: Anyone have luck w/iPod/iPhone cable substitute?

js615
01-23-12, 09:38 AM
So I broke down and finally gave in to the peer pressure - got myself an iPhone. So, first, let me get this out of the way - I get it. It just works well. Makes sense.

What doesn't make sens is the ridiculously short cable GM gives us for connecting to the entertainment system. I have read several posts where many of you fanboys (hey, I like the phone, but I'm still not yet a fanboy) have had great success with a 30-pin full audio/video compliant extension cable; but I am wondering if anyone had had success with simply replacing the adapter cable with either a longer version of the same thing (such as this from Amazon - http://amzn.to/wqgUK1 or this - http://amzn.to/wazp51)

Perhaps someone has had luck connecting with a fully compliant 30-pin to USB (bypassing the 3.5mm audio plug altogether)?

Rock on,
J.

Speedtrapped
01-23-12, 11:21 AM
sorry to threadjack, but will the mentioned usb cables help with my Vagon(11') to detect my iphone? My iphone is last model, not lastest, but does have updated operating system. Everytime I plug in the USB from phone to jack in arm rest, system doesnt detect device, non readable? sorry, but I'm confused.
Stephen

M5eater
01-23-12, 11:38 AM
So I broke down and finally gave in to the peer pressure - got myself an iPhone. So, first, let me get this out of the way - I get it. It just works well. Makes sense.

What doesn't make sens is the ridiculously short cable GM gives us for connecting to the entertainment system. I have read several posts where many of you fanboys (hey, I like the phone, but I'm still not yet a fanboy) have had great success with a 30-pin full audio/video compliant extension cable; but I am wondering if anyone had had success with simply replacing the adapter cable with either a longer version of the same thing (such as this from Amazon - http://amzn.to/wqgUK1 or this - http://amzn.to/wazp51)

Perhaps someone has had luck connecting with a fully compliant 30-pin to USB (bypassing the 3.5mm audio plug altogether)?

Rock on,
J.

There can't be anything special to the GM adapter, I would say it's not far fetched to suggest those would work. if they dont, you're only out $10 anyway. let us know!

sorry to threadjack, but will the mentioned usb cables help with my Vagon(11') to detect my iphone? My iphone is last model, not lastest, but does have updated operating system. Everytime I plug in the USB from phone to jack in arm rest, system doesnt detect device, non readable? sorry, but I'm confused.
Stephen

it's a known problem, one I'm afraid to say, will never be resolved, it's similar to the bluetooth problem with the iphone 4. software incompatibilties with what is now a 5 year old operating system. I mean, it can't even read NTSF USB drives.

Speedtrapped
01-23-12, 11:50 AM
ugghh, so either another phone or no aux tunes...

M5eater
01-23-12, 11:53 AM
Do you have a regular 4 or a 4s?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/248575-problem-iphone-4-bluetooth-working-not.html

bottom line is Apple does whatever the hell it wants.

js615
01-23-12, 01:45 PM
@Speedtrapped - upgrade to iOS 5 and all shoudl be good again in your world.

Speedtrapped
01-24-12, 09:20 PM
Js615, I did upgrade to OS 5, about 2 months ago. Maybe it's the USB cable?

js615
01-25-12, 09:29 AM
Js615, I did upgrade to OS 5, about 2 months ago. Maybe it's the USB cable?

Must be. I have an iPhone4S, and using the supplied GM cable, it works great. I can control everything, including Pandora, from the NAV and steering wheel.

M5eater
01-25-12, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, the GM cable doesn't stay put at all for some reason.

js615
01-25-12, 10:34 AM
I have definitatively ruled out using a 30-pin to USB full data/audio/video-compliant cable as a substitute for the split function 30-pin to USB and 3.5mm audio plug that GM supplies. Ironcially, the cables work on my wife's SRX but not my V. The software on our NAV systems mut not be coded to play aduio through the USB interface. I tried several cables from different manufactures - all worked inthe SRX but not in the V, they also worked on a friends Lexus.

I'm ordering the two breakout cables from my original post to see if they work. If not, sadly, this means our only option is to use the dock extension cables to lengthen the GM dongle. And there are several existing posts from foks that have had good an bad luck with those. I guess the key here is to get a fully compliant data/audio/video 30-pin cable and you should be fine. If the package doesnt say so, don't buy it.

J.

Fireverm
01-25-12, 10:45 AM
I have not had any issues with using 2 different iPhone 4 and now an iPhone 4S using the stock GM supplied cable or bluetooth in my 2011 Sedan.

Instead of trying to extend the cable on the 30 pin end, why don't you try getting an USB and 2.5mm extension for the arm rest end?

js615
01-25-12, 11:45 AM
Instead of trying to extend the cable on the 30 pin end, why don't you try getting an USB and 2.5mm extension for the arm rest end?

Because I am an anal-retentive organizational nut...I don't want a gaggle of cables all over the car. I want it neat and clean.

Xaqtly
01-25-12, 12:04 PM
I'm new to CTS-Vs - in fact I don't even have one yet. I'm in the process of buying one and so I'm doing research. Can somebody clarify what we're talking about here? It sounds like GM supplies a cable for iPhones/iPods with Apple's 30 pin connector on one end, but then it breaks out to both USB and 1/8" audio? And it also sounds like Apple's 30-pin to USB cable doesn't work? Sounds like GM sort of hacked iPhone functionality into their head unit, since Apple's 30 pin connector to USB is perfectly capable of handling audio.

I'm buying a pre-owned V, so now I'm hoping it will still come with GM's cable assuming that's the only way you can get an iPhone to work for audio.

RippyPartsDept
01-25-12, 12:40 PM
i just recently bought a 30 pin cable extension on ebay and it's been working great for me
(i don't use it in the car, but presumably it should work just as well in the car as in the house)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220924916499?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
t (http://www.ebay.com/itm/220924916499?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)hat item is no longer currently for sale (auction ended) but there should be a link to take you to a current auction for that product from the same seller

Mystical_Ice
01-25-12, 02:34 PM
I've never been a fan of controlling my ipod from the dash. I can do it a lot more effectively from the actual ipod (or iphone in your case).

For that reason, i got a ipod cable with an aux in and cigarette lighter so i can charge and listen at teh same time. the cables sit in the center console and i hvae a single cable routed out to the ipod, which usually sits on the passenger seat.

Been doing that for 5+ years in both generation cts-vs, and it's worked for me :)

Speedtrapped
01-25-12, 03:52 PM
ok really dumb question, wouldnt be 1st.....I have been plugging my iphone into the USB port in the arm rest? is the iphone/aux port somewhere else?

RippyPartsDept
01-25-12, 04:16 PM
there should be an aux (3.5mm) jack right next to the usb port

----------

base model radios only have the aux jack (no usb port)

Speedtrapped
01-25-12, 04:24 PM
TYVM....never looked

Xaqtly
01-25-12, 06:53 PM
I've never been a fan of controlling my ipod from the dash. I can do it a lot more effectively from the actual ipod (or iphone in your case).

Not me. My current car has iPod/iPhone audio control from the head unit and steering wheel, and it's pretty awesome. I keep my iPhone in the armrest cubby since that's where the USB port is, and also because in Nevada now you will get pulled over and ticketed for having a phone in your hand while driving. In my current car though, it all works through the standard iPhone 30-pin to USB cable. That's what I was planning on using in the V (which I'm in the process of buying), but apparently you have to use the GM splitter cable to hear and control the iPhone from the head unit and steering wheel controls.

Speedtrapped
01-26-12, 02:34 PM
there should be an aux (3.5mm) jack right next to the usb port

----------

base model radios only have the aux jack (no usb port)
Ok...hmmm in my armrest, only USB port and a power plug....what am I missing

Mystical_Ice
01-26-12, 03:34 PM
Ok...hmmm in my armrest, only USB port and a power plug....what am I missing

Unless the Wagon is completely different for some reason, you should have a 3.5mm jack next to the USB port

RippyPartsDept
01-26-12, 03:45 PM
maybe it's been changed for 2011 vehicles ...

in 2008-2010 (at least) it should look like this

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6625/32574780ss09440ge5.jpg

Speedtrapped
01-26-12, 07:20 PM
Ahh, ok sorry for confusion and Ty. But cable I ordered has flat extension, not the "male" plug version. Yes I have that set up. I guess my Vagon didn't have the 3.5mm jack supplied. I will have to buy one. Tyvm

ImaginAsian
01-26-12, 07:47 PM
get the factory cable. I tried to go cheap and get a substitute off ebay and it just recognized the 160GB iPod as a USB device. If you have a ton of songs on the device, it takes much longer to navigate through since it doesn't use the index built into the iPOD. You also won't be able to play any DRM tracks. I got the factory cable and everything works as expected.

V locity
01-26-12, 09:45 PM
OK, so this might sound like a dumb question... If you hit record while your iphone/ipod is plugged in and all you music is now on the HDD, other than pandora, why would one want to keep the phone plugged in? All my calling functions work through bluetooth.

js615
01-30-12, 05:03 PM
I use it for Pandora instead of XM.