: I don't get it ?

studio caddi
01-21-12, 02:56 AM
Why is their no awd version of the CTS-V ? I really don't understand why they don't offer it with awd if they want it to truly be a world class competitor .

shchow
01-21-12, 09:12 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the target was BMW M.
They have always been rear drive cars.
If the goal is to create a superior "sensory" driving experience, IMHO rear drive provides this.
If the goal is to create a superior track performer, all wheel drive would be better.

M5eater
01-21-12, 09:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the target was BMW M.
They have always been rear drive cars.
If the goal is to create a superior "sensory" driving experience, IMHO rear drive provides this.
If the goal is to create a superior track performer, buy an Evo.

I really don't understand why they don't offer it with awd if they want it to truly be a world class competitor .
umm.. yeah.. here's an example for you.
The C6 RS6 has;
quattro AWD--
Huge Ceramic brakes
massive 580hp twin turbo V10
200MPH capability
-and-
is slower than the V2 and F10 M5 around the ring-- infact it's only 4 seconds faster than an E60, which ironicly is the same distance the F10 has on the V2.
you want something that could embarrass a corvette? Take the suggestion above, and enjoy the single stage paint.

Trapspeed
01-21-12, 10:36 AM
...if they want it to truly be a world class competitor .

Isn't it already?

M5eater
01-21-12, 11:04 AM
Isn't it already?
Somone's just been drinking some crazy juice it would appear.

neuronbob
01-21-12, 12:40 PM
And why would GM add another 200+ pounds to an already heavy car? The only advantages of AWD are better traction off the line at the drag strip, and for people like me who live in wintry climates......though honestly with winter tires, Stabilitrak, and knowing how to drive, I get around just fine in my RWD V. My colleagues think I'm nuts, but I have never gotten stuck on the road, ever, in the three years I've owned my car.

Oh, and the V is already a world-class vehicle. :) Or so says most of the automotive press, anyway.

hutch66
01-21-12, 01:05 PM
7:59 at the Ring seems world class to me. :thumbsup:

tedcmiller
01-21-12, 07:32 PM
I think the added weight is the issue. Another differential, another drive shaft, plus some other things puts the pounds on fast. AWD is nice for those folks where it snows a lot but is kind of superfluous for those of us in the warmer climates. I am like neuronbob, except that I have been driving the rear wheel drive CTS-Vs since they came out in 2004.

GM-4-LIFE
01-21-12, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't want AWD. The car is too damn heavy as it is. Plus, GM would have to absorb the R&D costs of doing an AWD version of a 556 HP car by making sure the additional driveshaft and transfer case are bulletproof under abusive conditions. With the car being a low production vehicle, it just doesn't seem worth the extra costs for GM. GM would have to charge a ton of money more for an AWD version and then nobody would buy it.

needspeed
01-21-12, 09:42 PM
If I wanted AWD I would have bought a GT-R. Love high power RWD cars......Steve

M5eater
01-21-12, 09:52 PM
If I wanted AWD I would have bought a GT-R. Love high power RWD cars......Steve
If you want a midsized AWD super sedan, there's nothing wrong with an RS6..

needspeed
01-21-12, 11:26 PM
If you want a midsized AWD super sedan, there's nothing wrong with an RS6..

True, but not germane to the original posters statement......Steve

Speedtrapped
01-21-12, 11:29 PM
Amen M5 eater....had the beast out in the snow today(never bought winter tires for the Vagon), and I put her thru some aggressive maneuvers, 1st snow fall this year....sotto zeros and AWD together with 620hp equals fun!

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-22-12, 01:49 AM
I wouldn't want AWD. The car is too damn heavy as it is. Plus, GM would have to absorb the R&D costs of doing an AWD version of a 556 HP car by making sure the additional driveshaft and transfer case are bulletproof under abusive conditions. With the car being a low production vehicle, it just doesn't seem worth the extra costs for GM. GM would have to charge a ton of money more for an AWD version and then nobody would buy it.

Ditto that, plus the car would need another at least 15% more power to compensate for all the gear loss. AWD, as 4x4 owners know, rob much power and their counterpart RWD vehicles are far more agile and speedy. But then 4x4 pick-up trucks are a totally different animal - the RWD versions will get stuck on a snotty tissue. Without very sophisticated traction control in an AWD vehicle, one wheel can slip and rob all traction. Jeep has been aware of this and the new GC has a system that they have perfected - electronic traction control. More cumbersome mechanism and do-da stuff.... And if the CTS-V isn't world class, someone needs to get out more and look around - and try paying attention too.

----------

amen m5 eater....had the beast out in the snow today(never bought winter tires for the vagon), and i put her thru some aggressive maneuvers, 1st snow fall this year....sotto zeros and awd together with 620hp equals fun!

huh?

M5eater
01-22-12, 09:27 AM
huh?
He has a C5 RS6, read the sig :P

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-22-12, 09:28 AM
He has a C5 RS6, read the sig :P

Ho Ho-OK

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 08:06 PM
The OP just likes to go around and question everything about Cadillac even when they are doing things perfectly...

Squirlz
01-22-12, 10:01 PM
I was at a car show admiring a nice '67 Eldo, talking Caddies with another spectator. I mentioned I had the V on order and he said "I looked at those but there's no AWD and it snows here." All I could do was shake my head. This guy was much older than me, certainly old enough to know better you'd think.

studio caddi
01-23-12, 05:03 AM
"I looked at those but there's no AWD and it snows here."
You are not getting my point . The above quote is what I keep hearing from everyone who I know who has considered a CTS-V . I also keep hearing that the Audi is better because they offer awd and therefore are world-class unlike Cadillac . So wouldn't it be better if Cadillac either offered the CTS-V with awd or did something to better educate the public with their advertising so that ignorant car buyers knew that the electronic aids in the CTS-V are really good at letting the car be driven in the snow with little traction issues ? I drove a CTS-V in the snow and it handled fine but nobody I know who is considering buying this car ever believes me and always says it's not possible then they buy an Audi with Quatro instead .

neuronbob
01-23-12, 05:11 AM
^^^
I suppose that all it would take is one ad with a V (probably a wagon) in the snow, on snow tires, to fix that perception. This car is really just fine in the winter.

thebigjimsho
01-23-12, 12:26 PM
"I looked at those but there's no AWD and it snows here."
You are not getting my point . The above quote is what I keep hearing from everyone who I know who has considered a CTS-V . I also keep hearing that the Audi is better because they offer awd and therefore are world-class unlike Cadillac . So wouldn't it be better if Cadillac either offered the CTS-V with awd or did something to better educate the public with their advertising so that ignorant car buyers knew that the electronic aids in the CTS-V are really good at letting the car be driven in the snow with little traction issues ? I drove a CTS-V in the snow and it handled fine but nobody I know who is considering buying this car ever believes me and always says it's not possible then they buy an Audi with Quatro instead .

So all your friend morons don't consider BMW, Mercedes or Lexus world class, either? Let them be idiots.

M5eater
01-23-12, 12:54 PM
So all your friend morons don't consider BMW, Mercedes or Lexus world class, either? Let them be idiots.
I would have to agree, let them eat cake.

The above quote is what I keep hearing from everyone who I know who has considered a CTS-V
you hear it maybe. I don't, never have. Any person I would consider worthy of ownership knows better. Those that dont are probally only into the car for as long as the lease anyway. Besides, without the extra AWD, the V2 still manages to sell well.

http://carfanaticsforum.com/thread-5684.html

V Wagon
01-25-12, 02:42 PM
The people that go buy an AWD Audi are probably typically buying A's and not RS's right? They could have just as easily gone out and bought a CTS4 and had an AWD Caddy since they decided they weren't in the market for a high performance car anyway.

cdog533
01-25-12, 03:10 PM
Dude, it's not traction control that helps in the snow, it's TIRES.

Any 2WD car with SNOW tires (traction control or not) > A 4WD car with all-season tires

The OP is right, it does infuriate me that people are dumb and think that you need 4WD in snow. 2WD is fine in snow WITH THE RIGHT SNOW TIRE. My CTS-V1 with snow tires was a beast in the snow, would go through basically anything.

But if someone is that dumb about cars, they probably aren't a CTS-V buyer anyway. But he is right, 4WD sells a lot of cars around here because the concept of switching tires for the winter or just running all-seasons seems to elude people.

Speedtrapped
01-25-12, 03:29 PM
my .02, actually worth about a penny....the RS6 I bought a while ago with the intention of tracking and screwing around....The only reason why I dont drive in snow in the Vagon is cause i was 2 cheap to spend $ on winter tires, as I had a set for the RS6. I love the way the Vagon handles on the road....the RS6 had a stock DRC(dynamic ride control) system, which was mechanically controlled hydraulic fluid dampening system.....03', so it was full of flaws, and had to be campaigned for repairs3,4 x's. Most RS6 owners swap into coil overs(as I did)...the V's handling is flawless, and I whip the wagon around into corners, I am really suprised how balanced it is. I had a CL65 AMG, it was awful in the turns, too much understeer-btw the RS6 sufferred from that(hotchiss sways fixed)...the only thing I wanted to change on the V was add more power, that has more to do with my speed addiction.

----------

my .02, actually worth about a penny....the RS6 I bought a while ago with the intention of tracking and screwing around....The only reason why I dont drive in snow in the Vagon is cause i was 2 cheap to spend $ on winter tires, as I had a set for the RS6. I love the way the Vagon handles on the road....the RS6 had a stock DRC(dynamic ride control) system, which was mechanically controlled hydraulic fluid dampening system.....03', so it was full of flaws, and had to be campaigned for repairs3,4 x's. Most RS6 owners swap into coil overs(as I did)...the V's handling is flawless, and I whip the wagon around into corners, I am really suprised how balanced it is. I had a CL65 AMG, it was awful in the turns, too much understeer-btw the RS6 sufferred from that(hotchiss sways fixed)...the only thing I wanted to change on the V was add more power, that has more to do with my speed addiction.

TTuned
01-25-12, 04:44 PM
Everything Ive seen, Audi is always the slowest in its class. Nice cars though, former owner myself, but still last in performance among its competition.

Why no AWD? Simple, they dont want you trashing the car in the snow :) Alcantara would be totally destroyed.

GM wants you to buy a 2001 blazer from a toyota dealer in summer when gas is $.50 higher and everyone flips out but in turn drops $30k on a hybrid. :cookoo:
Then move to AZ drive it everyday, enjoy it, and post the blazer on ebay for sale. Use that money for mods :)

But thats just me :bigroll: