: Not under Warranty??

Grunder
01-21-12, 09:33 AM
Recently went to the local Caddy dealer to address some issues that I thought should / might be covered under our CPO warranty on our '08 STS. A couple were, but most were not. So I'll try to fix them myself. Can someone tell me how you would get the pass side lighted vanity mirror out of the sun visor? The flip-up plastic door keeps falling out - so I'll either try to fix the door, OR I'll exchange HERS for mine so she's happy.

Thanks,

John

1BadCadSTS
01-21-12, 09:43 AM
Get a visor off ebay they are cheap

RippyPartsDept
01-21-12, 10:46 AM
there is a TSB on the sunvisor door
you used to have to replace the whole sunvisor (pretty expensive)
but GM eventually made just the mirror door available

it's pretty simple from what i can tell quickly looking over the bulletin
if you can PM me your email or just email me i will send you the TSB with the instructions

EChas3
01-21-12, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised they wouldn't cover it. Have you tried another dealer and/or escalated to the Cadillac Zone Rep? Even CPO's after the reorganization (04/2009) should cover known issues.

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 02:41 AM
The dealer should have covered that visor mirror door (problem is the little end tabs break off). My local Orlando dealer did, and i didn't even buy the car there.

Thanks Chris for clearing up that mystery.

KRSTS
02-24-12, 10:07 AM
Recently went to the local Caddy dealer to address some issues that I thought should / might be covered under our CPO warranty on our '08 STS. A couple were, but most were not. So I'll try to fix them myself. Can someone tell me how you would get the pass side lighted vanity mirror out of the sun visor? The flip-up plastic door keeps falling out - so I'll either try to fix the door, OR I'll exchange HERS for mine so she's happy.

Thanks,

John

I have a 2008 3.6 DI CPO and everything is covered except wear item like brakes and tires. Your's should be no different. Find another dealer, and report that one to Cadillac.

RippyPartsDept
02-24-12, 01:27 PM
CPO does not cover everything that the bumper-to-bumper covers

here's the list of what is and isn't covered by CPO
http://www.cadillac.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles/warranty.html

EChas3
02-24-12, 02:13 PM
Wow, that's the first time I saw the new terms. The pre-April 2009 CPO covered most of those exclusions.

RippyPartsDept
02-24-12, 02:16 PM
i think the switch happened in 2007 actually ... it was in the works pre-bankruptcy

EChas3
02-24-12, 02:59 PM
I purchased my car in December 2008 and the terms were 'same as original warranty'. I think the dealer closures & reorganization was just a few months later.

RippyPartsDept
02-24-12, 03:31 PM
6-year or 7-year?

KRSTS
02-24-12, 05:53 PM
i think the switch happened in 2007 actually ... it was in the works pre-bankruptcy

Wow GM sure screwed the customer with that one. I purchased my 2008 in Mar 2008 and it is under the original CPO, not the near worthless POC you described.

EChas3
02-24-12, 08:00 PM
The original CPO that KR & I both got in 2008 added 2 years (& 50,000 miles) to the OEM Warranty and would therefore might be considered a six-year extended warranty. They were a great deal at the time.

The CPO program changed for used cars purchased April 2009 & later. It was still inexpensive but no longer covered everything. In my case, I knew I was going to keep the car so I added an aftermarket 96-month rider. I've got limited coverage to 8 years from the in-service date, September 2013.

cadillacmike68
02-24-12, 11:03 PM
Come to think of it my STS is still under the original warranty being less than 4 yrs old. The new CPO is not worthless, but it clearly excludes most of the interior & body. At least the stereo & nav is not part of that exclusion or is it???

However to look at the other side, many folks trash their interiors and then expect a warranty to cover their misuse / abuse of the car. Also, many people leave their cars outside in the hot sun (very hot down here all year round) and let it bake continuously. Then they want the weatherstripping & seals & baked off trim to be replaced 5 years later- under warranty.

RippyPartsDept
02-25-12, 09:33 AM
ok i stand corrected ... it was 2009 not 2007 ...

MacMuse
02-25-12, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I slipped in under the wire with my Feb 2009 purchase and got the good CPO. And I understand why they altered the plan. My dealers have charged over $6K against my CPO over the last year or so.

I won big time.