: Navigation Radio Connectors

orange57
01-26-12, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know where I could get the connectors that will go in the back of the nav unit? I want the one that has the speed sensor so I can hook it up to the vss wire so the GPS doesn't always face east.

Thanks,

matt

jperry
01-26-12, 03:48 PM
A good parts guy at the dealership would know how to look them up for you. When I added nav to my truck a couple years ago, my local guy was able to find the part numbers for the connectors and pins and if I recall I don't think it was more than $10 - $12. You might try them first and save yourself a lot of hassle trying to locate them online.

tomm
01-26-12, 05:18 PM
Does anyone know where I could get the connectors that will go in the back of the nav unit? I want the one that has the speed sensor so I can hook it up to the vss wire so the GPS doesn't always face east.

Thanks,

matt

Did you also install the GPS antenna? Hooking up the VSS without a GPS will just move you all over the map but you will never be on the right road.

----------

If you just need a connector with the VSS wire I can make you one. Do you not have the brown connector at all?

orange57
01-26-12, 11:20 PM
Tomm,

I did install the GPS antenna. So I move on the map, but it is stuck facing east. I don't have the connector at all. I bought a lock pick, but just sold it last week to help pay off the transmission swap I had to do. Plus, I don't drive so far taht I really need access to all those things while driving. I just like having the full screen in the car.

ddalder
01-26-12, 11:40 PM
The connector information is quite easy for the dealership to find. The best place to start is with the service department. Where I'm from, the parts department doesn't have access to GM's 'SI' or 'Service Information' so this is the basis of my recommendation. They will need to look in the connector end views section. This guide will list the part number for the service replacement connector. With part number in hand, the parts department folks will be able to order one for you. You'll need the terminal and wire as well since these connectors don't come populated. The terminal part number will also be listed in 'SI' and will specifiy the tray number in GM's terminal service kit that it's located in. Crimping a wire to the terminal can be tricky without the correct tool but your service department should be able to help with this as well. The tolerances in connectos nowadays is very tight and without a good crimp, you might have trouble inserting the terminal into the connector body.

The problem in approaching many dealerships for this type of work is that they often can't envision what you're trying to do and therefore don't know how to help or how to use the resources they have at hand. I've had very good success with some dealerships because of relationships I've built with service and parts departments through work. The difference is that I generally do the research up front so when I go in, I already have part numbers and in the case of terminals, tray locations. Another factor is that many people will never pay a dealer what they need to charge to offer this type of service. Dealerships need to be paid for their time and with this type of work, most people will never pay the price.

Good luck with your endeavor.

tomm
01-27-12, 06:17 PM
Tomm,

I did install the GPS antenna. So I move on the map, but it is stuck facing east. I don't have the connector at all. I bought a lock pick, but just sold it last week to help pay off the transmission swap I had to do. Plus, I don't drive so far taht I really need access to all those things while driving. I just like having the full screen in the car.

So you just need the connector and one VSS wire? Send me a $5 paypal payment to paypal(at)bestradardetectors.net and I will get you one.

orange57
01-28-12, 01:07 AM
Yep, the connector and one VSS wire. Just sent the money :) Thanks again Tomm, much appreciated.