: Ok, let me be the first to say it...CTS-V is getting a little long in the tooth...

commander112
01-16-12, 12:50 PM
I looked at the ATS and XTS at the Detroit auto show and am currently looking for a new fun ride. I was considering getting a new '12 but am starting to think that the car is already in need of an update. The car is lacking in many features that more modern designs are showing up with. The interior really needs a freshening.

cdog533
01-16-12, 12:59 PM
MotorWeek (http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/) 2011 Drivers’ Choice Award: Best Coupe (CTS Coupe)
Edmunds Inside Line (http://www.insideline.com/features/inside-line-editors-most-wanted-awards.html) Most Wanted Awards for 2011 (CTS-V Wagon)
Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/2011_10best_cars-10best_cars) 10Best List for 2011 (CTS-V Sedan, Coupe and Wagon)
AUTOMOBILE Magazine (http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/1012_2011_automobile_all_stars/index.html) 2011 All-Star (CTS-V Wagon)
MSN Autos (http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=1173050#11) Editors Choice Award for 2010 (CTS-V Wagon)
AutoWeek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110105/CARNEWS/110109975) Best of the Best Car for 2011 (CTS-V Coupe)
Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/2011-automotive-excellence-awards#fbIndex8) Auto Excellence Award: Top 10 Cars of 2011 (CTS Coupe)
Motor Authority (http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1051404_2011-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-and-wagon-motorauthoritys-best-car-to-buy-2011) Best Performance/Luxury Car to Buy for 2011 (CTS-V Coupe and Wagon).
Internet Car of the Year (http://www.internetcarandtruckoftheyear.com/) (Pros Pick) for 2010 (CTS-V Coupe)
Esquire (http://www.esquire.com/features/cars/best-new-cars-2010/best-new-cars-2010-1010#fbIndex3) Car of the Year Awards for 2010: Best Domestic Car (CTS-V Coupe)
World Performance Car of the Year (http://www.wcoty.com/web/media_release.asp?release=62&year=2011) finalist for 2011 (CTS-V Coupe)
Are you sure? Seems like it has been doing OK through 2010/2011.

hulksdaddy
01-16-12, 01:30 PM
Really? Car is 4 model years old.

FLTRI
01-16-12, 02:02 PM
C4 Corvette lasted 12 years. That, was long in the tooth...

commander112
01-16-12, 03:02 PM
I think you guys are thinking a bit old. One theme I have picked up on in the new automotive world is that the models are coming faster and faster and ones that have not kept up with the latest tech fall by the wayside quickly. You won't see any 12 year old designs continuing to show up in the future. In fact, perfectly good cars that simply are not making their projections are not even shown this year in Detroit. They are being pushed off the market right away. If GM does not freshen the interior on the V in '13 by adding in their new CUE system and fix issues with the XM weather delivery, the shitty black plastic console and a few other things this car will start to lose sales rapidly. Mark my words, what made the list in 2011 for greatness will not make it in 2012 and beyond.

Kadonny
01-16-12, 03:03 PM
I still love the styling, but being over 3 years now my car is going to be expensive to inspect because it needs tires and brakes. I decided to get back into a AWD vehicle so I ordered a SRT8 Grand Cherokee. I'll miss the V and it's power, but I'll gain tons of practicality while maintaining the fun factor. I hope I made a good decision.

JimmyH
01-16-12, 03:24 PM
It will still continue to sell based on value alone. Want a better interior? You will either spend ALOT more or give up ALOT of performance for anything else on the market.

hulksdaddy
01-16-12, 03:37 PM
2013 may be the last year of the current CTS platform as it is.

GM-4-LIFE
01-16-12, 04:40 PM
I hear ya. I think the CTS-V needs updating and more aggressive styling, especially the V Sedan. V Coupe and V Wagon look amazing to me as is.

The current gen CTS-V is almost gone anyways. 2013 or 2014 will be the last model years of the current gen CTS-V, so don't worry. Let's hope the next gen is coming first off at all and if/when it does, let's hope the V3 is going to make the V2 look like the V1. I hope the V3 boasts big changes, especially in the power and curb weight departments. Ford Shelby GT500 is going to have 650 HP when it arrives at dealers this May. GM and Cadillac better at least match the HP rating, but with more torque and lower curb weights to give GM vehicles the pure advantage.

If the next gen base CTS debuts in the summer of 2013 as a 2014 model year vehicle, then that means the next gen V will be here in the summer of 2014 as a 2015 model year vehicle. But, if the next gen base CTS debuts in the summer of 2014 as a 2015 model year vehicle, that that means the next gen V will be here in the summer of 2015 as a 2016 model year vehicle. Let's hope it is sooner, but figure the next gen CTS-V will arrive one full model year after the next gen base CTS debuts.

elphil
01-16-12, 04:55 PM
This article seems appropriate here: http://wot.motortrend.com/would-you-rather-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-sedan-or-wagon-157749.html

What does the CTS-V Coupe and Kim Kardashian have in common?

GM-4-LIFE
01-16-12, 05:38 PM
This article seems appropriate here: http://wot.motortrend.com/would-you-rather-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-sedan-or-wagon-157749.html

A fat ass? I still love my V Coupe, no matter what the hater mags say.

Lord Cadillac
01-16-12, 06:12 PM
I looked at the ATS and XTS at the Detroit auto show and am currently looking for a new fun ride. I was considering getting a new '12 but am starting to think that the car is already in need of an update. The car is lacking in many features that more modern designs are showing up with. The interior really needs a freshening.

The CTS could have used a decent mid-cycle refresh. It didn't get one. It got SORT OF a mid-cycle refresh. Can you see it?

Speedtrapped
01-16-12, 06:15 PM
hmmmm, I love the front fascia of our cars, I showed pics of my Vagon to some british folk on an Audi forum, most said the same thing.....man that cars front is typically American, looks aggressive, big and garish-I loved that they said that! I thought the only thing on the interior I hope they update is the headliner. The V's suede should be used there too. Honestly not big deal, my eyes are looking forward. Outside I would have used drilled rotors...thats it. I love my vagon. HP bumped will be easy.

SoCalCTSV
01-16-12, 06:28 PM

It's not on the Egg McMuffin or automobiles but also the Kim Kardashian of automobiles.

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 11:01 AM
I still love the styling, but being over 3 years now my car is going to be expensive to inspect because it needs tires and brakes. I decided to get back into a AWD vehicle so I ordered a SRT8 Grand Cherokee. I'll miss the V and it's power, but I'll gain tons of practicality while maintaining the fun factor. I hope I made a good decision.

Don't worry. You didn't...

M5eater
01-17-12, 11:36 AM
The CTS could have used a decent mid-cycle refresh. It didn't get one. It got SORT OF a mid-cycle refresh. Can you see it?

lots of german cars get very small changes. the E39 and E60 basicly got better tail lights and updated Infotainment for their 'model refreshes'. The B5 A4 acutally got a lot of changes past 99.5. The only car in recent memory that got a genuine face-lift on the exact same platform would be the W204 however.

As for lacking features, the car in 08 wasen't exactly a tech-fest either. I would have to agree however that car's are comming more in-line with technolgy's expansion rate, and if you're not loaded to the gills you're not in the hip crowd. Clearly you can't make cars per Moore's law, so what needs to happen is something that's easily upgradeable.. like Cue for example.

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 11:44 AM
The V can afford to be a little behind. When you're the absolute fastest, that's the draw...

M5eater
01-17-12, 12:00 PM
The V can afford to be a little behind. When you're the absolute fastest, that's the draw...
The only thing I can say I want is anti-glare side view mirrors(and rainsense wipers.. but most people have that). They went with an anti-glare rear view, but when you have a lifted truck behind you it doesn't matter. the sideviews still blind you.
things like ACC, and power retractable sideview mirrors are just gadgets. You'll use them for a month and then it'll get old, or you'll realize using your foot nets better gas mileage anyway. Now, don't get me wrong, I love gadgets, but in the real world I know that eventually they'll break right after the warranty is up and it'll cost $1000 to fix something I'll use it once a year if I'm lucky, so does the V2 need it? Nope.

internet radio might be something else, but is XM/local/ipod and HDD not enough?

dqw1
01-17-12, 02:51 PM
I really wish there was a way the CUE could be backwards capatible for our cars. The ability to configure the gauge cluster needs to be in this V. Does the ATS or XTS get an HUD?

ruby 1
01-17-12, 03:26 PM
I love my 2012 CTS-V sedan. Not long in the tooth to me.

jnjj
01-17-12, 04:02 PM
Ditto ruby1.

Thrill6
01-17-12, 09:45 PM
The current 6th Gen Corvette has been around since 2005, and the C7 will be debut in 2014. Over the years they have come out with changes every few years, new engine in 2008 (LS3), all leather interior option in 2010, new seats in 2012 (same seat frame, but different foam and seat covers), but it still has the same shitty NAV system that it had in 2005. For whatever reason, new radios and NAV systems are hardly ever changed mid-model. That being said, I doubt CUE will ever see the light of day in the current CTS.

SpartanCTSV
01-17-12, 11:04 PM
I think the op may be commenting on the new M5 that is being released. Well, BMW may almost match the CTS-V with their NEW model, but don't you think that Cadillac is gonna come out and blow the doors off with next model redesign. It's a classic American attitude; When we set our minds to it, No one in the world can compete if we really want to win. Just check out what Ford is doing with the 2013 GT500 Mustang (650 hp and 600 lb ft and 200 mph). I have faith that my next CTS-V will be even more of a beast !!!!!!

Unclemelty
01-17-12, 11:20 PM
I work for a German company & I can tell you that my comments on the defeat of the M5 really caused some waves, however my German boss was the first to ask if he could drive my newest V....laughed his butt off the whole time he was behind the wheel. Then admitted "It's not German but it's a damn cool ride, which I would love to get on the autobahn". Pretty high marks from a dedicated BMW & Volkswagen fan.

Squirlz
01-18-12, 12:00 AM
I think you guys are thinking a bit old. One theme I have picked up on in the new automotive world is that the models are coming faster and faster and ones that have not kept up with the latest tech fall by the wayside quickly. You won't see any 12 year old designs continuing to show up in the future. In fact, perfectly good cars that simply are not making their projections are not even shown this year in Detroit. They are being pushed off the market right away. If GM does not freshen the interior on the V in '13 by adding in their new CUE system and fix issues with the XM weather delivery, the shitty black plastic console and a few other things this car will start to lose sales rapidly. Mark my words, what made the list in 2011 for greatness will not make it in 2012 and beyond.

There are plenty of us out here who are DRIVING enthusiasts and have absolutely no interest in the latest electronic fads. I checked out CUE at the NAIAS yesterday and I have no interest in it whatsoever. These cars are made for drivers.

JimmyH
01-18-12, 03:21 PM
I want a back to basics pure sports sedan. I don't see the possibility of that from any manufacturer though.

Umrswimr
01-18-12, 04:43 PM
There are plenty of us out here who are DRIVING enthusiasts and have absolutely no interest in the latest electronic fads. I checked out CUE at the NAIAS yesterday and I have no interest in it whatsoever. These cars are made for drivers.

I don't want a fancy CUE thingy. If it's anything like iDRIVE, COMAND, MyFordTouch, etc, it's a nice gimmick, but it's not anything I would pay extra for. What I will pay for is less weight, fewer interior rattles, and more power.

elphil
01-18-12, 04:49 PM
It's not only the Egg McMuffin of automobiles but also the Kim Kardashian of automobiles.

And what higher praise could Cadillac ask for?

neuronbob
01-18-12, 06:36 PM
The biggest upgrade we need (in addition to changing out the cheeeeeep plastic center console) is CUE. I looked at the CUE demos at the Detroit Auto Show over the weekend and it is light years ahead of what we have now. We need that in the CTS yesterday.

That said, I'm still reasonably satisfied with my V. I don't see anything on the horizon that's as powerful, luxurious, and reasonably priced to replace it with. I can afford the German cars but don't really want to spend that much money....I'd rather be saving for retirement and for my son's education.

Speedtrapped
01-18-12, 06:54 PM
I like big butts and I cannot lie....sorry.

concorso
01-18-12, 08:30 PM
It will still continue to sell based on value alone. Want a better interior? You will either spend ALOT more or give up ALOT of performance for anything else on the market.Cadillac has built a solid following of the V series, along with the V2 being a fantastic bargin and the only V available for 2013, I think itll still sell ok...

GM-4-LIFE
01-19-12, 02:14 AM
I love my V Coupe inside and out! It looks like nothing else on the market.

Nine Ball
01-19-12, 04:12 PM
I've owned my '09 since new, and I've never gotten tired of looking at the car. Even today, the body lines are crisp and really stand out among a sea of boring sedans on the highway. Even the V6 CTS sedans still grab my attention visually. I still think this car is ahead of its time, not dated looking at all.

GM-4-LIFE
01-19-12, 05:20 PM
I wonder how much more aggressive Cadillac is going to make the next gen CTS. They may just do a bigger version of the ATS and call it a day. BMW seems to do the same thing. Same look, but in different sizes...small, medium and large.

Nutz
01-20-12, 11:23 AM
I found this quote amusing from the Motor Trend article comments:

"the sedan is that trophy wife, the wagon is the chick you settle for… and the coupe is that slob you take home at 4 AM."

lulz

thebigjimsho
01-22-12, 08:40 PM

I am a driving enthusiast AND a cruising enthusiast. I like to have simplicity and versatility and CUE offers it both in one package.

And a driving enthusiast should LOVE having a customizable gauge cluster where you could possibly make a huge tach sit right in the middle...

dqw1
01-23-12, 03:22 PM
^he said it better than I did. I love the looks of the current interior but the CUE just belongs in this one.

JimmyH
01-23-12, 05:09 PM
I am a driving enthusiast AND a cruising enthusiast. I like to have simplicity and versatility and CUE offers it both in one package.

And a driving enthusiast should LOVE having a customizable gauge cluster where you could possibly make a huge tach sit right in the middle...

bear in mind that when the ATS has CUE, it will have a standard gauge cluster.

thebigjimsho
01-23-12, 05:12 PM

But will the V? The SRX and XTS won't...

JimmyH
01-23-12, 05:17 PM
Hopefully. That cluster screen was rather chic. I am gonna hack mine and have a naked dancing girl on there.

M5eater
01-23-12, 05:19 PM
WHAT? I thought when I looked at the press release I was mistaken, but indeed there was a good-old dial and gauge cluster in a 'CUE' car.... EPIC fail.

Squirlz
01-23-12, 05:27 PM

Didn't see that part. But still, I just don't think I'm ever going to need to link 5 phones or whatever. No need for complications that I won't use.

JimmyH
01-23-12, 05:37 PM
I suppose it's to save cost in the ATS. Or maybe research showed that ATS buyers likely won't want it. Who knows. If the ATS-V doesn't get it, I really won't care that much. I would rather have an old-school radio than CUE anyway. But I have to believe CUE will be standard in the V.

thebigjimsho
01-23-12, 09:36 PM
i want CUE!

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-24-12, 07:47 AM
i want CUE!

After all, it goes completely along with an American icon -:caddy: the Cadillac :caddy:. Big and heavy or small and light - and fast are what CUE means to us all - sob, sniff, - I'm so proud to be a part :grouphug: ....sniff, sniff...:crying:

M5eater
01-24-12, 08:52 AM

In all serious-ness, CUE is 1/2 the reason I was even bothering with ATS-V. The 3-series killing platform is nice, but I've been a mid-sized sedan guy for a while now, there's just something about doing things a 4300lb car shouldn't be able to do that gets me excited.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-24-12, 10:06 AM
In all serious-ness, CUE is 1/2 the reason I was even bothering with ATS-V. The 3-series killing platform is nice, but I've been a mid-sized sedan guy for a while now, there's just something about doing things a 4300lb car shouldn't be able to do that gets me excited.

Just funin', - Agreed; CUE is an enticement for sure for the new XTS. Too easily spoiled we are!

JD03Cobra
01-24-12, 11:33 AM

I got the demo at the Detroit auto show...my focus was specifically on the gauge cluster. I too was hoping you could customize the look which you can to a point. It comes with 3 or 4 pre defined cluster layouts which you can scroll through with a button on the steering wheel. It's not touch screen and you can't move stuff around. Most of the pre defined clusters displayed the Tach and Speedo. You turn on and off DIC type stuff that displays in Speedo and or around the cluster. Or you could have a clean look with just a digital speedo. I didn't see the Tach sittting in the center of the cluster, maybe the V model will.

Overall I liked where they were going. I felt the LED Cluster could have been better graphically and brighter, it didn't appear to match the Radio/Nav display which looked great almost like a iPad.

Talking to the Cue system for directions and then displaying on the Nav was awesome.

RVC
01-24-12, 03:56 PM
I love the CTS-V....I wish I had one to complain about!! All kidding aside, I don't believe the current model is dated and it has something most enthusiasts want. Raw power, and looks that are unmistakable . I drive my 64' pro-street Chevy II around, got the big ole' 6-71 roots blower sticking out of the hood with the Dual 750's up top, 31x16.50 M/T Streets tuckin' out back....but when I see the CTS-V I still drool.

DrVolkl
01-24-12, 04:09 PM
I love the CTS-V....I wish I had one to complain about!! All kidding aside, I don't believe the current model is dated and it has something most enthusiasts want. Raw power, and looks that are unmistakable . I drive my 64' pro-street Chevy II around, got the big ole' 6-71 roots blower sticking out of the hood with the Dual 750's up top, 31x16.50 M/T Streets tuckin' out back....but when I see the CTS-V I still drool.

I've had my 2012 for about 2 months now and it is a pretty damn awesome car. I do miss the MMI that my Audi S4 had... definitely a cut above.... but everything else about the car is so much better that it really doesn't bother me. Technology is moving so fast, there's always going to be something better right around the corner. More important to have an an awesome car first and a decent nav system 2nd for instance.

smitdog
01-24-12, 07:13 PM
Good thread, hit on a nerve! I have no beef with V exterior styling, mature as it is. Coupe is brand new, wagon nearly so. Sedan is classic American, great. Inside is where work could be done. I do think the V should sport a further differentiated dash configuration than that of the CTS line in general. At least much richer material faces if configuration is too coslty. I love my wagon, love the suede, like the recaros, but piano black to look at and touch? Really? We already forked out....how many hundred more for a rich looking dash?

johnnyjr1000
02-06-12, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the info folks:

Saw a black raven V coupe parked on the street the other night & the presence was awesome !

people were staring at it in awe !

I've been planning on a black diamond coupe since last summer and will probably order one in a year.

I like the interior as is ..... and love the up/down screen ..... can take or leave 'Q' and
prefer REAL dash as opposed to virtual ( my preference).

I believe the style and quality of this car will make it a collectible .... (& if it's not ... who cares .... Luv it anyway)

test drove 2. have a mint 85 928 S and it is a head turner ... BIG TIME .
Think this will be too as well as a performer !!

Congrats to all CTS V coupe owners and good driving.

-j