: Recaro Seat Comfort Issues - Is it just me?

Austin V Guy
01-18-12, 10:14 PM
I bought a new Crystal Red '11 V Coupe in late December and am loving the car overall, but have a problem with the Recaro seats. It's not the rocking issue, but something different. The seats clearly have a lot of adjustments, and I think I understand them all. That said, in the seat back about 1/3 of the way up my back it feels like one of the seat bladders is filled since it pushes into my back. It's not the bottom of the back or high up on the back, it's not the side or thigh bolsters. It's lower back but not all the way down. I have played with the rocker switches (side/thigh bolsters) and the 4 way round switch which controls the back, but nothing "deflates" that one area. It's very uncomfortable and pushes my back out far enough, the my rear end can't even be pushed back enough to touch the seat back. Actually, at this point, I would rather have the basic seats if this is the way the recaro's are.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Oh yeah, I have a bit of the rocking issue too, but I can live with that.

Thanks,
Steve

baabootoo
01-18-12, 11:03 PM
You must have the lumbar misadjusted, it pushes in and out. You'll get it!

alex310
01-19-12, 02:40 AM
I know people are reporting back pains with the Recaro's I guess I'm the only one who is getting back pains with the regular seats, just picked up a 2012 CTS-V Coupe didn't get the Recaro's figuring what's the point, but these seats are killing my back. Let me know if you want to trade, I would put cash ontop of the trade.

EVIL_C5
01-19-12, 07:28 AM
It must be just me, because I find them to be the most comfortable seat I have ever had in a car. I am able to drive for hours with no pain or discomfort unlike other cars I have owned. it does take quite some time to find the sweet spot, but when you do, its certainly worth it to me. at 6'2" and about 210lbs, I suppose I fit into the larger than average person sitting in them, and can see where a larger person might have issues. My wife hates them because of the headrest pushing her head forward, so if she has her hair up, it causes issues for her.

the only thing I have noticed on them is a very slight squeak as you go over some bumps.

Dogbreath
01-19-12, 09:36 AM
No issues with mine at all. No squeaks, no rocking. I love the fact that on a long drive I can change the lumbar support to different spots and hardness. Admittedly it does take time to get them dialed in, but once you do they are really very comfortable.

tedcmiller
01-19-12, 01:37 PM
I have the standard seats and I love them for short and long trips. I didn't get Recaro's because they are too hard to get into and out of and all the negative comments that have been made about them in this forum. The way I figure it, those who like the Recaro's are suffering from what I call the "Mercedes" syndrome (not being willing to admit to having spent a lot of extra money for little or no extra performance) or they just like to push buttons.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-19-12, 02:48 PM
Steve,
It sounds like it may be the lumbar. On page 3-7 and 3-8 of your owners manual it states how to change the lumbar. Let us know if this fixes your issue or not.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Club Malibu
01-19-12, 07:36 PM
To Austin V Guy,

Try the passenger seat and see if it's the same.

litig8r187
01-19-12, 08:52 PM
I'm in Georgetown all the time. My daughter goes to SU. You can try mine out and see if you have the same problem.

Austin V Guy
01-19-12, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Cadillac Cust Svc;2835224]Steve,
It sounds like it may be the lumbar. On page 3-7 and 3-8 of your owners manual it states how to change the lumbar. Let us know if this fixes your issue or not.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service[/QUOTE

Breanne, Thx I'll go review that. I am taking the car in this saturday after talking with my salesman. They want to take a look but I will check the manual again to make sure I haven't missed something.

Club Malibu,

Good idea, and I'm going out to give that a try now.

Litig8tr187,

Thanks and I may take you up on that.

Also, I'm 6'7" so I am clearly in the height range outside of what the seats were probably designed for, but I don't think that's an issue with this. I will report back after taking the car in and let you know if there was anything real going on.

Thanks for the comments.
Steve

jwa999
01-19-12, 10:58 PM
yes, I had the same problem... empty all the bladders by pressing the rear button and then fill up the lower bladder by pushing the bottom button.
I've had the car for 3 years now and it will get better over time. but every couple of days i have to re-inflate the lower bladder.
When I first got it, the middle part just kept pushing against my back, it was ridiculous. I like how the other 2 bolster buttons work, but the back is a little off from the start.
I actually took me a few months to find my balance in the car. Driving the car instead of being driven...

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-20-12, 10:04 AM
Steve,
Let us know if it ended up being the lumbar, or what the dealership says.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Nutz
01-20-12, 10:44 AM
Steve, your wife is right, there are many debates on the comparisons between stock seats and Recaros but the headrests on the Recaros are definitely at a more awkward angle compared to the base seats.

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 07:43 PM
I have the standard seats and I love them for short and long trips. I didn't get Recaro's because they are too hard to get into and out of and all the negative comments that have been made about them in this forum. The way I figure it, those who like the Recaro's are suffering from what I call the "Mercedes" syndrome (not being willing to admit to having spent a lot of extra money for little or no extra performance) or they just like to push buttons.

Either you're instigating or you're clueless. I'll go with clueless...

SecretWeapon
01-23-12, 09:09 AM
Took a few weeks to get the Recaro's figured out but now they fit like a glove. Number 1 rule: deflate everything and then start from there.

needspeed
01-23-12, 03:34 PM
I am really happy with mine and find them very comfortable........Steve

SilveRT8
01-23-12, 11:30 PM
Before ordering my 12 V-wagon, the dealer lent me a 3.6 with regular seats for a day and I found those very hard and uncomfortable, so I ordered mine with the Recaros. At 57, 6' and 230 lbs with regular neck, hips and lower back pain, I took advice from this forum and started by deflating everything and that's how I like it best. Last week, I just went from Quebec to the Detroit Auto show with it, 13 hours to go hitting some heavy traffic and 11 hours back. All I can say is those Recaros are very nice indeed, they felt good even at the end of the day. Last year I took the same trip with my SRT8 Jeep and after a few hours I was triyng all kinds of ways to find a comfy spot.

zinner
01-24-12, 12:20 AM
I probably would of went with the standard seats, but if i wanted the M6 I had to get the Recaros. They are harder to get in and out off, but the exit button makes that easy enough, they are also a higher up that the stock seats sit, even their their lowest position.

But manual transmission makes up for it! If I was ordering I would go with the standard seats. If you think the standard seats are bad, go sit in a economy car.

thebigjimsho
01-27-12, 01:08 PM
Before ordering my 12 V-wagon, the dealer lent me a 3.6 with regular seats for a day and I found those very hard and uncomfortable, so I ordered mine with the Recaros. At 57, 6' and 230 lbs with regular neck, hips and lower back pain, I took advice from this forum and started by deflating everything and that's how I like it best. Last week, I just went from Quebec to the Detroit Auto show with it, 13 hours to go hitting some heavy traffic and 11 hours back. All I can say is those Recaros are very nice indeed, they felt good even at the end of the day. Last year I took the same trip with my SRT8 Jeep and after a few hours I was triyng all kinds of ways to find a comfy spot.

Aww, man. We missed you. I was there last weekend...