: Power Steering and tracking the car

Somefun
01-19-12, 06:19 AM
Guy's has anyone flushed out their steering and refilled with Amsoil? My steering feels screwy when I track the car and i was thinking this could help? It drives fine but when your hammering it under heavy G loads the steering gets real heavy and doesn't feel connected real well. Does anyone have the same issue?

rjoffe
01-19-12, 09:09 AM
Most of us who track have flushed their PS with higher temp fluids, not necessarily Amsoil, I use RedLine.

Somefun
01-19-12, 09:17 AM
Most of us who track have flushed their PS with higher temp fluids, not necessarily Amsoil, I use RedLine.

How do flush it out suck it dry add in and run it then do it again? Did you notice any differance? When I'm under load and heavy G's the streeing and its mostly when I'm coming down hill the wheel feels real strange....Hopping this my change that feeling.

M5eater
01-19-12, 09:23 AM

please do elaborate, I would have thought since it's a mineral fluid and we have a beefy P/S cooler anyway this wasen't necessary.

rjoffe
01-19-12, 12:09 PM
Sorry, V1 vs V2 issue :).

But I would still replace the stock fluid with something that is better designed. As for flushing, I'm not sure of the procedure on the V2, on the V1 it was simply remove the return line, plug the other end, and place it into a catch can. Keep filling the reservoir with new fluid while having someone turn wheel from lock to lock (raise wheels) about a half dozen times.

Cheap enough to try it out, and see if it resolves the issue.

Again sorry for the V1 vs V2 confusion :)

Club Malibu
01-19-12, 07:52 PM
How do flush it out suck it dry add in and run it then do it again?

My mechanic has this real nifty $5000 Snap-On machine that does auto tranny fluid swaps and power steering fluid swaps. For the power steering, he puts the car on a lift and elevates it just enough to have the wheels in the air; you can do this with jackstands. Then two clear tubes are inserted in the power steering reservoir. One tube sucks out old black dirty fluid. Not totally all the fluid at once, but just some out of the reservoir. Then he stops that and then pumps in new fluid. Then with the engine running you turn the steering wheel back and forth lock to lock about five-six times to mix up the old and new fluid together. Keep repeating that until when you suck out the "old" fluid, it looks as clean as the new fluid. Took about 10 times and 2 quarts.

He did this on my 2000 Malibu with REDLINE when the car hit 60K miles. Old power steering fluid was black as coal. Three weeks ago (car just hit 102K miles), the plastic power steering pump pulley broke off and I put on a new power steering pump (and a new belt). The REDLINE fluid was still super bright red after 40K miles. Synthetics rule.

I plan on doing this myself to my V this summer.

M5eater
01-19-12, 09:25 PM
So the fact that the V2 uses a mineral fluid and not ATF like most PS systems isn't an issue? It just would seem suspicious to me that the redline product for example, specifically states it's acceptable for use in systems that use ATF. Our system isn't one of those.

PMac
01-20-12, 12:41 AM
I as at the track today, and my Vagon saw a few laps. To be honest, the damn thing was throwing me around so much, that I was using the steering wheel as much for structural support as for directional input, so I'm not sure I would have noticed any heaviness.

Staggeringly capable for a 2-tons-with-my-fat-ass-in-it family car. Much more balanced than the reviews have generally said, even with Stabilitrack fully off. If you have any experience with powerful RWD cars, and the merest hint of sensitivity with your throttle inputs, it stays nicely neutral all the way around the track.

M5eater
01-20-12, 07:26 AM
I as at the track today, and my Vagon saw a few laps. To be honest, the damn thing was throwing me around so much, that I was using the steering wheel as much for structural support as for directional input, so I'm not sure I would have noticed any heaviness.

LOL, that's how it goes without tons of seat time.

PMac
01-20-12, 12:06 PM
LOL, that's how it goes without tons of seat time.

I only have 800 miles on the Vagon, so I really just wanted to see how it does when you push it a bit. I have a Panoz GTRA for a track car, and the funny thing is that driving them back to back gave me a real appreciation of just how refined the drivetrain is on the V, and how perfectly weighted the controls are. Also, the brakes are fantastic. The Panoz wears the same Brembos as the Ferrari F40, weighs about 2,500 lbs, and rides on R-compounds. With all that, the V absolutely handed the Panoz its ass in braking, and that just shouldn't be possible. Truthfully, I think there's a problem with the Panoz brakes, but still, when I used my usual braking points (and the V gets relatively close in speed down the straights to the Panoz), I was way-overslowed by the time I got to turn-in, and I usually trail-brake quite a bit... Stunning car.