: Powder coat clear coat

Danwoods
01-19-12, 06:43 AM
Hey guys

I just had my stock wheels powder coated in a flat black. Heres a picture. What you guys think?

My question is can I clearcoat over the powder coat and still be flat black? I would like to add
some vinyl lettering and clear over the vinyl to make sure it stays but I don't want to make the
flat black glossy.

Thanks

RVO27
01-19-12, 10:41 AM
They do have flat clearcoat but it will add a little bit of shine. I also havn't seen it in a rattle can application.

EdmundGTP
01-19-12, 12:01 PM
I honestly would not bother. If you properly prep the surface before applying the vinyl it should adhere well and look good for years, provided you don't abuse your wheels and wash them carefully. Just think of those applied vinyl racing stripes that they put on a lot of the newer "retro" cars now (Challenger comes to mind). There's no extra clear over the tops of those and they hold up fine.

The better option, if you ask me, would be to buy extras or have numerous duplicates available of whatever graphic you wish to put on there, and if/when one gets dinged up and starts to peel, you just replace it. It takes a LOT of clear to fully bury a decal to the point that it looks good.

RVO27
01-19-12, 12:05 PM
I honestly would not bother. If you properly prep the surface before applying the vinyl it should adhere well and look good for years, provided you don't abuse your wheels and wash them carefully. The better option, if you ask me, would be to buy extras or have numerous duplicates available of whatever graphic you wish to put on there, and if/when one gets dinged up and starts to peel, you just replace it. It takes a LOT of clear to fully bury a decal to the point that it looks good.

:yeah:
Very good points. I agree.

Ny's Caddy
01-19-12, 01:34 PM
Looks good as is. Where did you get them powder coated & how much? i ask cause i know your in my area and im getting ready to do mine

Danwoods
01-19-12, 05:02 PM
Looks good as is. Where did you get them powder coated & how much? i ask cause i know your in my area and im getting ready to do mine

My next door neighbor owns a powder coat business. They are still moving in and i only met him a couple times. Hell, i dont even remember his name. He said to load them in his truck and next eve they were on my front porch done. I still havnt seen him and we never discussed price. Next time i see him i will find out.

----------

Thanks for the info guys. Think i will pass on the clear as you suggest.

----------

Btw... The IPhone app for this site is killer!!

CadzillaTN
01-19-12, 05:28 PM
Don't touch them, they look good.

odthetruth
01-19-12, 06:55 PM
They look great. Welcome to the flat black wheels club. lol

CadzillaTN
01-19-12, 07:06 PM
Do you guys with black rims hand paint the weights when these are balanced? I imagine you have to tell them to take extra care not to chip them removing the old weights..

Danwoods
01-20-12, 12:21 AM
Tape weights on the inside edge i imagine

Ny's Caddy
01-20-12, 10:46 AM
very nice if I was you i would start dissasembeling pieces and they would magicaly apear in your neighbors truck..lmao please let me know the info or email me please barajazm@gmail.com I have a few shops lined up but i am waiting for there down time so i could make shure i get them back in a day.having a other shop lined up would be nice.. We wanna see pics of the ride

My next door neighbor owns a powder coat business. They are still moving in and i only met him a couple times. Hell, i dont even remember his name. He said to load them in his truck and next eve they were on my front porch done. I still havnt seen him and we never discussed price. Next time i see him i will find out.

----------

Thanks for the info guys. Think i will pass on the clear as you suggest.

----------

Btw... The IPhone app for this site is killer!!

PISNUOFF
01-23-12, 07:31 PM
Do you guys with black rims hand paint the weights when these are balanced? I imagine you have to tell them to take extra care not to chip them removing the old weights..

That's what I do.