: CD Player doesn't work on my NAV Radio

Frikiton
01-18-12, 12:16 PM
Ever since I got my car last year the CD Changer doesn't play anything (mp3, regular cd audio, dvd audio, etc) all of them say DISC ERROR in all 6 slots. I even bought disc cleaner etc and they also get disc error. I didn't really bothered since I had my audio guy install the ipod-sts aftermarket stuff and I been using only ipod to play music.

But here and there I get CDs from friend that are DJs and I would like to hear it sometimes.
So I was thinking is it worth fixing it?

What are my options ? Buying a new DISC Changer which cost like 400-600 since i have the Navigation and I doubt it's smart to go wtih an aftermarket way.

rdub1982
01-18-12, 01:10 PM
It sounds like the CD reader is bad. Correct me if I am wrong but I think you have to replace the whole nav unit. I just took mine in under warranty because it would not play or eject any of the CD's in the changer. The dealer replaced the whole entire Nav unit under warranty. I would assume that if they could have just replaced the changer, they would have went that route. I have seen used Navigation units in excellent condition on ebay for as low as $395.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAVIGATION-DVD-RADIO-UNIT-DISPLAY-SCREEN-05-06-07-CADILLAC-STS-Option-YQ4-/170759939153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASTS&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c215e451

If you opt to buy one, I think you have to go to the dealer and have them set it up for you.

Frikiton
01-18-12, 03:10 PM
Thanks.. but I don't have any warranty left on my car so I will ask my audio guy most likely he can do it since he had to almost take it all out when he had to install the iPod cable and stuff.

I wonder if replacing the Nav Unit will require some type of security unlock or other things?

ddalder
01-18-12, 04:55 PM
Mine was replaced as a whole unit as parts were not available for the specific version in my car. Generally, these can be repaired. The dealership will remove it, send it to a GM ESC (Electronic Service Centre) and reinstall it when it's ready. The question becomes one of economics. It's still probably cheaper to find one on eBay and have the dealership reprogram it for the vehicle (there is a TheftLok feature that must be reset).

Frikiton
01-19-12, 10:31 AM
Thanks I guess I'll start looking at ebay