: Automatic Lights

maiahsdad
01-25-12, 09:51 PM
Just bought an 05 1SG. Noticed something that I think may be an issue.

Every now and then, while driving, the brights will automatically come on. And after a few seconds, they'll go back off. This is when I'm just allowing the automatic lights to operate. If I turn on the lights manually (panel says "automatic lights off", they won't go bright unless I click them on. Is this something that senses a dark road? Or is his a sensor problem?

ddalder
01-25-12, 10:18 PM
Read through your Owner's Manual starting at page 3-33 and see if this answers your question. If not, post more details about your specific circumstances.

maiahsdad
01-26-12, 08:53 PM
Read through your Owner's Manual starting at page 3-33 and see if this answers your question. If not, post more details about your specific circumstances.

Yep. That's what it is. Had to download a manual though. The lights sense darkness a d oncoming vehicles and turns on an off the brights.

Now, while I'm on lights, I have several bulbs out... I'm most concerned about the park light (pinlike lights) and side marker of the passenger side (the yellow light bottom-right of headlight on side of bumper), and side marker that's on the side of the car (about middle of car closer to door, rear of front fender well) ALL ON THE SAME SIDE! And the license plate bulb is out. A policeman let me know. And for the inside, I wonder if the gear shift positions light up, or if the info center display is all I have.

EChas3
01-26-12, 09:19 PM
Congratulations on your purchase of a 1SG, they're great. Since bulb replacement is in your future, you may want to do them all with the bumer cover off the car. While it is 'possible' using other procedures, you'll likely save time and trouble that way.

Good luck!

ddalder
01-26-12, 10:14 PM
Glad your headlamps are solved. The reason I recommended reading the manual first is for two reasons. First, I always encourage people to know their vehicle and this is one of the best ways to do this. The manual will offer insight to many features people sometimes don't realize they have. Secondly, the number of criteria that affect the operation of IntelliBeam would make describing it here somewhat of a long post.

My first thought when I hear about so many problems is a common point (for example all are tied to one ground that may be bad). I'm thinking this isn't the case here as lamps so far apart (physically) will not share a common ground point. Some of these are definitely part of different circuits. If you're going to be changing bulbs anyway, I also recommend doing all the bulbs in the headlamp assembly at the same time (with the exception of the HID's, if equipped). These are not too expensive and the effort involved in accessing these makes it well worth it.

There are different opinions on the forum about what bulbs to use. I have found several that look like a #194 (or a blue coloured #194) but are not. This isn't to say a #194 may not work, it just isn't what GM uses here. The one exception might be the licence plate lamp because I've never researched this bulb. I recommend going to your GM dealer and getting the right bulb for the application. I found they really weren't too expensive going this route (exception below). I can tell you that bulb replacement guides (even the Sylvania website) are not always correct. It took them years to stop listing a 9005 for the high beam bulb in my Bonneville GXP. In this case, it's actually an HIR-1 available through the dealer and a select number of other vendors. This is another reason I suggest sourcing some of these directly from GM.

As for your shifter illumination, YIKES is all I have to say. US wholesale on this item is about $22.00 per bulb, two are required. It is a small wedge base bulb with a blue jacket. I'm not sure what the justification for this cost is.

chazglenn3
01-26-12, 10:49 PM
Yeah, as mentioned above, the parking lamps are NOT 194 bulbs. I bought two Sylvania Silverstar 194 bulbs for my parking lights that were both burned out thinking that being Silverstars they would be bright white (they are blue tinted) however they look to be a very dull yellow color compared to the headlights (HID). The lights were both already burned out when I bought the car, so I've never seen what color the factory bulbs burn. I wish I would have just gone to the dealer and bought the correct W5W bulbs, as I understand they are close to the color of the headlights. I am in no hurry to take the front of the car apart again to replace them...I'll wait and maybe do it this summer.

maiahsdad
01-27-12, 05:55 AM
tYeah... that's what I was afraid of; the front bumper having to come off. I don't have the proper tools to do this work, nor do I have a garage (that's vacant...mine is full of stuff) to do the work in anyways. And I KNOW this'll be several hundred dollars to get fixed at the dealer. But it just REALLY kills me that I didn't think to check all the bulbs. And by it being a pretty sunny (although still wet) day, I really couldn't see easily any bulbs out. I'm really pissed.

Oh well, I guess I'll be dropping by the dealer this coming Monday. That's my next day off (no one's open on Sunday).

And, with ALL this stuff packed in the car, I don't understand WHY the HUD was not included in this one. Blows my mind. I thought all this was included with the 1SG.:rant2:

chazglenn3
01-27-12, 07:52 PM
With a 1SG car the only option that is available is adaptive cruise control with head-up display...the ultimate STS! I find that I rarely use the adaptive cruise control, so my next STS will just have to have the HUD...which was thankfully available as a stand alone option on the 2008+ STS-V...

maiahsdad
01-27-12, 08:51 PM
With a 1SG car the only option that is available is adaptive cruise control with head-up display...the ultimate STS! I find that I rarely use the adaptive cruise control, so my next STS will just have to have the HUD...which was thankfully available as a stand alone option on the 2008+ STS-V...

What the hell? I do t have the HUD! And yet this car has 1SG o. The spare tire cover! And Ur saying that HUD is the ONLY option for the 1SG? What the HELL did I just buy?

----------

What the hell? I do t have the HUD! And yet this car has 1SG o. The spare tire cover! And Ur saying that HUD is the ONLY option for the 1SG? What the HELL did I just buy?

I mean I do NOT have HUD. My CID control button has the AB trip counter, NOT the HUD symbol. And I SAT there at the damn dealership for 3 hours AFTER a 7 hour bus ride to get this damn car. And now ur saying the only option for the 1SG is the HUD? Thus I DIDN'T buy a 1SG? What THE HELL!

chazglenn3
01-27-12, 10:10 PM
No, what I am saying is that the only option that could be ordered to go with the 1SG package was the adaptive cruise control with HUD. You car was ordered as a 1SG but they did not order the ACC/HUD option. It literally has EVERY other option available except for the ACC/HUD. You should be happy :D

maiahsdad
01-27-12, 10:15 PM
No, what I am saying is that the only option that could be ordered to go with the 1SG package was the adaptive cruise control with HUD. You car was ordered as a 1SG but they did not order the ACC/HUD option. It literally has EVERY other option available except for the ACC/HUD. You should be happy :DOh, OK... I thought your post was indicating that the HUD was the only option available for the 1SG, making me feel like I didn't really have a 1SG unless it was optioned with the HUD... Whew, I was headed BACK to Cleveland.

You saved them a gun fight.

maiahsdad
01-30-12, 01:48 PM
At the dealer right now getting jobs replaced. Are both headlights HID (low and high)? They "look" the same. Having both park lights (small pen-like) and side marker lights replaced. And what about the dogs? I need to know while the bumper cover is off.

1BadCadSTS
01-30-12, 02:17 PM
My headlamps were BOTH replaced under warranty as well as my fathers 07 both had 194 from the factory in the little corner area of the headlamp both the original assembles with the bottome mounted square ballast and the newer style side mounted round ballast.

I put 194 "Cool Blue" LEDs in to replace the 194s,can be done with the fascia on but not easy. Also added small silica packets to prevent moisture. They dont dead match the HIDs but are much nicer than the yellow halogen bulbs...

http://i39.tinypic.com/zluuyu.png

chazglenn3
01-30-12, 06:05 PM
At the dealer right now getting jobs replaced. Are both headlights HID (low and high)? They "look" the same. Having both park lights (small pen-like) and side marker lights replaced. And what about the dogs? I need to know while the bumper cover is off.

Only the low beams are HID...the high beams and fog lights are halogens.

maiahsdad
01-30-12, 08:36 PM
Looks like someone else started another thread with same name. But hey spelled lights correctly.

MacMuse
01-30-12, 08:58 PM
Oh hey, I can fix that.

cadillacmike68
02-12-12, 04:36 PM

No no no. The Ultimate STS is a V8 platinum ed, which by GM policy must have had ALL the options, (except the engine block heater, of course!)

1BadCadSTS
02-12-12, 04:40 PM
Wrong. Platniums could not be ordered with the performance handling package which gave the STS. 6 lug wheels and brembo brakes with summer tires. Thus all options were not standard on it.

Also I know for a fact 07 plats did not have hud or acc. Not sure on 08+

chazglenn3
02-12-12, 09:42 PM
No no no. The Ultimate STS is a V8 platinum ed, which by GM policy must have had ALL the options, (except the engine block heater, of course!)

Well, we were the discussing 2005 STS...so I stand by my statement :D

EChas3
02-13-12, 10:34 PM
The Ultimate STS isn't neccesarily just one car.

To each their own!

cadillacmike68
02-23-12, 08:24 PM
l
Wrong. Platniums could not be ordered with the performance handling package which gave the STS. 6 lug wheels and brembo brakes with summer tires. Thus all options were not standard on it.

Also I know for a fact 07 plats did not have hud or acc. Not sure on 08+

I'm not sure on the 2008's but 2009s require the driver awareness package to be eligible for a platinum ed. And yes, while the summer performance package was mutually exclusive with the platinum package, you could still get the all season performance package (actually it was required) which gets you 18" AS performance tires & Chrome wheels. Plus when you bend a rim you don't have to hunt down a 6 bolt rim and your tires won't cost you $400 EACH when they wear out too fast ;-) They'll only cost about $250... each :-( !!!

1BadCadSTS
02-23-12, 09:08 PM
Doesnt have Brembos which were an option on non Plats thus again you cannot get EVERY option...

Id rather have better brakes than some extra stiching, i prefer the V series panels which is why I bought and installed them. Why pay for the Plat for the nicer panels when I'd swap them for Vs anyways.

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 01:19 AM
Doesnt have Brembos which were an option on non Plats thus again you cannot get EVERY option...

Id rather have better brakes than some extra stiching, i prefer the V series panels which is why I bought and installed them. Why pay for the Plat for the nicer panels when I'd swap them for Vs anyways.

My car does have 4 wheel performance disc brakes. RPO JE5. The front rotors are almost 50% thicker than a standard STS and the pads are larger, I checked. While they may not be brembos, they are quite sure footed, and the series 50 front 45 rear W rated tires are no slackers either. We'll see who has any $$ left over after replacing all 4 tires. And you WILL need to replace yours more often.

maiahsdad
06-03-12, 06:59 PM
Hello everyone, does anyone know of a way to have the park lights not come on automatically during the day? I saw another car like mine recently that did not have any lights on during the day as they were driving.

1BadCadSTS
06-03-12, 07:12 PM
Yea once started rotate the stalk to auto lights off.

ddalder
06-04-12, 12:53 AM
Hello everyone, does anyone know of a way to have the park lights not come on automatically during the day? I saw another car like mine recently that did not have any lights on during the day as they were driving.
Not sure what you are asking here. My park lights are never on during the day, only my daytime running lights, and only when not in Park. I always leave my control in "Auto". The only other time all the lights come on during the day (except if you specifically turn them on) is when your wiper control is in RainSense mode. Make sure your wiper control lever is off.

If you are talking about the daytime running lights, why would you not want these on?

ddgm
06-05-12, 04:46 PM

Maybe they were burned out :duck:

Doug

EChas3
06-05-12, 08:26 PM
This works but why bother?

Yea once started rotate the stalk to auto lights off.

1BadCadSTS
06-05-12, 08:47 PM
I do it to save the hids

In daylight with auto wipers on they stay on. Pretty stupid and all it does is shorten the life of the bulbs.

curtc
06-05-12, 09:18 PM
Yeah, and at $90+ each for OEM D1S bulbs I'll take all the life I can get...

-------

I too don't like the yellow DRLs, but unfortunately it's our front blinker too, and DOT says any front facing signal light has to be amber...I'm debating putting a clear bulb in there, it would blink somewhat amber (ish) and wouldn't make the front of the car look like a boiled egg during the day :)

EChas3
06-05-12, 09:45 PM
My car was built in July 2005 and has 76,000 miles and still has the original HID's. Why sweat it?

curtc
06-05-12, 10:05 PM
My car was built in July 2005 and has 76,000 miles and still has the original HID's. Why sweat it?

They do last a LONG time if you're not one of those "look at me!" types who drive around during the day with their HIDs on...

1BadCadSTS
06-05-12, 10:10 PM
Tell that to the DTS guys replacing their bulbs all the time. Common issue with bad bulbs and ballast with them and gen 1 lamps use same square ballast as them. If your lamps were replaced as mine were you had gen 2 round ones.

curtc
06-05-12, 10:34 PM
Don't know if bulbs/ballasts were ever replaced...but either way they work great...not so high on the high beam performance though...not sure if the lens has anything to do with it, seems my CTS's brights were much brighter, no lens, all bulb.

EChas3
06-05-12, 11:28 PM
Only the standard beams are HID. High beams are halogen.

curtc
06-06-12, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I know, It'd be stupid to have HIDs for highs as they take time to reach full brightness....I'm just not impressed with the performance of the halogen high beam compared to my CTS high beams.

Ludacrisvp
06-06-12, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I know, It'd be stupid to have HIDs for highs as they take time to reach full brightness....I'm just not impressed with the performance of the halogen high beam compared to my CTS high beams.
The CTS used a reflector in the highbeam that scatters light EVERYWHERE, while the STS uses projector high beams that project a more focused beam more in front of the car.
The STS has a lot of shields in the projector to restrict the light output to reduce light going where its not needed.
As you notice when they turn on there is no more light added to the foreground (where the low beams are doesn't get any brighter) if you are close to a wall it looks like this:
Just doing a single beam....

Low beam only cutoff dark above and bright below:

________________/---------------------

Highbeam only dark below the --- bright inside the | |:

| |
---------------------------------------

Highbeam and lowbeam overlap:

___|___________/-----------------|-----

or *similar* to the SRX highbeams like I posted here a while back:
Highs and lows (non-HID SRX)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5296/5518994276_84f590002e_b.jpg

Lows and fogs (non-HID SRX)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5518403601_575567aca4_b.jpg

maiahsdad
06-13-12, 10:39 AM
This works but why bother?

Sorry so late to respond. I want to save the bulbs.

maiahsdad
06-13-12, 10:40 AM
Maybe they were burned out :duck:

Doug

Then why would I ask how to TURN them off, if they were burned out? Uh... O.... K...

Ludacrisvp
06-13-12, 12:58 PM
I do it to save the hids

In daylight with auto wipers on they stay on. Pretty stupid and all it does is shorten the life of the bulbs.

In some states like Minnesota it is a law that if there is precipitation that you have your full headlights on while driving. So GM was nice and they decided to make that automatic for us.

ddgm
06-13-12, 05:25 PM
Then why would I ask how to TURN them off, if they were burned out? Uh... O.... K...

You stated you saw another car with no lights on. Uh...O.....K.....

maiahsdad
06-20-12, 05:58 AM
You stated you saw another car with no lights on. Uh...O.....K.....

With no daytime running park lights on... Read my post, and cut back on the dog food ur smokin.

1BadCadSTS
06-20-12, 08:43 AM
In some states like Minnesota it is a law that if there is precipitation that you have your full headlights on while driving. So GM was nice and they decided to make that automatic for us.

Doesn't matter if it's raining or not. If rain sense is on your headlamps are could be bright and sunny.

ddgm
06-20-12, 12:24 PM

I have read your post. I am going to write this slowly as I wonder if you can't read too fast. Maybe the daytime parking/running lights were burned out. They do burn out and given the trouble to replace them, maybe the owner didn't bother to fix them. You started this.

maiahsdad
06-25-12, 04:21 PM
I have read your post. I am going to write this slowly as I wonder if you can't read too fast. Maybe the daytime parking/running lights were burned out. They do burn out and given the trouble to replace them, maybe the owner didn't bother to fix them. You started this.

And I'm finding that you can't read. I asked if there was a way to have the automatic lights not come on during the day. Which is a DIRECT indication that they're ON and i don't WANT them on during the day if the headlights are not on. I wonder how EVERYONE else got that but YOU? A friend of mine in this forum told me I could control that by a switch on the signal light, as did a few other PMs. It's over. So I've finished it as well.

maiahsdad
06-25-12, 04:23 PM
Now, am I able to change the park lights out without removing the bumper? Signal light burned out this morning.

curtc
06-25-12, 04:30 PM
Yes, go through the wheel well. Turn the wheel all the way over, remove the liner and stick your arm in...

1BadCadSTS
06-25-12, 06:49 PM
I find it easier to jack it up pull the slash shield and go from the bottom.

curtc
06-25-12, 07:41 PM
I find it easier to jack it up pull the slash shield and go from the bottom.

That method would work as well...I still have to change out one of those little, corner parking lights in the headlight, time to learn how to remove the bumper myself :) Not paying $200+ to change a $2 bulb, not happening...

maiahsdad
06-26-12, 07:10 AM
Thanks gents. I'm a little pissed because I JUST had the dealer Change ALL the bulbs when I got the car back in January. WTH! And they want $60 to replace this one. Guess I'll price Auto Zone today. Hope the light will be the same color.

EChas3
06-30-12, 12:08 AM
Buy bulbs from GM if you want them to match, IMHO.

maiahsdad
06-30-12, 08:46 AM
Miraculously the light came back on. It's in my assumption that the connection was just loose. But it's working now as it did before. I have both daytime running park lights off. And two brand-new bulbs still in the package.

Now I only wish that I could program the car not to automatically turn on the automatic lights every time I start the car. I would like for them to be off until I choose to turn on the automatic lights. I'm trying to save those bulbs.

maiahsdad
06-30-12, 09:08 AM
I don't know that I can explain it, but the light is back on now. I can only assume that it was some kind of loose connection. Both automatic park lights are on as usual. Now if I can only figure out a way to have them to not come on until I want them to, rather having to turn them off after I start the car each time.

dkozloski
06-30-12, 04:09 PM
It sounds like your problems could all be cured with a good physic.

EChas3
06-30-12, 11:20 PM
Physic or psychic?

Physical science seems more your line. It certainly is mine.

Our philosophical opposition probably accepts the latter as just another valid belief system, worthy of respect (& more gov't funding).

Mrsanders3960
07-03-12, 04:43 PM
My 08 Platinum not have HUD or ACC...Additional does not have NAV and is V6 which makes me wonder if its really a platinum. Is there a way to check other than the badge on back?

dkozloski
07-03-12, 06:19 PM
My 08 Platinum not have HUD or ACC...Additional does not have NAV and is V6 which makes me wonder if its really a platinum. Is there a way to check other than the badge on back? The badge is all you need to fool the average dumber and that's what we're all after.

EChas3
07-03-12, 08:25 PM
Who stole Koz's ID?

Ludacrisvp
07-03-12, 11:56 PM
My 08 Platinum not have HUD or ACC...Additional does not have NAV and is V6 which makes me wonder if its really a platinum. Is there a way to check other than the badge on back?

I believe you should have RPO code W21 on the sticker under the spare tire cover to be a real Platinum edition.

KRSTS
07-04-12, 10:37 AM
2008 V6 w/o NAV. Most likely a 1SB. :crying2:

1BadCadSTS
07-04-12, 11:47 AM
If it doesn't have nav it's not a plat period

dkozloski
07-04-12, 05:06 PM
Posery strikes again.

Ludacrisvp
07-04-12, 06:09 PM
Hope you didn't pay platinum pricing on it.