: Axle Ratio (V4P Trailer Towing Option): 3.42:1

ShadowLvr400
11-10-04, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if the 3.42 gear in the tow package is posi or not? Been trying to hunt this down.

HotRodSaint
11-10-04, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know if the 3.42 gear in the tow package is posi or not? Been trying to hunt this down.

That's a negative big Ben. Over. :D

ShadowLvr400
11-11-04, 10:21 AM
Damn, so when I make the switch to a 3.42 with posi, I have some extra programming work, dont I? (Yes, found kits for pretty cheap that are designed for high power apps.)

DaveSmed
11-11-04, 10:46 AM
Curious, what factors would you need to account for with the addition of a posi? The gears should be of major concern, and you can get that corrected through OEM, due to the availability of the same ratio factory.

ShadowLvr400
11-11-04, 10:53 AM
Actually, I guess I wont have to worry, will I? The Posi factor isnt controlled by the PCM or anything, is it? (And for the gears, LT1 Edit.)

Night Wolf
11-11-04, 01:59 PM
I don't see how the ECM has anything to do with Posi....

juiceE
11-11-04, 04:00 PM
(Yes, found kits for pretty cheap that are designed for high power apps.)

what up!?! can u share some info with us folks in debt :D

FASSTWOOD
11-11-04, 07:19 PM
If you already have 3.42's and are replacing with 3.42's and a posi, nothing has changed in the eyes of the pcm. If you have 2.56 or 2.93"s (broughams)
then you will have to reprogram the pcm. If you just leave the pcm alone your speedo will be off. If you use lt1 edit to calibrated the speed you nust also change the tranny's shift points or the car will be reving a lot higher to make the shift criteria its programmed for....

scurling
11-11-04, 07:29 PM
Ok, indulge my ignorance, so why not just stay with the factory gearing (with the 2.56 or 2.93"s broughams) and install the Posi unit?
Are you looking for higher rpms which the taller gearing will provide?

ShadowLvr400
11-11-04, 07:52 PM
I have the 2.56, and gears that tall handicap the accel. A 3.42 gives better mechanical advantage to the torque, letting the car accelerate quicker.

The version of LT1 edit I've seen does allow you to recalibrate for different gear ratios, so I assume it'll cover the shift points too. As for where this cheaper posi was, I'm going to have to jump to my other comp to find it again. Located through the Impala SS forums.

FASSTWOOD
11-11-04, 07:59 PM
I got mine from dan at www.clearimageautomotive.com also check www.cmotorsports.com. I went with the 3.73 gears

carguy16
11-11-04, 10:10 PM
Hey ShadowLuvr, I'm glad I finally got my '94 Fleetwood, I have 2.93 gearing in mine, while yours has 2.53.

The 2.93 gearing is standard for the Brougham package, but since you didnt get that you got stuck with the 2.53s.

Fastwood covered the PCM/posi, no need to worry. As far as I'm concerned, having two wheel's drive at the same time wont affect anything, but changing upping your gear ratio's probably will. I REALY REALLY REALLY want to get a POSI rear end on my car, for performance and safety. I drove the car for the 2nd time yesterday in the rain, I was making a right turn, my tire started spinning and the car fish tailed to the right, traction control kicked on and then I had to slowly accelerate to avoid fish tailing again. Of course, when I pulled out, I probably had the gas pedal 1/4th the way down...

I'm satisfied with the power gear's I have now, and I dont plan on changing them out any time soon, I just wanna get that posi rear end.

EDIT: Check this out, its got 3.73 gears, mentions company names.its a Caprice Lt-1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4501716043&category=6169&sspagename=rvi:1:2)

scurling
11-12-04, 02:09 PM
Fasstwood:

Do you know the Eaton part no. for the Posi you got from Clearimageauto. I see they offer one specific unit, but they don't show the Eaton PN.

thanks

lux hauler
11-12-04, 04:49 PM
Hey ShadowLuvr, I'm glad I finally got my '94 Fleetwood, I have 2.93 gearing in mine, while yours has 2.53.

I REALY REALLY REALLY want to get a POSI rear end on my car, for performance and safety. I drove the car for the 2nd time yesterday in the rain, I was making a right turn, my tire started spinning and the car fish tailed to the right, traction control kicked on and then I had to slowly accelerate to avoid fish tailing again. Of course, when I pulled out, I probably had the gas pedal 1/4th the way down...

Just an FYI.....In this particular situation, a posi would have probably only made things worse. A posi will set a cornering car sideways in a heartbeat if it breaks traction.

ssstealth
11-12-04, 05:46 PM
Yes!

The Eaton posi and 3.42 gears work well with the car. The PCM will have to be programmed if your original gears were something else, but the good news is that the traction control and ABS systems have NO PROBLEM coexisting with the posi unit. If anything the posi actually helps the traction control do a better job.

DO IT!!!

RBraczyk
11-12-04, 08:17 PM
I have to say, with having 3.73 gears, is that your launch is far greater, your second gear isn't very fast, and then after that you move.

ocjmakaveli
11-13-04, 10:14 PM
I have to say, with having 3.73 gears, is that your launch is far greater, your second gear isn't very fast, and then after that you move.

LMFAO I've never quite heard it put so well

i agree with the above for the most part unless your 0-60 time is a major/only priority 3.73s/low low gears are a little too much 3.42 are borderline though

Is a posi really necessary for 3.42s hmm i would suggest getting better tires and wider for sure this at the least will help your traction with both going and most importantly STOPPING<-- mostly overlooked i would like a posi for wintertime but in the summer i feel ok without a posi then again if you plan to keep stock width tires a posi is a must.Think about it and choose wisely or if you can...... do it all... :thumbsup:

RBraczyk
11-13-04, 10:26 PM
Posi helps a lot in more adverse conditions. My truck almost pulls the front wheels off the ground on dry pavement. Thats stock with 3.73 gears and limited slip. My wheels are hard to chirp because of the size of the tires, but you should have no problem having a similar weight vehicle and smaller tires. Posi is great in winter. I don't need 4WD most of the time.