: Wiper Time Again

EChas3
01-24-12, 12:02 AM
Last time I bought windshield wipers, I got two pairs to take care of both my 2006 STS4 1SG & my wife's 2007 1SE. I cleaned up the old ones and kept them as a spare. Well, the UV rays and wear finally caught up with them and it's time to do it again.

Should I go with GM 88958359 & 88958361 again? They did cost $18 apiece from Cadillac Parts USA (Frank Shirey Cadillac) back in 02/09. I'd have to say they lasted well.

I've heard good things about Bosch and some others, but I can't really complain. I've had Trico and Rainex not last a year. Sometimes off-brands will start skipping and be worthless before they wear out. The OEM's are good wipers. Other opinions?

Smiling Jack
01-24-12, 01:56 AM
I'm very interested to see the advice we get here.

I got set on the Trico's decades ago. Back then they seemed to be very long lasting. But lately they've been increasingly disappointing.

I think they've been trading off of their name recognition and selling a lesser product.

caddyfat2
01-24-12, 09:10 AM
Oem is the way to go. The aftermarket ones cost around the same price so I would go Oem. I got mines for $15.60 ea. from one of those online sites. oh yeah the aftermarket brands are not as sleek and areodynamic as the Oem wipers.

BaTu
01-24-12, 11:30 AM
At the start of this Winter I saw Costco had Goodyear blades, you know the "new type" like the Bosch and our current OEM, for $7.99ea , buy-one-get-one-free. Seemed like a pretty good deal ;) So, I actually bought them for All my vehicles! Changed the OEMs for the Goodyears on the STS.

First their Butt Ugly, Clunky, Square universal adapter was a set-back for me but, then when they kept falling off if I flipped them up off the windshield to wash, I Knew I had made a mistake and ordered OEMs online (and spent more money than I did on the 4 pairs from Costco). BUT, in the end, I'm confident they're worth it..... I think the last time I changed them was close to 3yrs ago and they were still working OK. You can't beat OEM for the looks & quality. I say "spring for 'em" :)

mckellyb
01-24-12, 12:45 PM
I scored at Costco late-last year, and purchased Bosch assemblies 2-for-1. I should have gotten a second set for my wife's car, in retrospect.

I posted here you can put a one inch longer than OEM blade on the driver's side, and not have it interfere. Might be able to go 2" longer, but I'll need to measure.

I've been rather spoiled by the 96% wiper coverage by the W124's single blade. Since my first car, I always want maximum coverage.

Rain-X's build quality, and the lower-quality of goods in general, is the result of people shopping price and companies trying to make maximum profit.

Unfortunate, really. I'd rather purchase one $20 dollar item which lasts/is high quality, than purchase the same, but low-quality, item for $7 three times.

It's not the dollars, it's the aggravation.

edited for typos

MacMuse
01-24-12, 01:25 PM
I did a 24" RainX blade on the driver side and I'm very happy with it.

24 is 2" longer than the original, but it doesn't hit anything in operation.

1BadCadSTS
01-24-12, 02:46 PM
Looks like those numbers have been replaced...

22840631 and 22840632 now show up and are about half the price...

mckellyb
01-24-12, 03:55 PM
I did a 24" RainX blade on the driver side and I'm very happy with it.

24 is 2" longer than the original, but it doesn't hit anything in operation.

Very. Cool.

I know what I'm buying, next time! I really wish the passenger's side one could be longer, but the OEM almost hits the A-pillar as it is.

BaTu
01-24-12, 06:16 PM
Looks like those numbers have been replaced...

22840631 and 22840632 now show up and are about half the price...

I saw that too, just a couple of weeks ago, but later found that those #'s are a, cheaper, replacement blade, NOT the same at all. I was able to get the right ones (old #'s) from GMpartsgiant.

Greg00coupe
01-25-12, 08:28 PM
I've been very happy with OEM Cost a little but worth it. Those online purchases..yea $15 but add in handling and shipping... It all comes down to use... I have a 12 y/o Corvette ..always in the garage and little wet use. Got original blades. But in extreme weather blades that a beating.