: Breanne-Cadillac customer service- need Nav help

cts-v ls6
01-24-12, 09:04 AM
I have a 2010 V2. The car is my daily driver, and I put about 1000 miles/week on her. I use the nav all the time. When I picked the car up, the nav was in "quickest" default for plotting a route and worked great. Now it's in "shortest" default, and I can't change it. I have been to the local dealer, had the pcm reflashed, installed the new nav disc update, and nothing helps. So, when I'm on the road and need to go to my next sales call, I input the address, press"go", and a screen comes up that says "quickest", "shortest" and "easy" at the bottom of the screen. "Shortest" and "easy" are underlined. Quickest is not. I try to press the "quickest" icon on the screen, but it's not active and nothing changes. So I can be driving from Little Rock to Memphis, a straight shot on the freeway, with my home address plugged in, and the nav will tell me to get off the freeway and get on a parallel 2 lane highway! How do I change this? If I get out a road atlas and figure out how to get to a freeway, the nav will reroute me and eventually get me on track. I think there must be something that can be changed in the config file by using the config button on the dash, but it's not mentioned in the nav handbook, and I have tried and tried to play with it and get it to work. The dealer says they called a GM help line, and the nav is working correctly...but it's not.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Thanks,

Jack

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-24-12, 02:43 PM
I tried to contact GM Navigation Support to see what I can find out about this for you, but it asked for personal information. So, here is the phone number for you: 1-877-NAV-DISC. I would start there, they will have more answers for you. I hope this helps. Keep me updated.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

cts-v ls6
01-26-12, 11:46 PM
Thanks, Breanne.

I contacted them 2 or 3 months ago. They called my dealer, but never would let me talk to anyone who could trouble shoot the program over the phone. I think I'll go back to the dealer, sit in a new V2 with the nav, input an address, get the nav to show "quickest", then, side by side, input the same address on my car so it will show "shortest", and say "Figure it out, or give me a new nav".

Thanks,

Jack

dkozloski
01-26-12, 11:55 PM
I think you need to look at and adjust highway preferences. If you have inadvertantly told it to avoid freeways it will immediately dump you off onto county roads. I had a similar problem with my STS in that it kept directing me to frontage roads. Changing highway preferences put me back on the fast track. Road preferences overrides quickest/shortest. The reason you get no response from the shortest button is because you are already there but being overridden by the road preferences.

JFJr
01-27-12, 03:01 PM
GM Navigation Disc Support is terrible. The answers are standardized and unresponsive to the problem. You're pretty much on your own with the manual.

Jud

jzchen
02-21-12, 08:09 AM
I checked this out on our Nav since ours is the same year and someone reported this a while ago. I think you can select between the three choices ONLY when the vehicle is in park or not in motion. I haven't verified whether you have to be in park or just not in motion, but I'm sure you have to stop or it defaults to one of the choices/picks the last used one. If "shortest" and "easy" are underlined I would assume the default choice taken by the Nav is "quickest". Try stopping the vehicle and hopefully you can change to "easy" and see if that helps. The algorithm used to choose a route is determined by the programmer. The software has all this map data and has to try to choose the route given this data. Sometimes the algorithm might not be good, but it can also be a limitation in the map data given to it. I'm waiting in anticipation for the '12 update but so far it seems to be coming out later this year than last. (Anyways there was a Father's Day sale last year that I was hoping to wait for...)