: Differential Fluid Question

mountainv
01-18-12, 02:22 PM
I have had no diff issues so far, but have noted the posts on V diff problems. I am running the stock Dexron LS fluid,
wondering if I should change to synthetic, like Mobil 1 75-90. Thanks for experienced advice!

M5eater
01-18-12, 02:29 PM
Can you? yes.
Should you for the sake of extra protection? No. Not unless you take your V to go racing often.
Should you change it at least once after a few thousand miles? Probally, but it's not going to fall apart anytime soon either way.

baabootoo
01-18-12, 02:35 PM
The manual says that it IS synthetic anyway. I wouldn't bother to change either, as long as the level is correct.

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 07:59 PM
It is VERY easy to change. If you like to be very safe, no problems with doing it, IMO. If you got the time and the caek, go for it...

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-23-12, 05:21 PM
It is VERY easy to change. If you like to be very safe, no problems with doing it, IMO. If you got the time and the caek, go for it...

Now I've heard of putting corks in there but never caek - I would probably eat that....

thebigjimsho
01-23-12, 09:35 PM
Love caek...

Unclemelty
01-23-12, 09:39 PM
Now I'm hungry...all this talk about caek....

GMX322V S/C
01-24-12, 11:26 AM
...Should you change it at least once after a few thousand miles?...From what many DIYers have posted, a fair bit of bedding material seems to come out at first change.

The manual says that it IS synthetic anyway.+1, although limited-slip additive is still required if you use the stock fluid (apparently there is a Corvette-spec synthetic that doesn't require LS additive).

I wouldn't bother to change either, as long as the level is correct. From my own experience, at less than 2,000 miles, I had limited-slip noise during low-speed turns after a cold start in cold weather (this was different from the PS2 crabbing noise). Fluid level checked okay. Changed the fluid with factory stock + additive anyway and the noise went away.