: 05 sts with sevrice air bag in info center

vinndiesel
01-25-12, 07:31 PM
hey guys i have an 05 sts 4 with navi... and i got a message displayed ...service air bag.. is there any way to pull codes thru the dash...my scan tool says no codes found..its not reading the body codes...only ecm.any info would be a help.just dont want the air bag to deploy when im driving...thanks vinny

dkozloski
01-25-12, 07:42 PM
It takes a very advanced code reader to pull anything other than engine codes on these cars. You may be stuck with a trip to the dealer or a very well equipped independent shop. There is no way to pull codes through the DIC like you can on the old sidewinders.

EChas3
01-25-12, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't be concerned with one display. If it persists, I would would get to a dealer soon. Codes will prevent remote-start and you wouldn't want to do without airbag protection for any length of time.

ddalder
01-25-12, 10:49 PM
You don't need to be concerned so much with these deploying while driving as much as not deploying during a collision. I tend to be very careful with any of the safety systems because I don't want a failure when I may need them most.

dkozloski
01-26-12, 12:50 AM
My thoughts exactly.

caddyfat2
01-26-12, 08:41 AM
If your service air bag message went out then the system is fully operational.

Rustyfloorpan
01-26-12, 11:34 AM
I have a similar problem on my 05 STS. When the battery got low and needed replacing, all kinds of errors started going off. I live in CA, and it seems to be worse when the weather is really hot. I get the air bag light every other trip, the Theft Attempted light, the hood ajar light and most recently the check coolant level light. The dealer says that it throws these codes, but when they check (twice) there are no current errors and it must be a sensor problem. It wasn't that the air bag was bad, just that the code was triggered. They told me I wasn't in danger. I would love to know how to solve it...

dkozloski
01-26-12, 02:44 PM
An industrial electronics background tells me that something like a loose connection, a bad ground, or a bad filter is creating enough noise in the system to trigger errors. With luck, it will fail altogether so you can find it.

EChas3
01-26-12, 08:59 PM
As noted before, a failing battery can cause a wide variety of unpredictable issues. Reports of OEM batteries failing under warranty are common.

ddalder
01-26-12, 10:47 PM
I have a similar problem on my 05 STS. When the battery got low and needed replacing, all kinds of errors started going off. I live in CA, and it seems to be worse when the weather is really hot. I get the air bag light every other trip, the Theft Attempted light, the hood ajar light and most recently the check coolant level light. The dealer says that it throws these codes, but when they check (twice) there are no current errors and it must be a sensor problem. It wasn't that the air bag was bad, just that the code was triggered. They told me I wasn't in danger. I would love to know how to solve it...
I had errors/faults with numerous systems in the car when my battery started to fail (even though there was enough left to start the car in most situations). I have seen/heard of this as a common complaint in the STS when battery problems begin. I would recommend having your battery properly load tested and, if necessary, replaced. If the problems persist after this, then I would begin looking for other causes.

jaime51
01-27-12, 03:04 PM
I just got a 2005 STS and my service air bag light came on and Caddy replaced my inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module. This solved the problem for me.