: What to check on a Used V2

rjoffe
01-15-12, 05:11 PM
Looking at a used V2,

What would you guys check as part of a pre-purchase inspection ?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
01-15-12, 05:21 PM
A full gas tank and kick the tires..... Buy it from a reputable dealer or have the local 'V' (Caddie) dealership go over the car. The fee they may charge you will be well worth it! If the seller refuses this, then leave the car alone....

Prof
01-15-12, 05:28 PM
Wheel clicking in tight low speed turns. Rear end noise. Supercharger rattle.

Oh, check the rear tires...they wear unusually fast...:devil:

and read this article:

http://www.racer.com/racer-special-cadillacs-wedge-between-worlds/article/219831/

Cub Cadet
01-15-12, 08:02 PM
In addition to the above, check the front trim pieces at the bottom of the front bumper. Also, if it is an automatic transmission car, drive it around and make sure you like how it shifts. There are problems with the stock automatics that a tune could fix, but again, you have to throw money at it to make it perform as it should have from the factory. Then, you have to worry about the longevity of the automatic transmission. Check the shocks at all 4 corners for leaks... seeing many cars with leaky shocks right now. Lastly, check the front seats to make sure they don't rock back and forth.

M5eater
01-15-12, 08:40 PM
Nothing. There are no glaring issues with the V2 that couldn't be considered NVH related. There are no overheating issues, water pump failures, electrical problems, nothing. If you search long enough you can find threads full of rants, but they're isolated issues related to new vehicles. Nothing special. The biggest suggestion has already been made; The 6L90E is no wet-clutch automatic, DCT or S-tronic. It's a very very good torque converter auto, but still the same design as the transmission in your malibu, and it takes a GREAT tuner to make twitchy-free high power on. Give it a good test-drive before deciding on it.

FLTRI
01-16-12, 01:14 PM
On any high performance car I look at used, I look to see if it has been hot rodded more than I would prefer. I look for considerably more tire wear on the the rears tha the fronts, or more wear than the mileage suggests. Flecks of rubber inside the rear fender wells indicating many smokey burnouts. Talk to the seller (assuming private party purchase) and see if he/she is a knuckle-head. Demand reciepts for all services, or show me service history on the computer.

Just common sense stuff. If it looks like there is even a chance it's been abused, walk away and find another one...

I was shopping Viper's 10 years ago and looked at a brand new one at less then reputable Dodge dealer here in town. Odometer had ~50 miles on it and the rear rubber showed obvious signs of burn outs. The rear rotors were discolored from power brake burn outs. Just shook my head and drove off the lot with two sales drones wondering why I was leaving.

rjoffe
01-16-12, 04:36 PM
Thanks Guys,

Looking at Manual, so no issues there.

It's at a Lexas Dealership (Tradein) so not much they can do for me on the supercharger rattle, or wheel click, but it's still got warranty, so I'm good there.

Ron

Club Malibu
01-16-12, 05:52 PM
If the brake calipers are yellow, the car was tracked real hard.

rjoffe
01-16-12, 06:01 PM
If the brake calipers are yellow, the car was tracked real hard.

I have a V1, I know all about yellow calipers :)

Club Malibu
01-16-12, 06:21 PM
I have a V1, I know all about yellow calipers :)

I'm real curious, maybe you know or someone else here does; Was it intentional and known by Cadillac engineers to use the type of paint on the calipers knowing that the calipers would change color?????

ruby 1
01-16-12, 06:44 PM
I have yellow and I don't track!

rjoffe
01-16-12, 08:03 PM
Different Yellow :)

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 10:02 AM
Lulz...

rjoffe
01-17-12, 10:23 AM
Ahh, these V2 guyz that can just buy yellow callipers

thebigjimsho
01-17-12, 10:42 AM
Just wait until you feel these brakes. Amazing...

rjoffe
01-18-12, 04:54 PM
A bit of feedback from InspectMyRide on a V2 I have been looking at:

http://www.inspectmyride.com/Condition%20Report/conditional%20Report.aspx?i=4188830#

(http://www.inspectmyride.com/Condition%20Report/conditional%20Report.aspx?i=4188830#)

Houdini
01-18-12, 06:31 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm pretty impressed with what they do for inspection.

smackdownCTSV
01-18-12, 06:59 PM
Just the usual on a used car. Also check for Recaro squeak and sunroof creak.

Supercharger rattle is "normal" and diff chatter can be fixed on TSB.

rjoffe
01-18-12, 07:47 PM
Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm pretty impressed with what they do for inspection.

I was pretty happy with what I got for $129. The car is no where near me, so I figured this may be worth it. In my opinion it was.

I do wish some of it was more detailed, for example how worn is worn when describing the seats. I wish higher resolution pics were available.

----------

Perhaps we should start a database if more of us use that service, might be interesting to see how many cars we can get in there for future reference.

M5eater
01-18-12, 08:48 PM
paint depth readings? That's fantastic!

rjoffe
01-18-12, 08:50 PM
paint depth readings? That's fantastic!

That's a subject I really didn't know about until this inspection, been reading about it quite a bit. Very slick of them to include that.

smackdownCTSV
01-18-12, 09:34 PM
FYI, the trim is missing on the bumper.

rjoffe
01-18-12, 09:43 PM
FYI, the trim is missing on the bumper.

sorry, where ?

Cub Cadet
01-20-12, 04:55 PM
Bottom of the front bumper... supposed to have plastic splitters bolted to the bottom. It seems that all of these used cars have them all chewed up and looking terrible. Seller's solution... just removing them. You can get a set from the Cadillac dealer for $138 out the door, or order from Rock Auto and get them for $90 out the door. I think the car looks fine without them. Also note that the spare tire is not 'missing'. CTS-V's have never come with a spare. This was something that made me disatisfied since day one. I would love for them to make a spare tire solution... GM and GM Customer Service, ARE YOU LISTENING????? This pump and goo option is for the birds. If I have a flat tire, this crap won't fix it. Will they pay the tow bill to a tire shop? There is a guy that makes a spare tire kit for these cars and sells it. GM should buy his patent and give this to ALL CTS-V owners.

rjoffe
01-20-12, 07:23 PM
Good eye, I did not notice that.

----------

I'm not making any headway with the seller, if anyone else is interested in it, let me know and I can pm or post the details.

oneman42
01-20-12, 11:28 PM
sorry, where ?
http://www.inspectmyride.com/Condition%20Report/conditional%20Report.aspx?i=4188830#
I think is the photo #15

George

rjoffe
01-22-12, 03:11 PM
Thanks !

cbhman
01-26-12, 10:24 PM
rjoffe, this is hilarious. I am actually scheduled to drive 200 miles to buy this car on Saturday. My stomach dropped when I saw your report. The seats look normally worn to me and the rusting on the exhaust looks normal too but I cant help but wonder if that fender has been replaced or repainted. Would you mind sharing more information with me?

rjoffe
01-27-12, 09:24 AM
Sure, whatever you need. What questions do you have ?

smackdownCTSV
01-27-12, 09:39 AM
rjoffe, this is hilarious. I am actually scheduled to drive 200 miles to buy this car on Saturday. My stomach dropped when I saw your report. The seats look normally worn to me and the rusting on the exhaust looks normal too but I cant help but wonder if that fender has been replaced or repainted. Would you mind sharing more information with me?

Depends on what you're going to offer.

rjoffe
01-27-12, 10:21 AM
Depends on what you're going to offer.

More like what the seller would accept.

They were not even willing to negotiate with me :(

smackdownCTSV
01-27-12, 11:06 AM
More like what the seller would accept.

They were not even willing to negotiate with me :(

Agreed. I wouldn't drive 200 miles before making an offer.

cbhman
01-27-12, 03:43 PM
Oh I have an offer in place and they are giving me good value for my trade. They came down to $47k.

They are assuring me that no body / paint work has been done and that there is zero rust. The more I look at it, the more everything looks like normal wear.

Did the dealership give you any other details that arent in the post?

rjoffe
01-27-12, 09:10 PM
Did you read the inspectMyRide report I posted ? I have enough concerns to pass.

To give you an idea I have been looking for a V2 (I have a V1) for over a year and a half. The specs I want were matched perfectly by this car (I am quite the picky one). This is only the second car that I have found in that time period with the specs I want (the other was repo'd with major unknown motor mods).

However there were a number of issues:

Both the paint thickness measurements and the marks (chipped paint due to wrenching) on the bolts indicate replacement.
The front bumper has pretty significant chips. On a 40K+ car that's not acceptable.
There is missing trim on the front bumper which means abuse to me.
Seats are worn, again on a 40K+ car that's not acceptable.
Tires need replacement (2" gash on one)
GM VIS has some disturbing details about needing regular jumpstarts and a few tows to the dealership
With 18k miles it should not have much wear. I bought my V1 with 18k miles and it looked and smelled brand new.
So with all those items, I felt that this V2 was abused, and I would not pay $47k. $47k is a fair price for a V2 with that kind of miles which was not abused.

That's just my 2c, like I said above, I am very picky.

Ron

cbhman
01-27-12, 09:30 PM
I appreciate your input and I too am pretty picky. I agree that $47k is fair for a non-abused car.

I am going to go ahead and drive out to see it. I brought up all of the concerns you just listed out and they sent me extensive pictures of everything I asked about. I may not be quite as picky as you when it comes to rock chips and seat wear since I will be daily driving the car. I have a feeling the report may have blown things out of proportion a little bit.

I am going to see the car knowing that I very well might have wasted a trip but it is such a nice combo of options that I think it will be worth it. If it turns out that the dings / seat wear and such are more on the normal side than I will probably buy it.

Do you have any more details on the GM VIS reports? Was the previous owner just bad with keeping the battery charged possibly?

rjoffe
01-27-12, 09:49 PM
I have the full VIS report, email me at my handle @ yahoo

smackdownCTSV
01-27-12, 10:58 PM
Oh I have an offer in place and they are giving me good value for my trade. They came down to $47k.

They are assuring me that no body / paint work has been done and that there is zero rust. The more I look at it, the more everything looks like normal wear.

Did the dealership give you any other details that arent in the post?

$47K? Really? You can do better. It's a '09 not a '10. I wouldn't pay anymore than $43K-$44K, $40K-$41K if it's been in an accident. I've seen a few 2011's sell for a little over $50K. 1 was even Certified.

Cub Cadet
01-28-12, 04:19 PM
This car is a TERRIBLE deal. There is no way that this car should sell for more than $42k... Out The Door. The history of this car proves that it is a mess and one to stay away from. The used car market for these cars is as follows (regardless of year and covers 2009 - 2011 with under 30k miles)):
1.) Used automatic transmission cars: $40k - $45k
2.) Used manual transmission cars: $45k - $50k

I would keep looking for another car.

rjoffe
01-28-12, 05:11 PM
$42K was my offer to the dealer almost two weeks ago, he offered no counter, and said that was not worth discussing.

I'll keep on looking :)

rjoffe
01-29-12, 10:50 AM
cbhman (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=150965),

Did you pick it up yesterday ?

cbhman
01-29-12, 04:33 PM
I did pick it up yesterday.

First I want to apologize to the thread starter, I have kind of hijacked your thread and I hope to add some value to it with this post.

When I got the the dealership yesterday and saw the car it looked awesome. I'll try to address each of the issues:

The seats were in excellent condition, there is slight wear for 20k miles but NOTHING that would be out of the ordinary. The inspection report was off to say they were in very poor condition, they are in very good to excellent condition.

There is NO rust on under the car. The exhaust has some slight discoloring that is unavoidable for any exhaust system. The report is wrong again.

As to the front right fender - I spent a lot of time looking at the fitment of the panel, looking for overspray in the engine bay and the door areas, and for anything that would tell me that there was some history here. I found absolutely nothing. For the fender to come off there are 3-4 bolts that are required to be taken out. Yes, one of them had some scratches on it but the other ones were factory perfect. They didnt look like a wrench had touched them at all. I dont believe this vehicle has been in an accident or had any paint work in any way.

The car has a clear bra protection system on the nose of the car. One of the edges has a slight wrinkle that you can see from a few feet away. It isnt enough to bother me and if it ever did, I could just have the bra removed. Yes, there are a couple of very small dings in the front, truly unavoidable for any car that sees a street. They were blown way out of proportion on the reports.

The marks on the wheels and tires were minimal and look to me like when an alignment was done that the tech did not do a very good job and put a couple of dings in them. The tires are in no way compromised.

As to the history report, i looked at this thing for what seemed like hours. I was trying to figure out what the real history behind the car was because the codes just dont tell that much. My final conclusion is that the previous owner just wasnt a big car guy and didnt know what to do when something popped up. I would like to know why the car was towed twice but there really is no way for me to find out. Other than the tows and the brake module being replaced, it seemed that the rest of the history was pretty normal.

To anyone that is looking at buying a used V2:

I fully support getting an inspection report done on a car that you cannot view personally. Take the report with a grain of salt though, everything that was reported on this car was blown so far out of proportion that it made it sound like it had a history that wasnt there. These inspection companies have to make a big deal of every flaw on the car so that a potential buyer has no recourse when they get a car that has any type of issue. My advice: Make the effort to see a car before you buy it.

The VIS reports are great as well. Use the forums or a buddy to get them if you can. Get as much detail as you can as well. Try not to make assumptions on information that just isnt there though.

The other things that I looked for were rocking seats, any type of clicking from the wheels or rear end when doing slow speed figure 8s, clutch feel, and any signs of abuse. This car had none of those things and I have zero issue with what I paid for it. It has low mileage for the year and is in very good to excellent shape. The dealership also gave me full trade value for my trade in vehicle so calculate that into your numbers as well. I dont appreciate anyone posting that I could have gotten a better deal when they havent seen the car and are making assumptions on false data.

Rjoffe, thank you so much for helping out and I hope you find the perfect car.

rjoffe
01-29-12, 04:52 PM
cbhman,

Thanks for the thorough feedback, it is much appreciated.

Good luck with the car, enjoy !

Ron

Cub Cadet
01-29-12, 05:08 PM
I did not recognize that this was a 6sp manual car... price of $47k out the door seems reasonable. I was definitely mistaken on that aspect - my apologies.
Did you get them to at least throw in the plastic trim pieces that were missing from the bottom of the front bumper cover? That will save you at least $150. If they did not, you can order from the parts counter and priocing has ranged from $130 - $160. Or, you can go to Rockauto.com and order it there... I think the kit was $90 shipped.

cbhman
01-29-12, 05:19 PM
I didnt get them to throw it in because it just seemed petty at that point. Thanks for letting me know where I can get them, I haven't decided if I want them or not.

Yeah it is a 6sp manual and at least in my research it seemed like a fair price especially considering it was relatively close to me and manuals are so damn hard to find it seems.

As a bonus, the car has a Corsa catback on it that I didnt know about. That saved me some cash :)

thebigjimsho
01-29-12, 07:19 PM
It's a stock piece of aerodynamics. I don't think it's petty at all. In fact, I'd call them and ask them. Show other cars, show the part numbers and ask for them. I've seen petty. That would be FAR from petty...

Houdini
01-29-12, 07:37 PM
Congrats on the purchase and nice choice on the manual! You got a great color combo too. As for the front trim pieces, go with rockauto... I did and they ship fast. Nice bonus with the corsa exhaust. ENJOY BROTHER!

smackdownCTSV
01-29-12, 09:14 PM
You could have gotten a better deal, you overpaid by at least $5K.

Cub Cadet
01-30-12, 09:21 AM
You could have gotten a better deal, you overpaid by at least $5K.

If it was an automatic, I would completely agree. The 6spd manuals are drawing huge $$ since they are so rare.