: New owner - Recaro issue???

mikec1185
01-16-12, 06:12 PM
I've been browsing the forums here for the last several months but this is the first time I am posting anything...I recently picked up a fully loaded 2012 black diamond coupe and I have to say I absolutely love the car...It handles amazing, looks even better and gets attention wherever I go (maybe even more than my yellow Z06)...I only have one small issue...The day after I picked up the car I noticed that the side bolster of the Recaro seat on the driver's side had scuffs and marks on it...I brought it back to the dealer and they said they'll replace the seat cover (As well as the passenger side door panel which had a big scratch in it)...A few days later, after a friend and fellow V owner pointed it out, I realized that the leather on the right side of the bottom part of the seat looks completely different than the other side...It feels thinner and has a a lot of stretch marks in it...I have to show the dealer this when I drop it off this week...Now I noticed that the the leather on the side bolster on the passenger seat is coming off...It's getting all scuffed up and I have barely had anyone else in the car with me...I am just wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has encountered this issue? I don't think this should be happening on a $70k car!

dironvictorious
01-16-12, 09:14 PM
I have a 2010 CTS-V with black recaros. I bought the car new about 18 months ago. I am also a vette owner, mine is yellow but a coupe:)

I have creases in my seat bottoms and some slight scuffs on side bolsters. The design makes it nearly impossible to get in and out without putting some weight on the thigh bolsters. The shoulder/back bolsters are more easily avoided on entrance/exit, but while sitting you will lean against them and inevitably put creases on them too.

Even if you are able to guide yourself into the seat without leaning on thigh bolsters, you body press against their insides - depending on size/shape of legs.

I don't think this is actually a leather issue. I clean/condition the leather all the time. I think its the foam flexing or forming to your body weight, underneath the leather. The result is the leather not being as taunt - and thus wrinkling, or just following the resulting imprints in the foam.

Other folks with different cars and these seats, have similar experience. So, it may just be a recaro thing - rather than leather or caddy thing.

I have found a way to minimize strain on thigh bolsters. I literally step into the car with one leg, and then lower myself into center of seat. Getting out, i put both feet on floorboard and lift up with legs and use arm rest as guide, and then step out one like at a time.

However, if you do this, doesn't mean parking lot attendant's will:)

mikec1185
01-17-12, 09:01 AM
I'm like a contortionist when I get in and out of this thing! I try never to let parking attendant's get in my car. I tip extra so that they let me park it!! Thanks for your help though. I gotta stop being so car OCD!