: Eucalyptus wood, Tuscan Leather: How to tell

Smiling Jack
01-24-12, 09:11 PM
Could someone please post as to how to, by actual inspection of the parts,

1.) how to distinguish the Tuscan leather from the standard ?

2.) how to distinguish the Eucalyptus wood trim form the standard ?

ddalder
01-24-12, 11:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Tuscany leather was only available on the Platinum edition. Some information I have suggests this was the case in 2009, but I don't have anything for 2006 so I can't be sure about that model year.

Regarding the wood trim, some references talk about Sapele wood and others mention Eucalyptus wood. My car has Sapele wood according to the build sheet, yet I bought a brand new LF door panel and the parts listing said it was Eucalyptus. It all looks the same to me. The STS-V has Olive Ash which is very dark in comparison. This wasn't available on anything but the 'V' series STS.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 12:08 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the Tuscany leather was only available on the Platinum edition. Some information I have suggests this was the case in 2009, but I don't have anything for 2006 so I can't be sure about that model year.

Regarding the wood trim, some references talk about Sapele wood and others mention Eucalyptus wood. My car has Sapele wood according to the build sheet, yet I bought a brand new LF door panel and the parts listing said it was Eucalyptus. It all looks the same to me. The STS-V has Olive Ash which is very dark in comparison. This wasn't available on anything but the 'V' series STS.

Thanks, Darcy, for chiming in.

As you know from our side conversations, I have a discrepancy between my trunk list and the build for the dash VIN.
On items which differ, some items of equipment on the car definitely agree with one list, and some with the other.
I'm still trying to sort out the various bits. Hence this post.

My car is a 2006 V6.

A few facts: one of my lists calls out Eucalyptus; the other does not.

The car has wood trim on the center stack and console, but I do not know how to distinguish the Eucalyptus from the standard.

The '07 Platinum Edition option included Tuscan Leather, but I do not know whether it was available in 06. I think it also had olive ash wood trim

The '07 Platinum edition also touted "real" wood trim.

Does anyone know whether the standard wood trim or the Sapele or the Eucalyptus or the olive ash are supposed to be real or just simulated?

ddalder
01-25-12, 12:50 AM
Any of the wood in a 2005+ STS will be real. The disappointing part is that it is a veneer and not all that thick :(

caddyfat2
01-25-12, 09:26 AM
All moulded ( not flat but wood with shapes) woods are veneers.

DBeaSST
01-25-12, 09:31 AM
Tuscany full leather seating was a Platinum package only thing. I know it was in the 08 and up years, not sure about the 05-07 models. It was automatically included in the Platinum package and I've sat in a couple. The leather is noticeably more supple than the 'standard' leather.

Perhaps the Eucalyptus wood was part of that? I know the Platinum's had different wood but can't recall it's name.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 11:48 AM
All moulded ( not flat but wood with shapes) woods are veneers.

I hoped that would be the answer, re. the "real wood."

and we have the answer that the Olive Ash is much darker

Now we're back to the question of how to distinguish, visually, among the Eucalyptus, Sapele, and the standard wood.

Or is one of those the standard wood?

Or was there a base STS the did not have wood trim of some kind?

nathanjax
01-25-12, 12:27 PM
Or was there a base STS the did not have wood trim of some kind?

Yes. I have a couple extra door panels at home. I'll post pics tonight. I have a door panel without wood, One with my regular wood, and one with dark redish wood.

caddyfat2
01-25-12, 01:02 PM
The Eucalyptus wood is very light colored wood, Almost blonde looking and the Platinum Edition wasn't the only trim with Tuscany seats. The 1SG had it in 2005 and I'm not sure but I think the 1SF in 05 had it also.

erichthecatt
01-25-12, 01:22 PM
As for the Tuscany Leather, I was on a mission last year when I got my STS to figure out if I had this. It just so happened the Cadillac dealer had a DTS on the lot with Tuscany Leather. It's a world of differance. So soft and feels great to sit on. I would compare it to the feeling a shammy or suede. I would think the standard leather which my car has, would be easier to keep clean.

malatu
01-25-12, 01:49 PM
Any of the wood in a 2005+ STS will be real. The disappointing part is that it is a veneer and not all that thick :(

How thick would you expect it to be? It's function is appearance.

caddyfat2
01-25-12, 03:34 PM
When they make veneers they slice the wood into very thin sheets before it's glued onto it's subpanel and processed.

( I saw it on "HOW IT'S MADE")

malatu
01-25-12, 03:55 PM
Some very fine furniture is made with veneers. And some very cheap as well. I guess my point is don't conclude because it's veneered it's cheap.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 04:25 PM
Yes. I have a couple extra door panels at home. I'll post pics tonight. I have a door panel without wood, One with my regular wood, and one with dark redish wood.

Thanks in advance for posting pix.

I read into this answer that there were base models with no wood trim in the door panels.

Were there any base models that had no wood trim at all, not even in the console or the center stack?

----------

The Eucalyptus wood is very light colored wood, Almost blonde looking and the Platinum Edition wasn't the only trim with Tuscany seats. The 1SG had it in 2005 and I'm not sure but I think the 1SF in 05 had it also.

Thanks for the solid info re. both the color of wood and the fact that The Tuscan leather was available on other than platinum Ed.

malatu
01-25-12, 04:26 PM
I think there were some models that used a brush nickle or chrome. Don't know if these models had wood on the shifter or other locations as well. I'd be curious to know as well.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 04:29 PM
As for the Tuscany Leather, I was on a mission last year when I got my STS to figure out if I had this. It just so happened the Cadillac dealer had a DTS on the lot with Tuscany Leather. It's a world of differance. So soft and feels great to sit on. I would compare it to the feeling a shammy or suede. I would think the standard leather which my car has, would be easier to keep clean.

Excellent, now I suppose I know that I have a leather option , but not the Tuscan.

For what it's worth, though, we recently got a 2012 CTS loaner while the 06 STS was in the shop. My wife remarked immediately that the CTS interior was not even close to being as nice as the STS'. She particularly remarked that the CTS leather was not as soft, or as "nice."

nathanjax
01-25-12, 06:17 PM
My wood
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/2005%20Cadillac%20STS/Misc/1.jpg

A darker wood
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/2005%20Cadillac%20STS/Misc/3.jpg

No wood
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/2005%20Cadillac%20STS/Misc/2.jpg

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 07:00 PM
Thanks, (good old reliable ?) Nathan, for posting the pix.

The upper one looks rather like mine.

From Darcy's post (#2 in this thread) I would suppose that the darker one is the Olive Ash.
Darcy also posted that the Eucalyptus he ordered and received looked just like the Sapele.

But we have from Cadyfat2 (post #9) the report that the Eucalyptus is very light, almost blonde; so I'm not quite there yet.

dkozloski
01-25-12, 07:47 PM
My '06 1SF AWD V8 STS has Tuscan leather according to the window sticker and the build sheet on the spare tire cover.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 09:01 PM
My '06 1SF AWD V8 STS has Tuscan leather according to the window sticker and the build sheet on the spare tire cover.

Thanks, Koz.

Presuming that yours does not have the Platinum edition option (and I think that was not available until at least 2007) that confirms that the Tuscan was avalable on other than just the Platinum.

Now, perhaps someone will confirm which wood type was on included in the Platinum Ed. option and whether that wood trim was available without the Platinum Ed.

And what type is your wood trim, and does it look like either of the pix above?

dkozloski
01-25-12, 09:20 PM
The window sticker says eucalyptus wood trim and Tuscany leather. The wood is the lighter color.

1BadCadSTS
01-25-12, 09:23 PM
IL3 - PREMIUM TUSCANY LEATHER SEATS

B20 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE,IP, SHIFT KNOB, DOOR TRIM AND STRG WHEEL

On my 2005 1SG build sheet

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 09:32 PM

B20 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE,IP, SHIFT KNOB, DOOR TRIM AND STRG WHEEL

On my 2005 1SG build sheet

Outstanding, Bad Cad.

Now can you tell us what the Eucalyptus wood looks like ?

Anything like the upper photo in (good old reliable) Nathan's post (# 17) above?

And I'm presuming yours does not have the platinum Edition option. Right?

ddalder
01-25-12, 10:55 PM
Interesting... Copied from my build sheet I show:

B20 - SAPELE WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE, SHIFT KNOB. INSTRUMENT PANEL, DOOR TRIM AND STEERING WHEEL

From the photos, mine is identical to the first picture.

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 11:25 PM
The plot thickens:

Darcy's B20 says Sapelle, and looks like the first picture (the lighter of the two) in post #17. He also reported purchase of a part described as Eucalyptus which he says matched the Sapelle.

Koz has Eucalyptus and says it's lighter in color, but I think he is referring to the lighter of the 2 colors pictured in #17

Cadyfat says the Eucalyptus is very light, almost blonde.

Bad Cad also reports B20, but his is described as Eucalyptus.

One of my lists shows: B19 - EUCALYPTUS WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE AND IP.......
My other list shows no wood trim option at all.
The wood trim actually in the car looks like the lighter of the two woods pictured in #17, definitely not anywhere like blonde, actually a little reddish. If I were to describe the color (not the grain) I would say mahogany.

ddalder
01-25-12, 11:52 PM
So here is a picture of my interior (B20 - Sapele Wood).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/IMG_2362.jpg

This is the trim on the new door panel I purchased (P/N: 15933392). The gentleman at the parts department told me it is described as Eucalyptus when he referenced RPO B20.

TRIM, FRT S/D (INCLS 3-10, 13, 14, 16-18, 20, 21, 24) (GRAY). For use on DW (B20, DL7, 133). 2008-2009.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/IMG_2335.jpg

----------

Looking a little further, in reviewing the printout the parts department gave me for all the different door panel trim options and associated part numbers, there is no reference to RPO B19. Many entries show B18, B20 or EXC B20 (Except B20). This list was printed specifically in reference to 2008. I'm thinking there were different variations depending on model year.

----------

Well, I give up... I'm confused!

Smiling Jack
01-25-12, 11:57 PM
Thanks, Darcy,

I wondered whether there was a model year difference.

I also noticed that the B19 did not include the shift knob, steering wheel or door trim, but the B20 did include those.

ddalder
01-26-12, 12:13 AM
So here's another one for you...

Despite the description for B20 on my build sheet (re: steering wheel), my wheel is "N31 - HEATED & LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL". I don't have any wood on mine. I wonder if this has something to do with my option package "1SG PREMIUM LUXURY PERFORMANCE PACKAGE". Would they put a steering wheel with wood trim on a car described as "PREMIUM LUXURY PERFORMANCE"? Fully leather wrapped would make more sense I guess. Mine is still heated which in our winters is really all I care about LOL

Smiling Jack
01-26-12, 12:36 AM
Thanks, Darcy,

I wondered whether there was a model year difference.

I also noticed that the B19 did not include the shift knob, steering wheel or door trim, but the B20 did include those.

Thanks for that last bit, Darcy.

I had also wondered whether there was a heated leather-only steering wheel. That would seem like the most attractive of all the combinations to me. The plastic or wood trimmed wheels not only get cold in the winter, they can get so hot in the summer that they can actually burn your hand. Leather solves that problem nicely, and helps with the cold as well. Heating the leather would complete the solution. To add back in a non-leather-wrapped and non-heated part of the wheel that is going to be burning hot in the summer and freezing in the winter, doesn't seem to make sense to me.

1BadCadSTS
01-26-12, 01:08 PM
My wood is the darker color the 2nd picture Im sure

I know the Black and Gray interior color cars got one color wood a darker color and the tan interior got a lighter wood.

dkozloski
01-26-12, 02:39 PM
My car has a black tuscany leather interior and has the lighter color wood. I think the whole damn thing is random and the luck of the draw applies. I suspect that when a load of wood parts arrives at the assembly plant, that everything comes out with the same color wood until the next load gets there that may or may not be different.

Tourist
01-26-12, 03:23 PM

This is Eucalyptus wood. It was standard on the 2008 Moonstone edition. Tuscany leather was a separate option in 2008; in 2009 it was only available with the Platinum package.

EChas3
01-26-12, 08:47 PM
Both of our cars have:

Only my 1SG also has:

Her Hertz car got:

IL2 - TRIM INTERIOR DESIGN

Smiling Jack
01-26-12, 11:38 PM

This is Eucalyptus wood. It was standard on the 2008 Moonstone edition. Tuscany leather was a separate option in 2008; in 2009 it was only available with the Platinum package.

Thanks to the tourist for posting the pic above, and to Darcy for posting the pic below, we now have a clear contrast - and they're both installed with gray interiors ! Darcy's B20 Sapele is darker and The Tourist's (B-20 ?) Eucalyptus in his picture is indeed "very light, almost blonde" as we've heard before, yet we have, on the other hand, Darcy's report that he purchased the obviously matching door pieces under the name Eucalyptus, and others have reported that their Eucalyptus looks like pictures similar to Darcy's.

So here is a picture of my interior (B20 - Sapele Wood).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS Miscellaneous/IMG_2362.jpg

This is the trim on the new door panel I purchased (P/N: 15933392). The gentleman at the parts department told me it is described as Eucalyptus when he referenced RPO B20.

----------

My car has a black tuscany leather interior and has the lighter color wood. I think the whole damn thing is random and the luck of the draw applies. I suspect that when a load of wood parts arrives at the assembly plant, that everything comes out with the same color wood until the next load gets there that may or may not be different.

I'm beginning to think that Koz may be onto the truth.

Anyone agree?

ddalder
01-26-12, 11:42 PM
Wood on the STS-V is most definitely different, but as for everything else, I would agree. Even some parts in my own car vary in the grain and colour. My wood looks a little dark in the photos, but in brighter light is much lighter. It was late afternoon when my photos were taken and I didn't use a flash.

Smiling Jack
01-27-12, 12:02 AM
Re. Sapele,

Check this out:

http://www.eastteak.com/products/finehardwoods/sapele_data.html

Now that looks like mine, and to my eye looks like Darcy's Sapele

Tourist
01-27-12, 01:08 AM
For what it is worth, the colors in my photo are accurate. The pictures are taken with a flash and the digital image is properly color corrected. Also note my interior is the ebony not gray, but as you note the top dash pad is the same color for both ebony and gray interiors.

I have not checked the code for my wood color, but it is part of the moonstone package, listed as eucalyptus. I also had an issue with the heated steering wheel, and it took 4 steering wheels before they got the color right. They seem to have lost some data with the "change" in management. At first they said there was no such thing (while they were looking at the wood!). The correct steering wheel was listed as eucalyptus. It only took 8 months to get the correct part!

As near as I can tell looking at RPO codes found on google, the B20 just refers to ORNAMENTATION, INTR, LUXURY, I think the color depends on the - xxxxxxxx after the B20 (another site said B20 was wood trim) either way the color is called out, not a part of the simple RPO code.

By the way a simple way to tell the Tuscany trim is to look for the interior trim at the top of the doors. Tuscany will be leather and will have a stiched seam, while the standard leather will have a plastic trim.

ddalder
01-27-12, 03:23 AM
Not sure where some of the other sites obtain their information. My local GM dealership printed my build sheet so I'm confident it is correct. The RPO codes and descriptions I've posted are exactly as they appear on the build sheet.

RPO codes are "generally" consistent, but they don't always mean the same thing between vehicles. For example, XA7 on an STS refers to heated washer "nozzles", which is correct. On other vehicles such as the DTS, Avalanche, etc this same RPO refers to a heated washer system utilizing a module to rapidly heat fluid and has nothing to do with heated nozzles. Similar, but not exactly the same. Another example, magnetic variable effort steering on my Bonneville has a completely different RPO than for my STS. For these reasons, I depend on my GM dealer to provide vehicle/year specific information as it appears in their system. I've found too many inconsistencies with publically posted RPO lists to use them for anything more than "general" information.

B20 does refer to the vehicle having wood trim, however:

On my build sheet (2008 w/1SG) it lists "B20 - Sapele Wood...".
The build sheet for a 2006 (w/1SC) that I obtained shows "B20 - Eucalyptus Wood...".

Sapele wood and Eucalyptus wood are definitely different. There can definitely be different shades, even with the same type of wood depending on how each batch is finished. This RPO is not intended to capture colour. There are other RPO's that specify colour and trim design.

For these same two build sheets, GM lists N31 on mine as "N31 - HEATED & LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL" (and in fact, I don't have wood on mine), yet on the 2006 it is "N31 - HEATED, WOOD STEERING WHEEL".

Tourist
01-27-12, 11:52 AM
ddalder,

I agree, that is exactly my point. Maybe I was not clear enough. The B20 does not reflect the wood color, just says it is wood. The color is listed separately.

AllWheelEric
01-27-12, 01:07 PM
I have a GM document called "Vehicle Order Guide" for 2005 models, updated January 2006. It may help clear things up for older models.

Regarding wood color, it states "Light Gray or Ebony Interiors include dark eucalyptus wood trim. Cashmere interior includes medium eucalyptus wood trim." There are no RPO codes for the wood color. B20 is defined as "Wood Trim Package, includes real Eucalyptus wood on steering wheel, shifter knob, center stack and console, IP spear molding and door pulls." The word Sapele does not appear in the guide.

Regarding Tuscany leather, it states "Included on 1SG only" but this seems to have been a change effective 2/14/2005. Prior to 2/14/2005, it was available on 1SF as a separate option. Tuscany leather gets coded as 133, 193, or 323 (for Gray, Ebony, Cashmere). Nuance Leather gets coded as 132, 192, 322.

triumph.man
01-27-12, 03:06 PM
I like the darker wood over the eucaluptus. I have eucalyptus =(

chazglenn3
01-27-12, 07:31 PM
My car has the dark eucalyptus wood because it has the light grey interior. I think they made too many white diamond/cashmere cars and was very happy to find my white diamond/light grey car. I also think the darker wood looks better.

Smiling Jack
01-27-12, 08:34 PM
I have a GM document called "Vehicle Order Guide" for 2005 models, updated January 2006. It may help clear things up for older models.

Regarding wood color, it states "Light Gray or Ebony Interiors include dark eucalyptus wood trim. Cashmere interior includes medium eucalyptus wood trim." There are no RPO codes for the wood color. B20 is defined as "Wood Trim Package, includes real Eucalyptus wood on steering wheel, shifter knob, center stack and console, IP spear molding and door pulls." The word Sapele does not appear in the guide.

Regarding Tuscany leather, it states "Included on 1SG only" but this seems to have been a change effective 2/14/2005. Prior to 2/14/2005, it was available on 1SF as a separate option. Tuscany leather gets coded as 133, 193, or 323 (for Gray, Ebony, Cashmere). Nuance Leather gets coded as 132, 192, 322.

Thanks, Eric.

Here's what I think we've learned, so far, about the wood trim:

1.) The basic codes, B19, B20 (are there more?) designate only the wood trimmed items, not the type wood or color.

2.) The complete designation gives the basic code plus the type e.g., B20 - Sapele, or B20 - Eucalyptus.

3. There are at least 3 wood types: Sapele, Eucalyptus and Olive Ash.

4.) At least one of the wood types comes in various colors or shades. Specifically, the Eucalyptus comes in light, medium and dark (see posts #17 and #32); so there are at least 5 wood type-color combinations available: Olive Ash, Sapele, light Eucalyptus, medium Eucalyptus, and dark Eucalyptus.

5.) Only 4 of the 5 color-types, however, may be distinct. Specifically, the medium Eucalyptus looks at least very similar to the Sapele (see post #26).

6.) The light Eucalyptus is VERY light, almost blonde.

7.) The medium Eucalyptus and the Sapele are similar to mahogany in color.

8.) The dark Eucalyptus is REALLY dark.

9.) The Olive Ash may or may not be similar in color to the dark Eucalyptus.

10.) Even within each of the color-types there may be noticeable variations form time to tome or from lot to lot. These are, after all, natural woods.

Thanks to all who provided parts of this info.

Please correct me if I have misinterpreted or missed something.

ddalder
01-27-12, 08:43 PM
I believe there is also a B18 based on some information on a parts list my dealer provided. I don't know specifically what it refers to or the years it applies to, but based on the context it was used in, I'm confident it also has something to do with the trim package.

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 02:24 AM

My 2009 Platinum ed NorthStar STS has olive wood. It's a little different the the courtesy rental V6 STSs that i usually get. What I really like is all the real leather in the dash, consoles & sides / doors.

tbcool1
02-12-13, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone!
I just bought my 2007 sts and it has the "eucalyptus" wood trim. What I would like to know is if anyone out there knows where I can get the other trim pcs. from? like for the steering wheel and the left
side of the dash, the over head console etc.etc. ??

Thanks in advance, this is an awesome group of people on here!!!!

tbcool1

Ludacrisvp
02-12-13, 01:32 PM
what on earth is a 'moonstone' edition?
fwiw my 08 is tuscany and heated wheel with wood, appears to be the lighter eucalyptus wood but build-sheet says sapele wood.(non platinum model 1SG)

ral1960
02-12-13, 02:15 PM
My 2009 Platinum ed NorthStar STS has olive wood. It's a little different the the courtesy rental V6 STSs that i usually get. What I really like is all the real leather in the dash, consoles & sides / doors.Some years of Platinums had burled olive wood with a saddle (medium) stain.

dkozloski
02-12-13, 02:44 PM
FWIW, my '06 STS has 193 Trim Combination, Black Leather (193) according to the VIN breakdown sheet and there are 1,114 '06 STSs that have the same trim.

EChas3
02-12-13, 08:15 PM
what on earth is a 'moonstone' edition?

It's a $1,500 dealer rip'em'off option!