: Auto trans for a driver that believes a car like this should only be a manual?

commander112
01-25-12, 07:50 PM
I formerly owned a 05 and 09 and am considering getting a new 12. I have only ever driven a manual trans car and am thinking about the convenience of the auto. The few autos that I have driven in manual mode I find to be painfully slow at making shifts either up or down and were less than smooth when making the change. I understand that there are aftermarket solutions for this condition in the V but how good are the fixes? I'd hate to buy another V and regret the transmission that I choose. So drivers that are used to manuals is the auto good enough? I don't want to hear from the auto guys that do not understand the thrill and control that comes from a manual and thinks that the auto is good enough, rather, I just want to here from the manual guys that are happy with the performance of the auto. I really must say that if I go with an auto car I will miss giving the car over to a valet and hearing "Caddy makes a manual transmission?"

BWhite58
01-25-12, 07:55 PM
Cadillac needs to dump the torque convertor automatic transmission before the auto can be decent .

commander112
01-25-12, 08:02 PM
Bwhite, did you drive the auto before stating this? Or are you just against torque converter transmissions?

King335i
01-25-12, 08:20 PM
Ok, I've only ever driven a stick on a Lotus Exige back in the 90's and a Chevy Love beater more recently where I worked, so my experience with manuals is brief and therefore I would take no offense if you choose not to take my advice on the matter at hand. Having said that, I don't know what people complain about with this auto trans. Is it DCT fast? No. Is it fast enough? Most certainly. I used to have a G35 coupe with the Tiptronic transmission, the difference between that auto and the auto in the V is day and night. My V never refuses to shift like the Tiptronic did, it lets me rev all the way to redline, downshifts are rev-matched and are almost never jerky, upshifts are quick and smooth. I thought to myself after driving this car, that if people think this transmission shifts slowly or is inadequate, I can't imagine how blissful it must be to drive the GT-R or DCT M3-- the V's auto trans is super solid.

I wish you luck and I look forward to hearing whatever you decide on.

Rockey
01-25-12, 08:23 PM
If you like the control that you have with a manual then I seriously doubt you will be happy with the automatic, even with manual mode. The control you have over instantly selecting what ever gear you want and controlling how you let the clutch out cannot be duplicated with the A6. I miss the control I had with my manual mustang versus the A6 V2 I have now but I expected that and dont mind the tradeoff for the ease of using an auto.

There are some things that are some quirks about the A6 that can be worked with a TCM tune, Im sure there are many others on here that can go into detail about that. I can only share what I experienced before and after a tune.

-Full throttle acceleration was never a real problem before the tune and now is even better after the tune.

-Downshifts are much quicker now and full throttle downshifts on the highway will snap your head to the back of the seat right now. Makes me wonder how long the tranny will last. I know your not supposed to and it is recommended to manually place the tranny in a selected gear and take off, but the throttle response is just not there for me.

-Building on the last point throttle response was very sluggish in stock mode and better after the tune but not up to what I expect from a 6.2 liter motor. Im talking throttle response. Tipping into the throttle while locked in a gear. I want the car to practically jump when I give anything more than a tap on the gas pedal. I have heard that the manual is better here and I would love to test drive one to see the difference. Maybe part of the problem is that the motor has to build boost first and that is why throttle response is not so great. If that is true than the M6 shoudl also have sluggish throttle response. It just seems like sometimes my A6 it has it and other times it doesn't.

- The torque converter is just downright weird to me. I hate giving it part throttle in auto mode and have it downshift and let the torque converter slip and meanwhile the supercharger is whistling the revs are building and there is lots of noise but not much acceleration until it locks back up. I like feeling motor torque and wonder if the tranny can be tuned so that under part throttle downshifts if it can lock up quicker so I can feel the acceleration without all the noise and slip fro the TC.

-Why the hell was the A6 TC designed to slip and lock under deceleration???????? Why? Very annoying and jerky for a smooth ass ride that the V2 offers. Hasnt been improved after the tune but Jessee has said its no problem to take care of. I just havent had time to get with him for an update, my fault.

- Shift times are much quicker after the tune. The 2-3 shift in manual mode is still jerky at higher rpms.

Test drive both a lot before you decide.

Trapspeed
01-25-12, 08:37 PM
Having logged tens of thousands of miles on a manual I can say you will find the stock manual mode of the automatic lacking.

BWhite58
01-25-12, 09:18 PM
Bwhite, did you drive the auto before stating this? Or are you just against torque converter transmissions?

Yes and I have driven a E63 AMG with the 7 speed auto with dual disc wet clutch . This is how I compare the two .

Fireverm
01-25-12, 09:57 PM
You already know the answer to this question. Stick with the manual.

Gary Wells
01-25-12, 09:59 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1:) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
Remote start feature
Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

nynd
01-25-12, 10:46 PM
I've had an 09 Auto V and now have an 11 Manual. Two different animals altogether but the manual is definitely the way to go if you like full control over the car. You feel more connected with the car.

needspeed
01-25-12, 11:12 PM
I bought mine to be a DD with some kick ass when I want it. So the auto fits my needs though a DSG would make it perfect. I really think it is up to you on how you want to use the car and what else you have to drive. Either way the V is a great car......Steve

CTSVCB
01-25-12, 11:42 PM
I have a 2012 auto Wagon and the auto does lag on shifts when using it in manual mode. I haven't logged enough miles in it yet to have a whole lot to say about it, but I would imagine that you would be much happier getting a manual. My previous car was a 2010 supercharged Camaro with 650HP and a M6. Much more control with the manual, but I do love the auto trans for the convenience of not having to clutch on each gear and just being able to mash the peddle when I want to go. I'm sure when I hit the track I will miss the manual a lot.

TheSpungos
01-26-12, 12:27 AM
This is the first 2-pedal car I've owned in more than a decade, and I can tell you - don't do it. You will not be happy with the auto. It is very convenient in rush hour traffic, no doubt. But it's not worth what you lose in terms of being engaged in driving the car. At first I thought I would get used to it, then I thought it was just the different feeling of this car versus my last 2 cars (both BMWs w/manuals). Then I test drove a manual V and it feels like a completely different car. It's much more engaging and more fun to drive, and I think the manual fits the spirit of the car better.

Getting the auto is my only regret with the V so far, and would probably be the only reason I would get rid of it.

Xaqtly
01-26-12, 02:31 AM
There are three reasons I'm buying a V wagon:

1. 556 HP
2. Wagon
3. Manual transmission.

I care not for autos. I've driven two CTS-Vs with the auto transmission and I was not impressed. I've driven manuals most of my life, I have some decent track experience, there is nothing about an automatic tranny that is appealing to me. I wouldn't be buying the V wagon if I couldn't get it with a manual. I'll be driving manuals until they don't exist any more, or my left leg falls off or something.

FLTRI
01-26-12, 04:29 AM
72 Corvette - Manual - Sold
1991 ZR-1 Corvette - Manual - Sold
1996 LT4 Convertible Collector Corvette - Manual- Parked next to the V
Many motorcycles, all manual, of course
Plenty of racing experience and schools

No regrets with the Auto V. It's faster 0-60, 1/4 mile and the Nurbrugring record was set in an auto car.

Less engaging? Not for me. Less connected? Well, maybe. Trade for the same car with a stick? Nope. Been there, done that. I'm very happy with my "slush-box"...

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-26-12, 07:47 AM
---enjoy the control and response of a manual but begin to tire of total dependence on a clutch and shifting.... it's hard to have both but the A6 is a very good attempt and compromise.

M5eater
01-26-12, 08:42 AM
If you like the control that you have with a manual then I seriously doubt you will be happy with the automatic, even with manual mode. The control you have over instantly selecting what ever gear you want and controlling how you let the clutch out cannot be duplicated with the A6. I miss the control I had with my manual mustang versus the A6 V2 I have now but I expected that and dont mind the tradeoff for the ease of using an auto.

This sums a lot of it up. There's no comparison as far as gear selection goes if you're hoping the A6 can manual shift decently. What it does best is straight line acceleration and that's about it. The sport mode will let you play around on wide, open courses and back roads, but for tight exit/entry (like in an autocross course) it's lacking, which isn't necessarly a bad thing, because you don't toss around a 4300lb car anyway.

it's a very very good torque converter auto, but it's no DSG or DCT, and it's no manual. Do I regret my decision? No. Do I wish we had something better? Yes. Did I come from a six speed S4 and hop into a 6L80E G8 without much regret? YES.

What I would do, is find one (they're everywhere) and decide for yourself. GM's slushboxes are the best in the business (BMW uses them..) but they're still slushboxes.

commander112
01-26-12, 08:53 AM
Thanks everyone. The comments confirmed my theory that even though the auto is very good it is what it is and I will only be happy in another manual transmission car. Now to decide whether to pull the trigger again. The been there, done that factor of owning another V is rolling around in my head when that sweet ZL1 convertible is right around the corner. On the other hand a Chevy is no Caddy.

smitdog
01-26-12, 11:42 AM
Only reason I ever crossed over was city driving. Turns awesome manual driving into a step workout. If you're driving in the country and your body allows, stick to the manual. The V shifter paddle "buttons" work way faster than those of my former GTI, which shifted super fast in auto. V auto works great, allows you to really hold on when the pedal drops!!! Good times. BTW, some reviews say the American clutch is hyper heavy...wouldn't know.

V locity
01-26-12, 12:09 PM
I have a 2011 A6 and love evrything about it. It is my understanding that it was changed, for the better, in 2011. That being said, I have ALWAYS raced automatics. For me, I am comfortable and have adapted my driving style to them, hence the preference. I can't count how many races I have won because the other guy mis-shifted his manual at some point during the race. Hell, the GM engineer who holds the record in Germany chose the A6...

The A6 in mine is a blast. Left to it's own, when everything is in Sport mode, it is still giving me surprises on how it shifts or holds gears, depending on what it thinks I'm doing (it's very biddable). In manual mode, it has been very compliant with everything I've asked it to do.

I understand those who prefere the manuals too. No different than how I prefer an automatic... But then, I was told I was bottle fed...

M5eater
01-26-12, 12:13 PM
Hell, the GM engineer who holds the record in Germany chose the A6...
the official word is they didn't have a manual available at the start and he was most comfortable with it. He didn't exactly 'choose'. It's my thinking the manual still wasen't significantly faster, otherwise I can't imagine they wouldn't have re-run it now with the F10 4 seconds faster.

V locity
01-26-12, 12:53 PM
the official word is they didn't have a manual available at the start and he was most comfortable with it. He didn't exactly 'choose'. It's my thinking the manual still wasen't significantly faster, otherwise I can't imagine they wouldn't have re-run it now with the F10 4 seconds faster.

Race Legend John Heinricy Talks about the CTS-V Record Breaking Lap at Nurburgring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAgzH35CiKQ&feature=relmfu)

Straight from John...

Houdini
01-26-12, 01:45 PM
Was the F10 time officially claimed by BMW? Also, was it even in production form down to the tires?

Fireverm
01-26-12, 04:46 PM
..... BTW, some reviews say the American clutch is hyper heavy...wouldn't know.

Hardly. It is super light IMO and I wish it were heavier. It will be addressed with an aftermarket clutch once the stock one needs replacing.

smackdownCTSV
01-26-12, 05:30 PM
Auto +1! If you don't daily drive it, or don't hit traffic, or don't go to the 1/4 mile track - then yes, go with a Manual.

And we all know the Performance mode in the transmission is quicker than Auto. Had John used Perf. Mode, that could account for a few seconds over the course of the track. Even at the V Perf. Labs, they put it in Perf. Mode.

M5eater
01-26-12, 06:08 PM
Auto +1! If you don't daily drive it, or don't hit traffic, or don't go to the 1/4 mile track - then yes, go with a Manual.

And we all know the Performance mode in the transmission is quicker than Auto. Had John used Perf. Mode, that could account for a few seconds over the course of the track. Even at the V Perf. Labs, they put it in Perf. Mode.

he did use sport shifting mode... 1-1:30 of the above video is where he discusses that they used an auto in sport mode, to avoid mistakes, and also because he was confident enough that the program would have him in the right gear anyway.

Ste_V_e
01-26-12, 06:41 PM
I noticed in my v, When I have it in sport trans mode and brake and what not it doesnt downshift during braking like my c63 in sport mode. What am I doing wrong? If i braked lightly before a turn in my c63 it would downshift in sport mode, but I can't get it to downshift during braking in the v. Do I have to brake really hard or does it downshift only with throttle input?

V locity
01-26-12, 10:49 PM
I noticed in my v, When I have it in sport trans mode and brake and what not it doesnt downshift during braking like my c63 in sport mode. What am I doing wrong? If i braked lightly before a turn in my c63 it would downshift in sport mode, but I can't get it to downshift during braking in the v. Do I have to brake really hard or does it downshift only with throttle input?

What year is yours?

Ste_V_e
01-26-12, 10:54 PM

V locity
01-26-12, 10:59 PM
Do you have both the tranny & suspension in sport at the same time?

Ste_V_e
01-26-12, 11:22 PM
Yeah usually I'm always in sport with traction off or comp mode.

V locity
01-26-12, 11:36 PM
Hmmm... Mine treats me well when I have the two in sport but leave the TC alone? Maybe you just need to paddle down when you like to?

neuronbob
01-27-12, 06:39 AM
If I had a wife who drove manuals, I'd have a manual V. Wife must be able to drive if we are on a long out of town trip and there's an emergency. The end. :(

That said, she has never sat in the driver's seat of my V in the three years I've owned it, so I might as well have bought a manual.

Commander, those who are only happy with manuals will be disappointed with the A6. I drive a lot of autos and find the V's A6 better than most, though.

Razorecko
01-27-12, 09:37 AM
If you want to thrill your passenger get the auto. If you want to scare the sh*t out of your passenger get the manual =)

thebigjimsho
01-27-12, 05:06 PM
I love this thread.

As for anyone saying you need an auto for traffic, they are mentally weak. First, the clutch is light and the V chugs along at idle just fine. Second, the amount of input from your right foot will always trump the left.

Oh no, if I drive a manual I'll have to lift BOTH my right and left feet? :ohnoes:

M5eater
01-27-12, 07:53 PM
I love this thread.

As for anyone saying you need an auto for traffic, they are mentally weak. First, the clutch is light and the V chugs along at idle just fine. Second, the amount of input from your right foot will always trump the left.

Oh no, if I drive a manual I'll have to lift BOTH my right and left feet? :ohnoes:
sometimes in traffic, on hills in stop and go at the mid-town tunnel, I hated the S4's sick after work. Those ocassions however were rare, all the other times it made up for it.

The other thing people aern't saying is there's something about a stick that makes you have more fun driving, while an auto encourages sedate driving. That might be good for my driving record (god knows I need all the help I can get) but I definitely hade more 'fun' more often in the S4. Or maybe it's because it had half the power and was AWD so it cost less money to floor it from a stop.

SecretWeapon
01-27-12, 08:00 PM
Get the manual. Old age will come soon enough.

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 12:01 AM
especially with the V's soopa wide torque curve, one needs to do minimal shifting anyway...

FLTRI
01-28-12, 04:11 AM
If you want a slower car 0-60, get the stick.
If you want to run the quarter mile slower, get the stick.
If you think you are a smarter and faster shifter than a computer, get the stick.
If you want your car to force you into 4th from 1st, get the stick.
If you care about gas mileage in a 556 HP car, get the stick.
If you drive better one handed, get the stick.
If you regularly drive between 175 & 191 MPH, get the stick.
If it's important to you to impress the kid at valet, get the stick.
If you think you have the skills required to beat John around the Nurgurgring, get the stick.
If you only bought your car for future collector value, get the stick.

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 05:06 PM
Get the stick!

BWhite58
01-28-12, 06:42 PM
The Auto is quicker than the manual even with the no lift function ?

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 07:13 PM
It's all in the launch. From there, there's no difference. And you won't look brain-dead like in an auto. Most of the time...

M5eater
01-28-12, 07:34 PM
It's all in the launch. From there, there's no difference. And you won't look brain-dead like in an auto. Most of the time...
Brain dead is pretty nice when you can make perfect shifts first time every time.

thebigjimsho
01-28-12, 09:30 PM
Now, now. Let's not be elitist robots...

V locity
01-28-12, 11:23 PM
I don't know why... but this thread reminds me when I was at the Houston Auto Show & they revealed the new Camaro. There was a hot chick with long blonde hair & 4" heals up on the turn table doing the announcing and lecture on the new car. I asked her some kind of question like "Is there going to be automatics & standard transmission?" She proceeded to correct my grammar (which BTW is not hard to do) and "educate me" first on the difference between the terms (Standard & Manual). Then she proceeded to give me a history lesson on the Standard Transmission (a manual) and the upgrade transmission (the Auto).

I only wish I wasn't married at the time. I would have really enjoyed asking out after the show for a drink & diving in "deeper" with her on the subject matter of manuals & automatics... Proper grip of the shifters... Long throw vs. short throw... Good Hand positioning... and really explore which is more fun. I like girls who want to educate me!

M5eater
01-29-12, 12:08 AM
Now, now. Let's not be elitist robots...

lol, but I wana!!!

Razorecko
01-29-12, 09:18 AM
lol, the auto vs manual debate is as old as time. It's very simple, if you like to go as fast as possible with prediction get the auto. If you're more into enjoying the 'drive' and interested in instant control you get the stick. I got mine in stick because I drive on the highway alot and because it keeps me from getting bored/tire/sleepy

Ste_V_e
01-29-12, 03:16 PM
I agree with some of what you say, but "If you're more into enjoying the 'drive' and interested in instant control you get the stick" I've had many stick most recent a 2012 GT500 and I definitely enjoy driving my auto v. The back twisty roads I take my car on i feel I have great control with the auto.

V locity
01-29-12, 05:25 PM
Hey... yoo want Mustard... or Mayo wit dat?

MrMaschine
01-29-12, 07:32 PM
Its funny how there is such a small percentage of 6 speed V's out in the market or in production. The old V1 was only a manual and this time around I guess GM felt it would open up more sales with the auto, it sure worked.

I havent even come across a manual online or at a dealer in the few years this car has been out. I regret not getting the manual
granted the auto is smooth cruising but the shift delays and the abruptness from the torque convertor really make it annoying to
use manual mode thats just my opinion. I NEVER use the buttons to shift it just feels unatural.

I am dying to test drive a V2 in a manual to see how it feels.

Any of you manual guys, do you feel the car to be as smooth as the auto at super high speeds? Any noises, vibrations with the
stick?

thebigjimsho
01-29-12, 08:23 PM
Nope, nothing. My manual V feels ultra-smooth all the time...

----------

In fact, on multiple occasions, I've had people in my car, on a trip, then get out and look at the shifter and ask if it's a manual, in disbelief. Part of that is my vast experience with driving manuals and smoothness, but it's so easy to drive smoothly...

V locity
01-29-12, 09:37 PM
(Suum Cuique)...

Razorecko
01-29-12, 09:54 PM
yep. My manual is as smooth as butter.

Club Malibu
01-30-12, 12:16 AM
Smoother than ex-lax.

JFJr
01-30-12, 11:15 AM
Slicker'n owl snot.

Xaqtly
01-30-12, 03:23 PM
Ew. Yeah in my searching for a car I came across literally dozens of CTS-Vs at each dealership I checked, every single one of them an auto. I bought my manual V wagon from a dealership across the country (having it shipped to me), having never driven a manual V before. But I am familiar with the TR6060 6-speed, my girlfriend's 2008 Vette has one and I drive that car all the time. It's a great manual transmission so I'm not worried.

thebigjimsho
01-30-12, 03:38 PM
And, if anything, it's smoother than in the Vette...

Fireverm
01-30-12, 04:14 PM
Ew. Yeah in my searching for a car I came across literally dozens of CTS-Vs at each dealership I checked, every single one of them an auto. I bought my manual V wagon from a dealership across the country (having it shipped to me), having never driven a manual V before. But I am familiar with the TR6060 6-speed, my girlfriend's 2008 Vette has one and I drive that car all the time. It's a great manual transmission so I'm not worried.

Had to do the same minus the girlfriend with the Vette.

Club Malibu
01-30-12, 06:22 PM
my girlfriend's 2008 Vette has one and I drive that car all the time.

Please tell us about your most awesome girlfriend who drives a manual Vette.

Xaqtly
01-30-12, 06:36 PM
Please tell us about your most awesome girlfriend who drives a manual Vette.

Haha. Well she's always loved Vettes, she wants to eventually own two cars; a current gen ZR1 and a 1967 Stingray. We both prefer manual transmissions, and she's in her '08 Vette as a stepping stone to a Z06, then eventually a ZR1. But she loves it, and it has straight pipes so it makes good noises too. Recently we both did the 3 day driving school at Ron Fellows Performance Driving School which, conveniently, uses all Corvettes. Grand Sports, Z06s and ZR1s. It was awesome, and she loved it. This is her:

http://xaqtly.com/z06.jpg

And this is me:

http://xaqtly.com/zakz06.jpg

Sorry for the thread derailment, please continue.

Crystal Red CTS-V
01-30-12, 07:48 PM
Great story! Love my 6 speed in my '11 Z06 and my auto in the CTS-V.

Club Malibu
01-30-12, 10:25 PM
Haha. Well she's always loved Vettes, she wants to eventually own two cars; a current gen ZR1 and a 1967 Stingray.

Awesome!! Thanks.

thebigjimsho
02-01-12, 03:36 PM
Haha. Well she's always loved Vettes, she wants to eventually own two cars; a current gen ZR1 and a 1967 Stingray. We both prefer manual transmissions, and she's in her '08 Vette as a stepping stone to a Z06, then eventually a ZR1. But she loves it, and it has straight pipes so it makes good noises too. Recently we both did the 3 day driving school at Ron Fellows Performance Driving School which, conveniently, uses all Corvettes. Grand Sports, Z06s and ZR1s. It was awesome, and she loved it. This is her:

And this is me:

Sorry for the thread derailment, please continue.Need MOAR pics!

M5eater
02-01-12, 10:19 PM

And this is me:

Sorry for the thread derailment, please continue.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sgQR1h88Auo/TVl31HfYmDI/AAAAAAAAAIs/Czc5AhuRXp8/s1600/MOAR.jpg

Xaqtly
02-02-12, 01:23 PM
Okay, okay! Just... just tell the cat to stop yelling at me. I don't have any more of the (several hundred) pics online but I'll get some more up and post them, probably this weekend. :D

thebigjimsho
02-02-12, 05:45 PM
Significant other in driver suit, please!

Xaqtly
02-05-12, 02:38 PM
She wasn't wearing a driver suit, just normal clothes and a helmet. But I put some pics up of the two of us driving various Vettes around the track.

http://www.xaqtly.com/ronfellows