: FIRST LOOK,Cadillac Extended Long Range (ELR)

Subsailor613
01-16-12, 05:28 PM
http://www.cadillac.com/elr-electric-car.html?seo=goo_

:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 06:17 PM
We have a little bit of discussion going on here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-elr-forum/), if you're interested...

KRSTS
01-16-12, 06:18 PM
Nice looking

EChas3
01-16-12, 10:34 PM
According to Wikipedia, average US sources of electricity, i.e. the power source of 'plug-in' cars, is 45% coal, 23% natural gas and 20% nuclear. French 'electric' cars are 78% nuclear-powered. Anyone think the eco-nuts will buy these coal and nuclear powered cars?

At this point in time, hybrid's and plug-in electrics are a waste of resources (just figure in all the costs). Oil is plentiful and cheap, and would be even more so if we had a rational energy policy. Man-made climate change has been exposed as a hoax. The Keystone pipeline would have put the country back to work.

Batteries are not yet efficient, minerals must be mined and cause a lot of disposal issues. Maybe electric cars will someday make sense, but that time is not yet here. They are only good for making soft-headed consumers feel good about their ignorant consumption.

The car does look cool...

Pjazz
01-17-12, 01:50 AM
Wow you really tried to put down just about every known eco technology. Electric car technology is still in its infancy. Regulating an electric plant is alot more efficient than 1000s of gas cars on the street. We can't just keep making excuses on why we can't start conserving energy. Most of the scientist who try to say the carbon we're pumping in the atmosphere is not causing problems are paid by the oil companies. Oil is not plentiful and eventually we will exhast it's supply. The type of oil the keystone pipe line will supply is the dirtest type of oil you can imagine. The green house gases it take to refine it is 4 times the amount of regular oil. The jobs it would create to build this pipeline is not worth the cost.

Love the car. Hope they make it.

Greg00coupe
01-17-12, 09:29 PM
Actually electric cars have been around off and on.......pun intended for over 100 years. Doubt they will ever catch on. Too bad they get all the attention. Natural gas or hydrogen would be a better bet but the squeaky
wheel.........

EChas3
01-18-12, 12:39 AM
Wow you really tried to put down just about every known eco technology. Electric car technology is still in its infancy. Regulating an electric plant is a lot more efficient than 1000s of gas cars on the street. We can't just keep making excuses on why we can't start conserving energy. Most of the scientist who try to say the carbon we're pumping in the atmosphere is not causing problems are paid by the oil companies. Oil is not plentiful and eventually we will exhast it's supply. The type of oil the keystone pipe line will supply is the dirtest type of oil you can imagine. The green house gases it take to refine it is 4 times the amount of regular oil. The jobs it would create to build this pipeline is not worth the cost.

Love the car. Hope they make it.

In no way do I put down good ideas. I put down ignorance. Electric cars are 180 years old and are still an expensive alternative that only sell now because they make soft-headed buyers feel good; not because of their economy or efficiency. Why should taxpayers subsidize someone else's wasteful behavior through tax credits?

Even at a cost of $10 per gallon of gas, a hybrid Camry has a total cost of ownership higher than a standard Camry. A Leaf or Volt is even more wasteful; i.e. costly to operate.

Electric plants are clean, as are all modern automobiles. If you're serious about science, you know that no scientist destroys the results of their experiments just because they don't fit their ideology. Phil Jones at the 'Climate Research Unit' of East Anglia not only falsified (i.e. adjusted) results and deleted the original statistics but perpetuated a hoax. He admits it.

Science is not about 'peer review' or 'consensus', those are just politics. Science is the process of developing theories, designing experiments to test those theories, conducting experiments that can be repeated by others and using the results to refine the theory. Publishing articles is like getting an 'A', just write what the readers want to read.

At current levels of production, we have over a hundred years of oil already discovered. (There's probably a lot more, too.) The oil that we could get via the Keystone is going to be developed regardless of whether the US benefits or not. The jobs I reference aren't one-time pipeline construction jobs; they are generations of steady jobs in the refining and distribution of oil already on this continent.

I'm not against practical alternatives but ignoring facts is the definition of ignorant. That would be like burning food for fuel (E10/E15/E85) or tilting at windmills (did Don Quixote kill endangered species?) Oh yeah, the eco-nuts ignore those facts, too..

KRSTS
01-18-12, 11:28 AM
I agree with EChas3. Until there is a dramatic improvement in battery technology, electric cars do not make sense. This is all about politics, just like ethanol blended gasoline. As an aside, every Prius owner I know is smug and self righteous about their "Toyotas".:worship:

EChas3
01-19-12, 09:42 PM
If it makes them happy, fine! But these are more wasteful than Escalades!

If somebody wants an ELR and afford the real cost of it, more power to them. But people should pay their own way and not mooch off their neighbors (i.e. the half of us that pay all the taxes).

You're right about the smugness of the wackos... I gotta laugh at how they are more the problem than the cure!