: Manual or Auto for my 2012 V sedan?

rickg87
01-16-12, 06:45 PM
I'm buying a 2012 V sedan. I test drove the manual and it was great.
I would prefer an automatic but have heard its not great.
I love spirited driving and don't want a slopy tranny.
What do you all think?

Club Malibu
01-16-12, 06:48 PM
I love spirited driving and don't want a sloppy tranny.

So you're telling us you love spirited driving and you don't want a sloppy tranny. You just basically spelled MANUAL.

MotownPimp
01-16-12, 06:52 PM
No auto tranny is ever going to give you the control and zip of a stick. Just a matter of if you don't mind constant use of the clutch.

rickg87
01-16-12, 06:53 PM
So you're telling us you love spirited driving and you don't want a sloppy tranny. You just basically spelled MANUAL.

It's tempting because the manual is the most fun but I have cars with manual. Some automatics are good.I'm wondering what people with autos think. How is the manual mode?

elphil
01-16-12, 07:20 PM
I prefer the auto, but I could have gone either way. The auto is good but I would not call it great. A dual clutch would probably be the best of both types of transmissions. I wouldn't call the auto sloppy, but it could be a bit quicker and sharper in making shifts up and down through the gears. I always drive in the sport mode but seldom shift the auto manually.

John Heinricy's record setting lap with the CTS-V at the Nurburgring was done with an auto left in the sport mode.

If you are on the fence, save $1,300 and go with the manual.

ruby 1
01-16-12, 07:49 PM
I like my auto. I was tired of shifting. I like the response and smooth ride. But then again I am 64 years young.

FLTRI
01-16-12, 08:15 PM
My past 3 Corvettes have all been manuals, never thought I'd buy a performance car with an auto. After much hand wringing, I got an auto Vagon.

I'm not looking back. It shifts plenty hard (for me) when you're in sport mode, and your foot is on the loud pedal. It's quicker through the quarter mile, as well as 0-60, than the stick. Only thing I gave up is 12 mph (I think, 179 vs 191, right?) on the top end. If I absolutely have to select my own gears, I still can. And I get remote start...

The stick in a Caddi has a huge cool factor, but I'm plenty pleased with my six speed shush box...

GM-4-LIFE
01-16-12, 08:43 PM
I would love to have the manual, but traffic here in L.A. would make it much less enjoyable, especially since my V Coupe is my daily driver. It's work enough trying to drive here.

DrVolkl
01-16-12, 09:48 PM
I ordered my wagon in the 6spd manual. As far as manuals go, it's a pretty nice one. The clutch is very light... took me a little to get used to, but that makes it all the more easy to drive in traffic. The electric parking brake is slow to engage... that's my only quibble. (if you ever use it for really steep hills... which I don't, but I tried it once...). Other than that, it's a nice transmission.

My past few cars for reference:
2009 911 Turbo
2003 Acura NSX
2010 Audi S4

I'd buy it again if I had the choice.

mountainv
01-16-12, 10:30 PM
I love my manual 6-speed, with a smoother clutch than my past three Corvettes. The manual option was a major factor in my getting a CTS-V.

Gary Wells
01-16-12, 10:57 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 01-02-2012):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better mileage than the auto but probably not significant
About 32 more RWHP than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 more RWTQ than an A6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios: (1:) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 32 less RWHP than an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 27 less RWTQ that an M6 on average as measured on a Dynojet
About 95 lbs heavier that the manual
Remote start feature
Normal mode initially starts in 1st gear, then starts in 2nd gear thereafter
Manual mode starts in 1st gear always

About 1 in every 6 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

SecretWeapon
01-17-12, 09:31 AM
Manual unless you are into the 1/4 mile thing, then auto. There are not too many manual options left out there so do it while you can and before you get too old to push in the clutch pedal.

M5eater
01-17-12, 09:52 AM
Unless you absolutely need the tactile feel of a stick in your hands when driving, the 6L90E in sport mode will have you in the right gear at the right time 95% of the time, or 100% of the time if you're going in a straight line. The manual mode was a rush-job, but most of the sloppy-ness people complain about can be mostly fixed with a tune (if you're into that and possible warranty issues).

The thing to understand is; this is a regular torque converter automatic, it's a very good for what it is, but it's no S-tronic or DCT. For daily driving and once a year road-course or frequent drag racing it will never let you down. If you're buying a V2 to drive it the way it was ment to be driven on a regular basis, or modifying it for huge HP(you can build an auto as well, it just requires more $$$ and a good tuner), you need to pickup a tremec, and no, I don't mean going WOT for a few seconds once a week or putting on an air intake. I mean, going every sunday to your local SCCA chapter inbetween roadcourse events, then heading to a texas mile event with a TVS2300 equipped 700whp monster that you also daily drive. The Tremec in those cases will be easier on the wallet, and easier to drive hard. Now, I'm not saying you can't do all these things with the auto-- you can, that's part of the reason why it's a good transmission choice still. However, it's certinally not ideal. It's not going to give you that last 5-10% edge the tremec will, and it's going to be more fustrating to get it to work.

Pickup the Auto if you want a fast car to live with everyday and trade in for something new in a couple of years.
Pickup the manual if you still have the heart of a boy racer and acutally live like a boy-racer.

rickg87
01-17-12, 10:09 AM
Unless you absolutely need the tactile feel of a stick in your hands when driving, the 6L90E in sport mode will have you in the right gear at the right time 95% of the time, or 100% of the time if you're going in a straight line. The manual mode was a rush-job, but most of the sloppy-ness people complain about can be mostly fixed with a tune (if you're into that and possible warranty issues).

The thing to understand is; this is a regular torque converter automatic, it's a very good for what it is, but it's no S-tronic or DCT. For daily driving and once a year road-course or frequent drag racing it will never let you down. If you're buying a V2 to drive it the way it was ment to be driven on a regular basis, or modifying it for huge HP(you can build an auto as well, it just requires more $$$ and a good tuner), you need to pickup a tremec, and no, I don't mean going WOT for a few seconds once a week or putting on an air intake. I mean, going every sunday to your local SCCA chapter inbetween roadcourse events, then heading to a texas mile event with a TVS2300 equipped 700whp monster that you also daily drive. The Tremec in those cases will be easier on the wallet, and easier to drive hard. Now, I'm not saying you can't do all these things with the auto-- you can, that's part of the reason why it's a good transmission choice still. However, it's certinally not ideal. It's not going to give you that last 5-10% edge the tremec will, and it's going to be more fustrating to get it to work.

Pickup the Auto if you want a fast car to live with everyday and trade in for something new in a couple of years.
Pickup the manual if you still have the heart of a boy racer and acutally live like a boy-racer.

I think you said it well and prob helped me with the last quote.
I race road courses on weekends in a porsche Cayman S. So I get that rush.
The auto should be my pick.

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 11:06 AM
Weak.

M5eater
01-17-12, 11:14 AM
Weak.

you've met your 1 word post-whore posts for the day sir-- this one plus the other 3 I spotted in threads I'm in alone. off with you!

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 11:40 AM
1 wood? I got plenty of wood...

M5eater
01-17-12, 11:56 AM
I ment wood, of course. It's what all the kids are saying these days... <_<

Gary Wells
01-17-12, 05:34 PM
Nope, the younger generation these days are saying, "one would", to show that they are learning something in English class.

M5eater
01-17-12, 06:34 PM
Nope, the younger generation these days are saying, "one would", to show that they are learning something in English class.
One would hope they're learning something if I'm paying for it.

Gary Wells
01-17-12, 06:46 PM
Taxation will be the death of us all, but quicker for the Republik of Kali residents.