with 92,500 miles, the service writer offered to do a full inspection and test drive to check for issues. The result?

- tests showed the MAF sensor was failing (cause of code) and was replaced.
- they replaced the driver door latch.
- replaced both motor mounts (2nd time for one of them).
- left front lower control arm replaced (noisy).

All covered under warranty. I kicked in for a fuel system cleaning since it's one of those 100,000 mile recommendations & new air filter. $2,000 in work, cost me $300. Sweet.

And she drove like a dream on the way home. Put the 2012 CTS loaner I drove for two days to shame.

Good deal !

As I've posted elsewhere, we had a similar opinion of the 2012 CTS we got recently as a loaner vs. our 2006 STS.

jaime51
01-27-12, 02:54 PM
I recently bought a 2005 STS this month and 2 days into having it my cel came on as well as the airbag light. Luckily I bought it from a caddy dealer and brought it back to them and they took care of the problems. The cel came on because of the mass air flow sensor as well. The car was woofing gas like crazy while the cel light was on. They changed some restraint sensor to fix the airbag light. The car drove incredibly smooth after picking it up. I am still noticing that I am getting horrible gas mileage though. By the way, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car, so I should be covered with any possible problems that may arise in the future.

chazglenn3
01-27-12, 07:42 PM
The horrible gas mileage is a result of the NorthStar and AWD...sorry.

maiahsdad
01-27-12, 10:58 PM
I keep getting the.hood ajar message. And something to do with tire monitor.

Smiling Jack
01-27-12, 11:27 PM
I keep getting the.hood ajar message. And something to do with tire monitor.

Dad,

Did you intend to post this reply to your "Which package" thread ?

chazglenn3
01-27-12, 11:51 PM
The hood ajar message is a known problem with the 2005 cars. Water gets in and screws up the electronics. You need to replace the hood latch...not a terrible job, but it takes some doing to get the cable on the new latch. The tire monitor message means one or more of those need to be replaced, too. The best deal on TPMS monitors in my area are at Discount Tire...about $60 each installed. I paid $90 for a hood latch assembly from a CHEVY dealer to avoid the Cadillac tax...the Caddy dealer quoted me $175. Any GM dealer can order parts for any GM car.

maiahsdad
01-28-12, 06:10 AM
Dad,

Did you intend to post this reply to your "Which package" thread ?Thanks, but no. I was typing this in the forum mobile app for IPhone, and my phone died.

But I was going to finish with: When I bought my car the other day (05 STS V8 1SG (I think)), the guy in the warranty department got really upset (cursing) at me for asking SO MANY QUESTIONS about the warranty they offer (www.warrantys.com (http://www.warrantys.com)). Thanks to you guys here, I wanted to asked the questions you in this forum thought would be important to have answers to.

So, I didn't get the warranty THEY were offering, but in light of the little things I'm experiencing, I'm wondering if I can still GET an extended warranty from somewhere now that I've purchased the car (last Monday)? And, it seems that it's probably hard as hades to find a good one that's not out to rip a hole in my wallet.

This guy said that the company gives me two claims per year, for three years. He also says that the Powertrain Only deal ($1000) is for unlimited mileage. But the Premium deal ($2400) was for 45K miles. So, more coverage, more money, more restrictions, less mileage.

So this was an extended warranty response. I don't know if I can get one now. And if so, how do I go about it now that I've left the dealership with the car.

Smiling Jack
01-28-12, 05:28 PM
.... I'm wondering if I can still GET an extended warranty from somewhere now that I've purchased the car (last Monday)? And, it seems that it's probably hard as hades to find a good one that's not out to rip a hole in my wallet.
So this was an extended warranty response. I don't know if I can get one now. And if so, how do I go about it now that I've left the dealership with the car.

You can definitely buy an extended warranty after you have purchased the car - from a Cadillac dealer, or from an independent repair shop or directly over the internet. Try Warranty Direct or WheelZ

Note: You will have an exclusionary period (typically 30 days) or at least an exclusion for conditions that existed at the time the extended warranty is purchased - or both. And this will be the case regardless of whether you purchase the coverage at the time of auto purchase or later.

And these policies are not cheap - particularly on Cadillacs.

By the way: did you ever verify that you have 1SG on the equipment list on your spare tire cover ? And did you verify that the VIN on that list is the same as the VIN on the dash plate and on the dirver's sid door jamb sticker.\?

maiahsdad
01-28-12, 09:38 PM
By the way: did you ever verify that you have 1SG on the equipment list on your spare tire cover ? And did you verify that the VIN on that list is the same as the VIN on the dash plate and on the dirver's sid door jamb sticker.\? yes, they all check out. I have all options except HUD.