: Low oil and adding oil.

SoCalCTSV
01-18-12, 10:02 AM
5:30 AM and leaving for work which is 30 miles away and later a 90 mile trip for business, "ADD OIL" indicator comes on. 4,200 miles and I have 42 % oil life remaining. No time to go to dealer for an oil change. Most repair shops that sell oil open at 7/8 am and I need to be 120 miles away by 2 pm.

Is Mobil 1 ok to add and wait for oil change until later this week?

Gary Wells
01-18-12, 10:31 AM
I would 1st verify that it is actually low by checking the dipstick if you haven't already done so. If it is low, I would think that you are Ok adding Mobil 1 of the correct viscosity and grade, or closest that you have.

SoCalCTSV
01-18-12, 01:13 PM
I would 1st verify that it is actually low by checking the dipstick if you haven't already done so. If it is low, I would think that you are Ok adding Mobil 1 of the correct viscosity and grade, or closest that you have.

Yep. 1 quart low.

Anyone else drop a quart on 4,000 miles and 2 months?

Gary Wells
01-18-12, 01:38 PM
Yes, there's been a couple of threads / posts having the same, or approximately the same results that you have had. 1 was maybe even worse.

cdog533
01-18-12, 03:05 PM
No reason to change it w 42% left. Just add.

M5eater
01-18-12, 05:28 PM
I'm at 60 something percent on a M1 Ep change and just had to add a little less than half a quart before I went to VMP.

baabootoo
01-19-12, 12:12 AM
Yes, I'd also just fill and wait until the oil change reminder goes off. Mine is around 10K to 11K.

GAGS-V2
01-20-12, 01:46 AM
Yep, very same thing here. Same mileage, took me a little while longer to get there. Have fun adding the oil through the dipstick (or taking the cover off).

dironvictorious
01-20-12, 04:46 AM
The expected oil consumption on the CTS-V is about a quart every 1000 miles so - according to my dealership. I use one about that, sometimes less when not getting into the boost/rpm that much. Your consumption will vary base on driving habits. I believe the owners manual states you should add oil within 500 miles of the indicator coming on. I usually keep a quart of mobile 1 in the trunk, and just add it as soon as the message comes on. The message means you are at least 1 quart low.

SoCalCTSV
01-20-12, 08:49 AM
Yep, very same thing here. Same mileage, took me a little while longer to get there. Have fun adding the oil through the dipstick (or taking the cover off).

Why would anyone add oil through the dipstick?

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 08:35 PM
Male sure you check for leaks. I have had zero oil usage since getting my oil pan leak fixed...

sfvagon
01-23-12, 10:41 PM
Got the same warning this weekend at almost exactly the same number of miles (4000-something) ... embarrassing to say, but I'll need to look into what viscosity/grade is appropriate for my '12 V - don't know it off the top of my head.

zinner
01-24-12, 01:23 AM
Yep. 1 quart low.

Anyone else drop a quart on 4,000 miles and 2 months?

Yes about 5k for me. Quart low, indicator went on, added some oil. When it went to 10% I took it in for an oil change.

LS6 wouldn't burn a drop between changes with 70k miles on the clock.

DiamondWhtV
01-24-12, 04:17 PM
The expected oil consumption on the CTS-V is about a quart every 1000 miles so - according to my dealership.

I don't believe that for one minute...that sounded like something the dealers would say back in the 80's. No offense, just don't buy in to that statement. Engineering is way better than that and the materials used are top notch on todays vehicles. I have over 30k on mine and no oil comsumption whatsoever.

09V
01-24-12, 05:10 PM
I don't believe that for one minute...that sounded like something the dealers would say back in the 80's. No offense, just don't buy in to that statement. Engineering is way better than that and the materials used are top notch on todays vehicles. I have over 30k on mine and no oil comsumption whatsoever.

I agree with this statement. Your dealer should not be telling you to expect oil consumption of 1 qt every 1000 miles. That is not normal! You have something else going on and I certainly would not wait until the indicator comes on to add oil. I would be checking weekly to keep it topped off if I had your kind of consumption.

RippyPartsDept
01-24-12, 05:27 PM
as far as I know GM's official line on oil consumption is that more than one quart per 1,500 miles is over-consumption
some consumption is acceptable, but over that amount is not and will be covered by warranty

at least as far as I know ... check your local listings, ymmv, and IANAL

SoCalCTSV
02-02-12, 01:31 AM
I'm now at 29%. Do I take it in now or wait for it to go to 20%?

Rockey
02-02-12, 08:15 AM
Id believe a quart every 100 miles....... if they were done a 1/4 mile at a time.

RippyPartsDept
02-02-12, 09:50 AM
SoCal, i believe the new premium care maintenance (http://www.cadillac.com/owners/premium-care-maintenance.html) program specifies that you have to wait until it's at or under 20% before you can get your free service
Rockey, ????

tedcmiller
02-02-12, 03:19 PM
I have never seen this message (2009 CTS-V) . I have plenty of oil left and I have never added any. I think 1 quart per 1000 miles is very excessive regardless of what the dealer might say. Note that the OLM is checked with the monthly check (if you have OnStar) and it is free. If you go a full year without changing the oil regardless of what value the OLM is at, the report will not give the percentage reported by the OLM, but instead will give only dashes and recommend that you change the oil.

GM-4-LIFE
02-02-12, 04:14 PM
My dealer has changed my oil twice for me in 10,500 miles. First service was at 6K miles with 25% oil life remaining and second service was last week at 10,532 miles and oil life monitor showed 44%. It all depends on your dealer.

carterb
02-10-12, 10:44 PM
Just checked my oil level at 2.5 months and 3000 miles ... still full !

Bubba Ho-Tep
05-12-13, 09:25 PM
Car has 2k on the odo and the low oil message popped up a second time today. No leaks as far as I know, no stains in my garage. I guess my experience is the worst so far?

vagondr
05-12-13, 11:55 PM
My wagon has 5K conservatively driven miles and I just added my first pint of oil. At 2K miles I installed a small catch can that has filled twice. Though I haven't actually measured the volume caught, the container looks like it's the size of a small cup, , it appears to be most of what was lost. In the future I will save and measure the contents of the container, log mileage and report back. I never imagined that so much oil would have been sucked into the intake. This accessory appears to be a great investment. Takes some of the mystery as to where at least some of the oil goes. Anyone else with a CC have a similar experience?

Trapspeed
05-13-13, 08:02 AM
Ran one for years on a previous car and experienced about what you are seeing.

Chrispy
05-13-13, 10:40 AM
If you are using dealers dexos just put in a quart of 5W30 until you get it to the dealer for the regular oil change. It'll be fine.

USAFRET
05-13-13, 12:27 PM
Have fun adding the oil through the dipstick (or taking the cover off).

New V owner of 2 months, please explain what you mean?

Chrispy
05-13-13, 12:31 PM
Why would you not remove the cover and use the oil cap to add the oil? It takes all of 4 seconds to remove it :)

Bubba Ho-Tep
05-14-13, 12:13 PM
I'd say 1 second. Grab...pull.

I've added two quarts of Mobil1 5w30 synthetic. One quart on two separate occasions. Still just shy of 2k on the odo, but I do drive it hard. Hopefully this isn't going to be an issue. :(