: Wheels 'painted'?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-17-12, 08:10 AM
Are these polished wheels on the V simply painted or powder coated or what? I have a good (bad) reason for asking.... :shhh:

Thanks,

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-17-12, 12:33 PM
The dealership says 'painted' with no elaboration so it may mean clear powder coated....The coating is very hard - as a powder coating would be ..... Anyone know what the coating is?

M5eater
01-17-12, 01:47 PM
They powder coat the cars, I can't see why they wouldn't powder coat the rims. Either way it doesn't cover the whole rim. I've never seen half-painted rims on a 70K car until the V2. It's one of my big pet peeves.

If you're planning on re-spraying. just scotch bright them and have at it!

shchow
01-17-12, 03:17 PM
Don't know about the shiny wheels.
I got the painted wheels that are a duller finish.
I've got a few knicks in them and can clearly see the painted finish on them...

Gary Wells
01-17-12, 04:11 PM
Cad CTS-V2's are either polished bare aluminum with clear coat on them or chromed aluminum with a clear coat on them. I believe that the clear coat is powder coated or ceramic coated, probably powder coated.
Just my opinion.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-18-12, 07:19 AM
OK.... the coating is hard like powder coat but there are some down right hard two part polyurethanes (modified epoxy) now that are popular - especially in the marine industry.... I may have these re-coated after taking the V through a car wash and having the wheels scrubbed with dirty tire brushes.....hard lesson. I told the car wash owner after having a worthless discussion with him about the wheels that if he ever saw me at his car wash again that he had my permission to kick my ass.