: Which Package

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 06:47 AM
I keep hearing about packages. 1SG, 1SE, 1SF. I have no clue what these mean, what's included in them, nor how to tell what package the car I'm seeing this morning is.

Can someone help with that? The dealer has no clue.

----------

The VIN is 1G6DC67A250164838.

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 09:16 AM
The package will be listed on the option code label that is under the spare tire cover. For a 2005 STS4 I can almost guarantee that the car you are going to see is the top level 1SG package. The packages are 1SF Luxury Performance Package or 1SG Premium Luxury Performance Package. The differences are the 1SG adds 18" wheels, ZF steering gear, a higher performance cooling system and Tuscany leather seats to the 1SF package. Here is a good listing of features:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/197257-those-1sa-1sb-1sc-1sd-1sf.html

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 09:27 AM
The package will be listed on the option code label that is under the spare tire cover. For a 2005 STS4 I can almost guarantee that the car you are going to see is the top level 1SG package. The packages are 1SF Luxury Performance Package or 1SG Premium Luxury Performance Package. The differences are the 1SG adds 18" wheels, ZF steering gear, a higher performance cooling system and Tuscany leather seats to the 1SF package. Here is a good listing of features:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/197257-those-1sa-1sb-1sc-1sd-1sf.html

I hope so. The dealer said he didn't know. I'm at the. Us station now waiting to be picked up by their shuttle. I did an Edmonds VIN check for free, and under trim it said base. That was concerning to me. Will it actually say 1SG? The tires "look" low enough profile to be 50's but can't be sure. Looks like 8 spoke or so though.

dkozloski
01-23-12, 09:52 AM

There are no hard and fast rules here. I have a 1SF with high performance cooling, JE5 brakes, and black Tuscany leather. It all depends on what the dealer thought he could sell.

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 09:55 AM
There are no hard and fast rules here. I have a 1SF with high performance cooling, JE5 brakes, and black Tuscany leather. It all depends on what the dealer thought he could sell.

True, but you also have a 2006. The Tuscany leather was not available outside of the 1SG package in 2005, and there are two levels of high performance cooling...the 1SF version and the 1SG version that adds a second water pump. The JE5 brakes are included with both packages.

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 09:58 AM

Gotcha. Well I guess I'll look when I get there. Will it actually say 1SG, etc. on the underside of that Matt-like cardboard spare tire cover? And did U see the picture or it from the link I posted?

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 10:00 AM
I hope so. The dealer said he didn't know. I'm at the. Us station now waiting to be picked up by their shuttle. I did an Edmonds VIN check for free, and under trim it said base. That was concerning to me. Will it actually say 1SG? The tires "look" low enough profile to be 50's but can't be sure. Looks like 8 spoke or so though.

Yes, on the label under the spare tire cover the code 1SG (or 1SF) will be listed.

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 10:31 AM
Yes, on the label under the spare tire cover the code 1SG (or 1SF) will be listed.

Well I'm in the shuttle on the way now. I hope it's 1SG. Disappointed of it isn't. But I guess we will she here shortly. The pictures are very basic looking as far as seats. Description just says leather.

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 11:37 AM
Well I'm in the shuttle on the way now. I hope it's 1SG. Disappointed of it isn't. But I guess we will she here shortly. The pictures are very basic looking as far as seats. Description just says leather.

Almost all of the 2005 STS4 cars were 1SG cars...they were the absolute top of the STS line. I would be very surprised if it isn't a 1SG car. The Tuscany and Nuance leathers look almost the same. The Tuscany is softer so they aren't easy to tell apart in photos. Keep us posted!

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 11:57 AM
1SG on the spare cover. Tuscany leather, Eucalyptus wood, 235/50R/18's on front and 245/50R/18's on back. NAV DVD is version 1 though. Think it's 2004 version it says. A little pulsation when coming to stops. Looked at rotars. A little rust from sitting. A light roaring when coming to stop. Sounds like its the 50's and that Dunlop treat. Runs good.

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 12:39 PM
I thought so...sounds like a good deal. I would whine about the brakes and see if you can get a better deal. That's the factory nav disc. You can get a newer one on eBay pretty cheap.

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 01:45 PM
And the headlights and fogs are blue. And the back Teiresias are 255/50/18's.

chazglenn3
01-23-12, 02:08 PM
The 1SG package includes HID low beams. The high beam and fogs are halogens, but the projector lenses make them all look "blue".

EChas3
01-23-12, 08:16 PM
The 1SG is outstanding. I hope it checks out to your satisfaction.

The risk is falling for a car that's not quite what you want. Take care!

ThumperPup
01-23-12, 08:20 PM
hmm wonder what he decided on if the Op went out to look at others or if he got the 05 he was checking out of if he got on a bus and went home without one hmm

malatu
01-23-12, 08:49 PM
My bet is that he is on the road home now with his new wheels!

maiahsdad
01-23-12, 09:05 PM
Home now. Drove 4 total. 2 were ok. For the 05 1SG. I'm beat

ThumperPup
01-23-12, 10:30 PM
Home now. Drove 4 total. 2 were ok. For the 05 1SG. I'm beat

ok so you drove 4 where all 4 at the same dealer
2 where ok wich 2 where it that where Ok
For the 05 2sg thats the one you got ?
I'm Beat i know what that means LOL

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 05:35 AM
ok so you drove 4 where all 4 at the same dealer
2 where ok wich 2 where it that where Ok
For the 05 2sg thats the one you got ?
I'm Beat i know what that means LOL

Two at RJ's were OK. One at KDK was OK, and one at KDK was one they thought they knew what they had but they didn't. That's the one I got. The 05 with 146k miles was sweet. It was base pkg. they thought the one I chose was base too. They said the mileage on each was what seperated them in price.

They have a fat, arrogant dude there named Mike that almost. Caused me to walk out. Owner's dad came out. I made them do new oil change cause I didn't see the sticker. The short, fat guy said it was new oil on the stick. No sticker... no selli me car.

So. I drove straight bck from Cleveland.

Now I gotta find a manual. I hear it's online somewhere. Can't find it.

MacMuse
01-24-12, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the purchase.

For a manual start here and grab the 2006 version as the '05 appears to be offline already.

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html

Their is also a Yahoo managed / Cadillac approved site that had the '05 manuals, and I'll post its link as soon as I find it. GM is moving these on-line resources around on us, hopefully it's still out there...

----------

It's definitely a moving target, but it's still there.

http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter

This link will bounce around but does end up at a legit site. Register your VIN here and you should be able to get all the manuals in PDF form for your car.

chazglenn3
01-24-12, 12:51 PM
Congrats on the purchase...that looked like a great deal. This link has ALL of the manuals for the 2005 STS including owners and navigation manuals.

http://c5dreamer.com/sts/

----------

The white 2005 STS4 they have there also looks like it is a 1SG car to me...but the black one you bought looks like it is in MUCH better shape...especially the interior.

triumph.man
01-24-12, 12:55 PM
pictures or it didn't happen

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 01:27 PM
pictures or it didn't happen

Not sure what U mean there.

Anyways, thanks! The white one had 1sf under the tire cover.

I think there's a bulb out. When I use the Remote Start, there's a VERY small needle-like light comes on. Well the drivers light is the only one that does. I don't even know what that light is for.

Next, need to find the most recent NAV CD. I think it's 09.

Finally, someone replaced the upgraded grill with this plastic one U saw. I know it because they left off the front plastic section of the engine cover, as well as left some screws missing. So now, if I blow the horn really hard, the hood ajar light comes on and it chimes.

----------

And I want another custom grill. Any suggestions on used ones?

1BadCadSTS
01-24-12, 02:09 PM
Newest disc can be had cheap if you know how to do "it"

Any pictures of the grille this car has or the car itself?

The light you refer to is a 194 bulb and a monster to try and change it requires pulling the front fascia unless you have small hands or are flexible to change it through the side cover door...

ThumperPup
01-24-12, 02:20 PM
Not sure what U mean there.

it means he wants to see pictures of the car or you didn't get a car thats what he wants

----------

I think the latest Nav disc for your 05 sts would be 2011
because i belive it uses the same as the Corvettes the SAAB 9-5 and one other model it shares with if im correct

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 02:39 PM
Thanks for flowing me over here PUP! Drive by KDK and report back whether the Black Raven 1SG is still present. And the snap a pick of the vacant spot where it sat in front of the main window. Also, I'm using the mobile app and it's saying my file type is t sized correctly. Will post pics in about 4 hours.

----------

But the mobile app allowed me to update my profile pic. There's the new whip.

----------

And I wonder if there's a way to dial the phone without the car having to be stopped. . It's really unknown annoying. As well as change the navigation. There has got to be an override.

Smiling Jack
01-24-12, 03:01 PM
Could someone please post as to how, by actual inspection of the parts,

1.) how to distinguish the Tuscan leather from the standard ?

2.) how to distinguish the Eucalyptus wood trim form the standard ?

1BadCadSTS
01-24-12, 03:19 PM
Still dont see any pics

and to dial while car is in motion you must get a Tomm Modified lockpick for an 05

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 03:31 PM
Still dont see any pics

and to dial while car is in motion you must get a Tomm Modified lockpick for an 05

If U mean from me, refer back to my post about uploading from my mobile. I'm not back to a desktop yet. But, it is my profile pic (which I notice U do NOT have). More to come when I get HOME.

ThumperPup
01-24-12, 03:40 PM
If U mean from me, refer back to my post about uploading from my mobile. I'm not back to a desktop yet. But, it is my profile pic (which I notice U do NOT have). More to come when I get HOME.

way to school a hommy lol

Smiling Jack
01-24-12, 05:18 PM
----------

And I want another custom grill. Any suggestions on used ones?

When I was searching on e-bay for a used grille, I came across new plarinum edition grilles, and decided to go that way.

See:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/248271-platinum-edition-grille-06-sts.html

1BadCadSTS
01-24-12, 05:26 PM

looks like the oem grille to me

I had the OE grille upgraded to the platinum and then removed it and shelved it when i got an E&G classic mesh grille.

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 07:12 PM
looks like the oem grille to me

I had the OE grille upgraded to the platinum and then removed it and shelved it when i got an E&G classic mesh grille.

This one had the mesh grille. The previous owner put it in his new car one of the mechanics said. I want a mesh custom one, or another custom type aftermarket that looks cool.

Also, someone mentioned a.... "lockout" device of somekind to help with the screen locking when I take my foot off the brake. I have no clue what that is nor how to get it. And, is it costly?

1BadCadSTS
01-24-12, 07:32 PM
It's 299 I think. Allows full operation of inputs on the nav and only Tomm makes one that will work with an 05.

rdub1982
01-24-12, 07:51 PM
I agree with smiling jack.

I have an '09 but if I had an '05-07 I would definitely get this grille:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Cadillac-STS-PLATINUM-Grille-/190615690097?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61949b71#ht_2355wt_689

It gives it an upgraded but classy look. Kind of reminds me of the '08-11 grille or a DTS grille.

Smiling Jack
01-24-12, 08:44 PM
I agree with smiling jack.

I have an '09 but if I had an '05-07 I would definitely get this grille:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Cadillac-STS-PLATINUM-Grille-/190615690097?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c61949b71#ht_2355wt_689

It gives it an upgraded but classy look. Kind of reminds me of the '08-11 grille or a DTS grille.

My thoughts, exactly,,,,,,,,,,,or it also looks similar to the ,08-12 CTS. In short, it looks like the post-07 models.

It' all question of taste, after all, come like the egg-crate look, and some like the mesh.

For me, the egg-crate style shouts, "CADILLAC."

At one time the mesh style used to resemble a Bently. Now that everybody does it, it looks like a Chrysler 300.

As you might guess, I actually preferred the 300 when it had the egg-crate grille, because -of course - it looked like a Cadillac grille.

And while I'm on the subject, I never really liked the mesh grille on the Bentley when it first appeared. I thought it looked cheap.

maiahsdad
01-24-12, 10:02 PM
My thoughts, exactly,,,,,,,,,,,or it also looks similar to the ,08-12 CTS. In short, it looks like the post-07 models. I've seen the 2012 daddy's and they are the king of cars. That new CTS wagon is the HEAT! And I guess the STS is the one they're calling the "sedan".

Anyways, I'm trying to get everything I want done underway so I'll be done.

-I think I need back rotors and pads. Ouch! Was quoted $450. New ones on the front already. Felt slight pulsation when braking on the way back to IN.

-Gotta find latest NAV map. Where? I don't know.

Windows tinted (20% Viper Tint) today.

Car gets about 300 miles per tank regardless of fuel type. Tested it yesterday and today. Sucks. Might as well use 87. I only used 93 Shell in my 99 I just sold.

-Gotta find a good deal on an aftermarket custom grille. Wish I knew of a company that designed more styles than the three same ones I keep seeing.

-wanna get a ground FX kit. Saw one last week that looked incredible! Gotta find who does that.

-this car came with no floor mats. Wish I could find STS floor mats.

-I'm still just thinking about the tinted head and taillight covers. I like the way it looks though. MacMuse's Avitar is the look I'm talking about.

ThumperPup
01-25-12, 12:16 AM
you didn't try to get anyting taken of the price of the car ? i know i thought i read you said something was noticed during driving with the brakes when you test drove it did you ever try to get that price down at all because of that ?

maiahsdad
01-25-12, 05:31 AM
you didn't try to get anyting taken of the price of the car ? i know i thought i read you said something was noticed during driving with the brakes when you test drove it did you ever try to get that price down at all because of that ?

The dad lowered the price of the car a total of $700. It's fine. Feel like I stole it. But the back brakes and rotors will set me back. Wow, that's a lot of cash.

Do any of the codes in the trunk specify what rotors? Repair guy said they all come with composite rotors. I thought they were steel. He quoted me a price for steel so they could be resurfaced when needed.

Will keep trying to get better prices. But will get it done his coming Monday one way or another. Goodbye custom grille and updated NAV disc. Dag GONE it!!!!!

ThumperPup
01-25-12, 04:26 PM
i get it they have to mark up the price to make a profit
but i don't see rotors for your car reaching more then 59.99 to 90 each each unless the shop is putting on some performance rotors or something like that
and pads like
and pads anywhere from 40-120 a set depending on what you go with

so just saying if his price is gona be paying 40 or 50 and and he marks it up to say 90 each and then he gets a set of pads for like 30 and marks them to 50 or 60 each wich is still way to much of a mark up but anyways
that leaves around 230 hes charging you in labor to change the rear pads and rotors wich my guess is like 1 hour maybe 1.5 hour job tops

id say your getting ripped off major

you could get your parts on your own for 200 i bet and have your mechanic do it with your own parts or find someone els and still save money
just saying

malatu
01-25-12, 04:36 PM
I purchased rotors and pads from a place called Frozen Rotors (i believe that is the name). Took them to my GM dealer and they installed rotors and pads (front wheels only) for less than $100. Not sure but I think it was between $60 and $80.... it's been a while. This was for my wife's car. I have a good relationship with my service rep (probably because they have a lot of my money!). That was March of 09. The pads and rotors have performed flawlessly. She's pretty hard on the brake pedal. Two pads and rotors from this company totaled $340. The rotors are cryogenicly treated during the manufacturing process. Makes them more durable resisting warping.

EChas3
01-25-12, 08:58 PM
These cars can be expected to cost more to fix than a high production volume Chevy/Ford/Dodge. You may have to hunt harder for good deals. Koz calls it the Cadillac tax. If you think it's too high, check in with an owner of another luxury car or forum.

ThumperPup
01-27-12, 09:08 PM
I forget weather IN is on the East or west coast Navi disc
but if it is East but maybe its a bit to close to IL to be on East
but if it is on east coast disc
there is one for sale here in the classafieds a 7.0 disc for 70.00 bucks if you havent alreayd found wwhat your looking for

maiahsdad
01-27-12, 09:22 PM
I forget weather IN is on the East or west coast Navi disc
but if it is East but maybe its a bit to close to IL to be on East
but if it is on east coast disc
there is one for sale here in the classafieds a 7.0 disc for 70.00 bucks if you havent alreayd found wwhat your looking for

I am 5 hrs west of U. My current disc says United Staes and Canada. It's version 1.00. I think 2003 or 2004.

I'm in the Midwest. 3 hours south of Chicago.

ThumperPup
01-28-12, 01:59 AM
sometime in 2006 i think they started putting them on 2 disc east and west because there was so much data and all

i don't know for sure i think you would have to contact GM nav disc and ask them if you need east or west living in IN i belive the west disc is the one that has IL on it so they might have IN on it also with you being so close to IL but im not sure

maiahsdad
01-28-12, 05:35 AM
I purchased rotors and pads from a place called Frozen Rotors (i believe that is the name). Took them to my GM dealer and they installed rotors and pads (front wheels only) for less than $100. Not sure but I think it was between $60 and $80.... it's been a while. This was for my wife's car. I have a good relationship with my service rep (probably because they have a lot of my money!). That was March of 09. The pads and rotors have performed flawlessly. She's pretty hard on the brake pedal. Two pads and rotors from this company totaled $340. The rotors are cryogenicly treated during the manufacturing process. Makes them more durable resisting warping.Were they steel rotors or the GM stock composite rotors? We the pads the lifetime warrantied ones?

Also, when you get lifetime pads, does this mean you have to go back to the SAME repair shop everytime you get the pads replaced? Or can you go ANYWHERE the particular pads are sold?

EChas3
01-28-12, 02:06 PM
All the maps are on both disks. POI growth forced them to 2 disks.

1BadCadSTS
01-28-12, 03:28 PM
Yea but the 2012 STS nav disc is 1 disc

maiahsdad
01-28-12, 09:33 PM
Yea but the 2012 STS nav disc is 1 disc

Will the 2012 NAV disc work in my car?

chazglenn3
01-28-12, 09:47 PM
Will the 2012 NAV disc work in my car?

Yep. You can order it from www.gmnavdisc.com but be warned...it costs $229!!! (http://www.gmnavdisc.com)

1BadCadSTS
01-29-12, 06:58 AM
It can be found cheaper

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 02:28 AM
1SG on the spare cover. Tuscany leather, Eucalyptus wood, 235/50R/18's on front and 245/50R/18's on back. NAV DVD is version 1 though. Think it's 2004 version it says. A little pulsation when coming to stops. Looked at rotars. A little rust from sitting. A light roaring when coming to stop. Sounds like its the 50's and that Dunlop treat. Runs good.

Check the stickers on the drivers doors for the correct tire size. I believe the proper rear tire size is 255/45/18 not 255/50/18.

Aren't you the one with the poor mileage as well? This will throw off your DIC, will cause extra strain on the engine /transmission and can cause a clearance issue because that tire is bigger than the OE tire size, i.e. larger overall diameter.

maiahsdad
02-24-12, 07:06 PM
Check the stickers on the drivers doors for the correct tire size. I believe the proper rear tire size is 255/45/18 not 255/50/18.

Aren't you the one with the poor mileage as well? This will throw off your DIC, will cause extra strain on the engine /transmission and can cause a clearance issue because that tire is bigger than the OE tire size, i.e. larger overall diameter.

Right. I was looking at the sticker the day I purchased the car in the pouring rain that day. I typed it wrong out their in the rain. I was trysting info from the forum before buying the car. It's 1SG.

EChas3
02-24-12, 07:50 PM
If your tires are oversize, you're actually going farther & faster than odometer, etc. reflects. It doesn't take all that much to make a difference.

cadillacmike68
02-25-12, 12:37 AM
If your tires are oversize, you're actually going farther & faster than odometer, etc. reflects. It doesn't take all that much to make a difference.

That's what i meant to add. which just mean a physical check is needed more than ever on his mileage. this time using the mile markers of the interstate if he has the wrong size tires.

And that's not unfathomable; a 50 series tire will cost less than a 45 series of the same width. So it's possible the dealer said "close enough"

255/45/18 is the same OD as 235/50/18 (diff by .2 in)

However, after checking tire rack and tire monkey, TM has no tires listed in 255/50/18 and TR only has 2 Pirellis at over 450 ea, so you most likely have the correct 255/45/18 tires on your STS. Enjoy your ride, and get back to us on the gas mileage.

I like the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum KU27 (http://www.tiremonkey.com/Tires/Size/255/45-18?address=33607&radius=20&page=1&index=0&sort=0&mP=0&xP=2147483647&mD=0&xD=2147483647&mW=0&xW=2147483647&mV=0&xV=2147483647&mDu=0&xDu=2147483647&mPe=0&xPe=2147483647&br=all&sp=all&ld=all&sw=all&ci=0%2C9#)s that are on my STS. They have a nice raised edge where they meet the tire to minimize instances of curb rash! When my wife's Vouges wear out she's getting these Kumhos - if we haven't traded it in yet.