: Water in drivers side door module

rooney
01-24-12, 02:35 PM
It looks like I got some water in the drivers side door module. I checked the fuse to ensure it was still good and it is. I have no other explanation to why all my controls for my windows, the switch to disable other people from rolling down their windows, my mirror control, locks, and my trunk release is not working other than I got water in it. Is there any easy fix for this? I am not sure what that control is. I am deathly afraid of taking off the door panel, not too sure how hard it is to get back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All the other windows work. My drunk releases with the button on the key fob. Locks work on the passenger side door.

MacMuse
01-24-12, 10:07 PM
I know it was just a typo, but that line - 'My drunk releases with the button...' was the best laugh I had today. I hope someone has some good suggestions for you!

ddalder
01-24-12, 10:55 PM
So did you get water in the Driver Door Switch Assembly (DDSA), or the Driver Door Module (DDM)? These are different components. If you've never had the door panel off, I'm assuming you meant to say the DDSA.

The door panel isn't too hard to take off, but if you're really nervous, you may want to take it to a shop to be serviced. The good news is that neither of these two modules require programming when replaced (except to relearn the window express up/down; this procedure is in your owner's manual).

rooney
01-26-12, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure which one actually.

I removed the Driver Door Module fuse to see if it was blown and it was ok. Once I plugged it back in and started the car back up, the light for the window lock-out button started flickering. So I assumed it was that.

I'll check the DDSA fuse (I'm assuming it has one).

Also, where can I buy these parts?

ddalder
01-26-12, 11:07 PM
The DDSA derives its power from the DDM so you won't find another fuse. These parts are available from dealership. You could also try an auto wrecker although you might have limited success here. Most auto wreckers aren't interested in selling just a part of the door panel, nor are they interested in the work involved of selling most any part unless the selling price makes it worth their time. You can also check eBay. Check here for example...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-07-CADILLAC-STS-MASTER-POWER-LEFT-WINDOW-SWITCH-/350497386176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASTS&vxp=mtr&hash=item519b45aec0

rooney
01-28-12, 12:33 PM
ddalder, you've been helpful. Thanks.

Can you help me understand why the drunk release wouldn't work either? I don't see how the switch and the trunk release relate.

ddalder
01-28-12, 01:03 PM
ddalder, you've been helpful. Thanks.

Can you help me understand why the drunk release wouldn't work either? I don't see how the switch and the trunk release relate.
You're most welcome.

As for your question, there is a fairly easy answer. The trunk release button is connected to the DDSA. When it is pressed, the DDSA sends a message over the vehicle data bus to the Rear Integration Module (RIM). This module activates a relay which engages the release solenoid and opens the trunk. When the switch in the trunk latch assembly detects it is open, the RIM sends a data message to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) displaying the corresponding warning message.

For these reasons, it makes sense that the trunk release will not operate if you have a catastrophic failure with the DDSA.