: 1963 cadillac, 390 does not start

CABLKCADDY
01-22-12, 09:07 PM
Hi.
I have 63 caddy and I left it in my garage for last 3 years. Today, I pulled it out and tried to start the motor. First, I got a new battery and I used starter fluid spray and turned engine. About trying 3 mins, I realized that maybe there was no fuel in a tank, so I got 2 gallons and fill it in my tank. I tried about another 5 mins turning it but I did not see any fuel coming to fuel filer. Since it was for 3 years, I think it may take longer than 5 mins but I am afraid that I may screw up my starter if I keep turning it over and
over...... Now, I am not sure if fuel pump is not working... Is there anybody out there who can give me
suggestion what to do next? Please help.

deVille33
01-23-12, 11:16 AM
If you have an old vacuum gauge, the other side of it's scale is for fuel pump pressure. Break your fuel line connection at the carb inlet and hook the gauge to it. I believe the pressure should be around 6 - 6.5 lbs. pressure. Today's fuel does not set well for long periods of time, even with a stabilizer. I had a truck that sat for 2 years , and when I tried to start it the fuel wouldn't make it to the carb. I disconnected the fuel line to the fuel tank, stuck the line in a container of fuel and was able to draw the fuel and start the truck. I pulled the inlet from the tank, and the outlet line had coagulated fuel clogging the line. I used a drill bit and cleaned the hardened fuel deposit out of the line and was able to start the fuel system back into service.

cadillac_al
01-23-12, 12:57 PM
Whenever I have any vehicle that has sat more than a month I will pour 1 shot of gas down the carb and make life easier for the starter; not a fan of starting fluid though. If the vehicle does not even try to fire with a shot of gas it may not have fire. If it fires for a second, I will give it another shot until the gas starts getting to the fuel filter (if it has one). It should run on its own once the fuel filter gets filled up.

CABLKCADDY
01-23-12, 02:03 PM
If you have an old vacuum gauge, the other side of it's scale is for fuel pump pressure. Break your fuel line connection at the carb inlet and hook the gauge to it. I believe the pressure should be around 6 - 6.5 lbs. pressure. Today's fuel does not set well for long periods of time, even with a stabilizer. I had a truck that sat for 2 years , and when I tried to start it the fuel wouldn't make it to the carb. I disconnected the fuel line to the fuel tank, stuck the line in a container of fuel and was able to draw the fuel and start the truck. I pulled the inlet from the tank, and the outlet line had coagulated fuel clogging the line. I used a drill bit and cleaned the hardened fuel deposit out of the line and was able to start the fuel system back into service.

Thank you for writing me. I will go to parts shop and find fuel pump pressure gauge and try to get gauge hooked up, but if fuel line is clogged, then I assume there is no pressure. I will also check fuel line from tank as well. Again, thank you!!

----------

Okay, I will try that method as well. Thanks.