: CD Changer for STS

BK_Malik
01-16-12, 05:04 AM
I'm thinking about buying an' 06 STS. Right now I'm driving an '07 CTS and the ride is pretty rough (I'm coming from a Mercedes E350 prior to the CTS). Is the STS more of a luxury ride than the CTS?

Also, the STS that I'm looking at only has a single CD player. Does anyone know if there is a CD plug in the trunk for a changer available in the '06 STS? I know it has Onstar but I'm not sure if it's XM ready.

BTW, the STS is in another state (Enterprise Car Sales) so I have limited information about it.
Thanks!

dkozloski
01-16-12, 05:14 AM
No CD changer in the trunk. 6 CD changer is located in the dash.

BK_Malik
01-16-12, 06:45 AM
The car info says that there is only a single cd player in the dash. Are you saying that all STS's have 6 cd changers in the dash standard? If not what I'm tring to find out is whether they have a plug in the trunk to hook a cd player up to like a Mercedes.

CTBB
01-16-12, 10:58 AM
No, they are not standard on all STS models. They are available on ebay used though, and will retrofit into compatible model years. Buying new from GM is very expensive.

Glenn

EChas3
01-16-12, 10:05 PM
I think you will like the STS ride over the CTs BUT you may want to pick a car equipped to your preference. Upgrading the stereo isn't hard but you won't get some Navigation functions (turn-by-turn & voice recognition).

BK_Malik
01-16-12, 10:17 PM
I have 4 days to turn my CTS in and I need a softer/luxury type ride but can't stand the looks of the DTS. Is the STS more of a luxury ride than the CTS?

If I do get the STS what I really want is a trunk mounted cd changer not to mess with the dash. That's why I have been asking is there a plug back there or can you run it through the XM if there is one?

EChas3
01-16-12, 10:52 PM
The in-dash CD/DVD changer in the Navigation/15-speaker stereo is much better than a trunk-mounted unit, IMHO. If you insist on a CD changer in the trunk, don't buy a late-model Cadillac.

If you haven't test-driven some similarly equipped STS's, I urge you not to rush into an STS you haven't driven. Different trim levels can be dramatically different than cars with other options. Buy temporary transportation and make sure you get the right car for you.

MacMuse
01-17-12, 07:55 AM
With service loaners over the past 2 years, I've driven all 4 'car' models (including the SRX) from Cadillac on my regular work route. The C/S/DTS ride ranges as you would expect. Now the DTS will never feel like a Fleetwood or similar land cruiser of old, but it is the closest available today. I preferred the DTS handling & ride, but at 6'4" 235 lbs I found the STS a better fit for my size (this is from the 2005-2007 model years I was shopping at the time). Newer models, even the CTS seem to fit me better now.

Anyway, the STS ride is a middle ground in the scheme of things, especially if you keep the shifter out of Sport Mode.

After market tires can alter the ride and give you softer ride than standard. If you expect to do that, you should stay out of the V8 as it really needs slightly more aggressive tires to hold the wheels in check in the rain.

----------

Oh yes, and the CD changer, especially with the available Navigation system is a tightly coupled system and deeply hooked in the computer sense to the rest of the car's electronics.

I honestly don't know if their's a trunk interface, but I doubt it.