: Reaction to driving a V for the 1st time

Thunder Gray STS
01-24-12, 10:35 PM
I was just wondering if everyone you've let drive your V for the first time has the same reaction? Everyone, without exception, I've let drive my V - first has this wide eyed look (almost terrified) then giggles like a school girl once they get on it. I find it as entertaining as driving the car myself.

SpartanCTSV
01-24-12, 11:08 PM
Haha, That's funny, but I don't let anyone besides myself drive my V. I did that with my S4. First time I let my brother-in-law drive my S4, he wrapped it around a tree. I learned my lesson.

Thunder Gray STS
01-24-12, 11:14 PM
Ouch

SpartanCTSV
01-24-12, 11:19 PM
Yeah, 1500 miles on a B8 S4, and then $7500 dollars in repairs.

SoCalCTSV
01-25-12, 12:27 AM
I let the sales manager at Bob Smith BMW drive mine. He said it beats the pants off anything on his lot in style and performance.

supratovcoupe
01-25-12, 01:18 AM
Not V related but but very funny. When I take folks for a ride in my
Single turbo MKIV Supra they start looking for things to hold on to.
Screaming holy Sh*t.
Mark B.

Ste_V_e
01-25-12, 02:29 AM
Wow how do you wrap a quattro awd around a tree. There must of been some crazy driving involved?

FLTRI
01-25-12, 04:39 AM
Also sort of unrelated, but I took my neighbor for a ride in my old 1991 ZR-1 one afternoon right after I put 5-points in it. Took him out to my favorite 'test road' and opened it up. Scared the crap out of him about the time we topped 150...

Asked him if he wanted to go for a ride in the V when I got it, after telling him it was faster than the Corvette. He chuckled and said, "No thanks. Once was enough"...

M5eater
01-25-12, 07:35 AM
Wow how do you wrap a quattro awd around a tree. There must of been some crazy driving involved?
Quattro is pretty rear biased these days, but it's not something like an EVO or STi's system anyway.

smitdog
01-25-12, 12:30 PM
I really freaked out when my V arrived and I drove it home. Talking to myself the entire drive, "This is a lot of car"....."Too much car"....."Holy S#!%!"....but I'm over all that now, just enjoying one of America's best! Not sure on letting anyone else drive...my dirty little sectet.85550 When the kids go to college, a Corvette.

neuronbob
01-25-12, 12:44 PM
No one drives my car but me. The only exception is the service guy at the dealer when I bring the car in, and I watch while he touches it.

I had a similar reaction to Smitdog when I first drove my V home from Michigan. I remember when I was on the Ohio Turnpike, I was driving 65 and pulled out to pass a car in front of me. I put what I thought was a reasonable amount of pressure on the accelerator. When I next looked down at the speedometer, it indicated 105 mph. I almost crapped my pants....then I gently applied the brakes.

Good thing there were no troopers around when I did that, or I'd be in jail for felony speeding.

I cant't drive my father-in-law in the car. He doesn't understand the concept of "sports car" and even with the transmission in Tour mode, he keeps telling me to slow down....when I've only accelerated to the speed limit on the freeway. No matter how much I explain to him that you are supposed to hear some exhaust noise in a sports car, he doesn't get it. When he needs a ride, I have the wife drive him in her mommymobile, or I drive the wife's car.

Squirlz
01-25-12, 02:41 PM
My wife drives it but I don't think she's really gotten on it yet. She laughs out loud when I do. She did say it shifts nicer than her MINI with a short shifter.

Mystical_Ice
01-25-12, 03:32 PM
I let my wife drive to san antonio a few months ago, with me in the passenger seat.

With her hands in the 10-2 on the steering wheel, and never going more than 68mph, she told me "it drives just like my car" (ford fusion).

I told her every car is going to drive the same if you just keep it at 65... she has no concept of pressing the accelerator

FLYING V
01-25-12, 06:36 PM
I haven't let anyone drive mine yet. I've offered to let my wife take it, but she doesn't want to. Everyone I give a ride to doesn't let out much of a reaction either...including my kids. So I'm making it faster :)

TTuned
01-25-12, 07:04 PM
My first impressions were that the auto trans is unpredictable downshifting when I dont want it to making it possibly dangerous. Did some testing, and its not as scary as I thought. Retune fixed the funky wonky trans, and pulled out some extra hp.

I expected to loose it in a ditch by smashing the gas at 65mph, comp mode. Its fast, but i dont think there is enough power there for that. Maybe its the 295's and the car hooks up, since i have nothing to compare it to side by side pulls. Also found out with traction on, it doesnt interfere like the euro cars, it works in the background to keep moving forward. What I mean is in the bmw and merc's it kills engine power, its in your face interference, trac lights blink, and it feels like you broke something for a second, engine just goes numb if you get crazy.

My turbo 335i, no lsd, trac off, race gas map 7 ~16psi, 265/25/19 scares me sometimes. That was good for eight consistent 109mph passes in a row that night. Maybe its the kick of the turbos that give perception? not sure.

The V should be much quicker even 1,000lbs heavier. Or maybe a 10sec car is what will scare me.

cdog533
01-25-12, 07:25 PM
I don't know anyone else that can drive a stick, so I haven't had any other drivers.

But I think taking a minivan-driving soccer dad and giving him the keys is a mistake. If the guy hasn't had fast car experience, he might do something bad.

Trapspeed
01-25-12, 08:43 PM
I haven't let anyone drive mine yet. I've offered to let my wife take it, but she doesn't want to.

Isn't great when your wife is afraid to drive your car!? I look like a hero when I offer and I get no heat when she declines!

RVC
01-25-12, 08:46 PM
Not V related but but very funny. When I take folks for a ride in my
Single turbo MKIV Supra they start looking for things to hold on to.
Screaming holy Sh*t.
Mark B.

Ha ha I get that in my 64' Chevy.....they start frantically grabbing for the roll cage....9.83 is my best 1/4 mi ET.

FLYING V
01-26-12, 02:06 AM
Lol, yeah, but I feel kind of bad sometimes. I'm sure she'll take me up on it one day.

Isn't great when your wife is afraid to drive your car!? I look like a hero when I offer and I get no heat when she declines!

thebigjimsho
01-27-12, 04:55 PM
Also sort of unrelated, but I took my neighbor for a ride in my old 1991 ZR-1 one afternoon right after I put 5-points in it. Took him out to my favorite 'test road' and opened it up. Scared the crap out of him about the time we topped 150...

Asked him if he wanted to go for a ride in the V when I got it, after telling him it was faster than the Corvette. He chuckled and said, "No thanks. Once was enough"...

Man, I wonder what the guys thought of 145 in my '92 SHO...

----------

My mother used to borrow my 440hp V1 when she got bored of her Legacy. I had to do some convincing of my 630hp V2, but she loves that, too. She always comments on the looks she gets. She turns 65 next month...

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-28-12, 08:00 AM
I bought an '09 CTS-V as a daily driver, replacing an '05 Audi S4. I also have an '09 Nissan GT-R as my weekend/drive to work on a nice day car, so some people had told me before that with a daily driver, I should get something that is not going to compare with the GT-R in any way. For everyday driving, I do like the CTS-V (though I HATE having to do everything with voice commands). It's comfortable, somewhat luxurious, and you know there's plenty of power. Compared to my GT-R, it's two different driving experiences. The GT-R is the race car I expect it to be, and with the custom tune I have in it now, doing 0-60 below 3 seconds. It flat out goes and I don't have any smoking tires. The CTS-V is the Cadillac I expected it to be, with a decent amount of power. It does get the attention of other drivers, when they drive up and see the little, "V", badge in the rear. In fact, there was a guy in an M5 that was behind me as we entered a highway from the on ramp, and he couldn't WAIT to step on it. I wish I could have accommodated him and blew away his entitlement mentality a**, but I was going to a meeting, in a new location I was not familiar with.

V locity
01-28-12, 10:32 AM
I was just wondering if everyone you've let drive your V for the first time has the same reaction? Everyone, without exception, I've let drive my V - first has this wide eyed look (almost terrified) then giggles like a school girl once they get on it. I find it as entertaining as driving the car myself.

First impression...

Nice car! The only thing I've driven with a better balance than my former 550i... Way better than an M5... Smooth, solid, quick, fast, comfy, lots of creature comforts w/o the upsell on the sticker... and it's got how many miles on the warranty?

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
01-28-12, 10:40 AM
First impression...

Nice car! The only thing I've driven with a better balance than my former 550i... Way better than an M5... Smooth, solid, quick, fast, comfy, lots of creature comforts w/o the upsell on the sticker... and it's got how many miles on the warranty?
Was the question on the warranty for the CTS-V? When I bought my '09 CTS-V last month I purchased an extended warranty for it. My GT-R only came with a 36 month/36K mile warranty, so I have an extended warranty on that, too.

V locity
01-28-12, 11:11 AM
Was the question on the warranty for the CTS-V? When I bought my '09 CTS-V last month I purchased an extended warranty for it. My GT-R only came with a 36 month/36K mile warranty, so I have an extended warranty on that, too.

No... that was rhetorical. My 550i went in for warranty work at LEAST every 30 days. Over the top repairs $s under warranty. Stuff like replacing adaptive headlights @ $1100 just for the part? Evap coil, Torque converter, Pwr St. Pump.... I can go on & on... Got rid of it @ 49,500 miles. The sad part is I enjoyed the ride.

M5eater
01-28-12, 11:29 AM
No... that was rhetorical. My 550i went in for warranty work at LEAST every 30 days. Over the top repairs $s under warranty. Stuff like replacing adaptive headlights @ $1100 just for the part? Evap coil, Torque converter, Pwr St. Pump.... I can go on & on... Got rid of it @ 49,500 miles. The sad part is I enjoyed the ride.
That's the dark side of German car ownership, and there's no point where you've replaced everything and it works for a year or two error free.. it's a constant battle. They're expensive to maintain even from a DIY perspective.

V locity
01-28-12, 11:39 AM
That's the dark side of German car ownership, and there's no point where you've replaced everything and it works for a year or two error free.. it's a constant battle. They're expensive to maintain even from a DIY perspective.

Yep... Went to the other end of the spectrum & replaced it with a Lexus GS. Other than a couple of issues, it's been a good car.

So far on the V2, the only thing it needs is that bushing that knocks in the blower...